The WickedFieroGTP build by WickedFieroGTP
Started on: 06-09-2013 02:17 PM
Replies: 14 (703 views)
Last post by: paulcal on 06-20-2014 02:54 PM
WickedFieroGTP

Feedback score:    (44)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WickedFieroGTPSend a Private Message to WickedFieroGTPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good afternoon Fiero world,

This is my first post since finding this website. I have been floating around the site for a couple of weeks reading the threads and searching the archives gathering information on doing a 3800sc swap. There is quite a bit of information on here and everyone seams really helpful.

Here is a real quick bio on me before I get to the topic at hand. I am a 17 year active duty member of the U.S. Navy, currently stationed at NAS Jacksonville, Jacksonville FL. My current position is as a P-3 aviation structural mechanic instructor at the school house here in FL, prior to instructing I was a P-3/C-2 structural mechanic. I have a working knowledge of sheet metal fabrication and hydraulics. While I do have some basic knowledge of automobiles I have never endeavored into a project of this magnitude and hope you guys don’t mind if I lean on you for help. Enough about me lets get back on topic.

I picked up a 97 GTP, stuck it in the garage and started to tear it down. The plan is to refresh the motor and trans and drop them it into an auto fiero when I come across a solid rolling chassis. Here is a rundown of what I have pulled so far. I might have pulled more than I needed to but I figured its better to have more than not enough. The car is heading to the scrap yard this week, so I was hoping someone could let me know if there is anything else I need to pull before it goes. Additionally, if there is anything I pulled that I should toss.

One engine, trans, engine side wire harness and one newb engine puller!

The drivers side axle. The boot clip was off and grease was everywhere. Is it still serviceable?

Electronic components, PCM, fuse block, not sure what the three on the left are.

Complete dash wiring harness.

Throttle cables and engine side shift cable.

Misc. A/C lines. Would like to keep A/C in fiero.

Ok well that's what I have so far. Any info you guys can provide would be great. Tomorrow I am going to start breaking down the motor. Tonight I am taking my daughter to see the WWE. She has to be the biggest John Cena fan in the world.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the dash wiring and BCM can be tossed (save the wires themself though for splices) unless you plan on updating the cluster and adding a BCM, nor the fuse box, the 97 computer is recommended to be changed with the 98+ style, I don't know much about AC in the swap but I don't think you need much of those AC parts. I'd recommend replacing the axles. The stock fiero throttle cable can be used, you just have to modify the TB linkage end a little bit.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - (pending L67 swap: VS cam, GenV) Build Progress eta: 7/8-13
98 GTP - Some mods

[This message has been edited by sco77 (edited 06-09-2013).]

WickedFieroGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WickedFieroGTPSend a Private Message to WickedFieroGTPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

Well the dash wiring and BCM can be tossed (save the wires themself though for splices) unless you plan on updating the cluster and adding a BCM, nor the fuse box, the 97 computer is recommended to be changed with the 98+ style, I don't know much about AC in the swap but I don't think you need much of those AC parts. I'd recommend replacing the axles. The stock fiero throttle cable can be used, you just have to modify the TB linkage end a little bit.

No need for BCM and dash wire harness. Check. I'll stash them away for possible upgrade at a later date.
Hmmm, 98+ computer. Guess I will take a trip to the local pick and pull.
I recall reading you have to adapt the 3800 A/C lines to the fiero ones. Going to have to invest some more research time on that subject.
Was thinking the same thing in regard to the axles.
Lose the throttle cables. Check.

Thanks for the feedback sco77. BTW, I checked out your build thread and I have to say it looks great. I will defiantly be following it closely.
WickedFieroGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WickedFieroGTPSend a Private Message to WickedFieroGTPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rescued this guy on Sunday. The car had been sitting since 2004.

I open the hood and found this guy on the plenum.

Got it home and started to break it down.

Do I need to replace this rotor?

Ran into this guy while removing the engine.

Engine out and ready to be removed from the cradle..

Sending out the 3.8 heads on Monday. Hopefully they check out good.
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WickedFieroGTP:

Do I need to replace this rotor?

Why do you think that? Looks fine to me.

Might want to check the rear frame rails for rot, as well as the trunk and the entire underside.

[This message has been edited by SCCA FIERO (edited 07-04-2013).]

WickedFieroGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WickedFieroGTPSend a Private Message to WickedFieroGTPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

Why do you think that? Looks fine to me.

Might want to check the rear frame rails for rot, as well as the trunk and the entire underside.

So far the only rust I have found has been surface rust.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that car is in rough shape!! But if there is no structural rust, thats pretty amazing!

Good luck!
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This proves how cheap Fiero owners can be...

The previous owner really got his money's worth out of that one...
I mean it's ALMOST worn out!

WickedFieroGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WickedFieroGTPSend a Private Message to WickedFieroGTPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's crazy right! I have never seen a rotor so worn down. The brake pads are completely gone as well.
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I rarely ever seen so much rust on a fiero.. I would be careful and check the car better before proceeding.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - (pending L67 swap: VS cam, GenV) Build Progress eta: 8/13
98 GTP - Some mods

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will definately be watching this one closely.
PFF
System Bot
WickedFieroGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WickedFieroGTPSend a Private Message to WickedFieroGTPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

I rarely ever seen so much rust on a fiero.. I would be careful and check the car better before proceeding.

I took the time today to look at the frame rails and under body. Believe it or not but the frame is in very good shape. While I was at it I borrowed the wife's steam cleaner and started cleaning up the engine bay. Hope she wont mind. Here's a look at the first run through.

The battery tray is pretty rusty, but I have definitely seen worse.

This cable has seen better days!

Here's a few pics of the rails and under body

All in all I think she looks solid. $400 bucks well spent in my opinion. Tomorrow I'll invest some more time into cleaning the engine bay and move on to the wheel wells after that.

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your build is starting off pretty good.That's a awesome deal for $400.
Can't wait to see the complete transformation.Definately subscribed to this one.
FFIEROFRED

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
F. W. Hall BU1 (ret) 1968 to 1990. 9 deployments. I have a SBC V8 fiero, my son has a 3800SC fiero.
overs the years we have learned that stock fiero engine/trans mounts will NOT work. they are not strong enough. The front trans mount will pull the bolts right out of the cradle.You will need to put the bat in the front to help the front turn when you are on the gas ( and get some weight out of the rear).
paulcal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it's been almost a year now..Update?

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock