Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Steering rack question. Should I rebuild it or buy a new one?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Steering rack question. Should I rebuild it or buy a new one? by zmcdonal
Started on: 05-27-2013 06:19 PM
Replies: 6 (849 views)
Last post by: dematrix86gt on 07-23-2013 11:55 AM
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2013 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need some advice. I just finished installing poly bushings in the front end of my 87 as well as new outer tie rod ends. After I got everything put back together I noticed there is play on the passengers front tire still. Is it a better idea to rebuild the rack I have now, or to buy one a already rebuilt from like AutoZone? How difficult is rebuilding the steering rack?

If I go the rebuild it myself route I have another question, I have an extra steering rack from my 85SE parts car. Now my question is, I know there were different steering ratios offered, how can I determine if my extra rack is the same as the one currently in my GT? I think the quick ratio was 3 turns lock to lock and the other was 3.5 so could I determine that by just counting the turns where it attached to the column?

Does anyone have links to detailed instructions to rebuild it? I did some searching and couldn't find any that were descriptive enough for my liking.

------------------

[This message has been edited by zmcdonal (edited 05-27-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, there was a 3 and 3.5 turn. Easy to check. Turn the steering wheel and count the turns lock to lock.

I would buy a rebuild personally but it depends how thick your wallet is. I bought 2 when they were only $100 a couple of years ago and stashed the extra as a spare. Think they $150 - 200 now.

That said, the 1/2 turn extra on the non-sport rack isn't all that much different in the scheme of things if that is all you can find. We are talking 1/4T left or right more.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 05-28-2013).]

TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you only have play on one side it's probably the inner tie rod that is shot.
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rebuild the rack, lots cheaper and quicker unless you have all sorts of money to blow.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

FieroFish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFishSend a Private Message to FieroFishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have play in my passenger wheel as well. I also get rattling and clunking noises when I go over bumps. It seems to me that the rack bushing is worn, because I can rock the boot and inner rod together with respect to the rack on the passenger side. The Driver's side feels solid. you can feel the play through the steering will and it makes noise if you rock it back and forth really fast. Is my diagnosis of the rack bushing correct? How hard is the rack rebuild? I would like to get my hands on instructions and what parts will be worn before I take it apart. (87 GT) Note that my suspension is all original with 78,000 miles on it, so some of the noises could be coming from there too. Any thoughts on other diagnosis techniques would be helpful.

Thanks!
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't see anything in the How To section. Thought there'd be one there.

Dennis has a writeup on how to rebuilt the rack & pinion.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-110019.html

There's also instructions and pictures in the Service Manual too (nobody looks there??).
Somebody posted them here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-116902.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-23-2013).]

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mines all tight up front but what i do experince is alot of pavement shock thru the steering wheel. i love feedback but not when your roll over a mouse turd!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock