new fiero rebuild, cv axel short by stevefrk
Started on: 05-23-2013 03:33 AM
Replies: 15 (322 views)
Last post by: FIEROFLYER on 12-24-2013 09:07 PM
stevefrk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stevefrkSend a Private Message to stevefrkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just picked up s Fiero the other day for our first 3800 swap. i got lucky i guess. Scored a 86 GT with the 3800 set in (not hooked up yet) wiring harness already done, computer already programmed (said someone from canada did it that he met on here) new tires, new struts, new cradle bushings, new motor mounts, and alot of new small parts. Engine, tranny, computer, harness, and fuel pump are from a 2001 Grand Prix GTP, all for $1500. The one thing i am curious about is the passenger side cv axel, its about an inch to short. What can i use to mate together one that will fit? i removed the engine 2 days ago to tear the engine down and go through it and make sure everything is good and took pics of the process because i read a few threads on here about the easiest ways to do it. I will post pics of the entire process to see if it helps anyone. As soon as i figure out how to post pics.

86 gt 3800 SC

[This message has been edited by stevefrk (edited 05-23-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
stevefrk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stevefrkSend a Private Message to stevefrkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When removing the engine i used an engine lift to hook to the engine and unbolted the cradle and dropped the cradle onto the legs of the hoist. After dropping the cradle i hooked the chain to the trunk latch and raised the car until i had enough clearance and set in blocks and car stands. I unhooked the hoist and slid it out with the cradle on the legs. I did put a 2x4 across the end for extra support but may not have needed it. I set the cradle aside (on blocks) reattached to the trunk latch and lowered the car back down onto blocks and jacks. took about 2 hrs.

------------------
86 gt 3800 SC

gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stevefrk:

When removing the engine i used an engine lift to hook to the engine and unbolted the cradle and dropped the cradle onto the legs of the hoist. After dropping the cradle i hooked the chain to the trunk latch and raised the car until i had enough clearance and set in blocks and car stands. I unhooked the hoist and slid it out with the cradle on the legs. I did put a 2x4 across the end for extra support but may not have needed it. I set the cradle aside (on blocks) reattached to the trunk latch and lowered the car back down onto blocks and jacks. took about 2 hrs.

looks like a nice score.

what did you put those jackstands on?

FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NEVER, NEVER use concrete blocks on their SIDE ! They will FAIL ! Wood on top of them is GOOD!
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a LOT of 3800SC "experts" on here. I haven't followed the 3800SC installs but one of them should be able to help you find the correct axle.
You got a HECK of a deal on that car!
Have fun!

------------------
Life is just SO much better when you own AND drive a Fiero!

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FFIEROFRED:

NEVER, NEVER use concrete blocks on their SIDE ! They will FAIL ! Wood on top of them is GOOD!

I wouldn't even use them.... get some good blocks of wood. It is too easy for cement blocks to crumble, even spreading the load.

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FFIEROFRED:

I agree. Please don't use concrete blocks, especially on their side like that. It's really not safe. There are much better ways to support the car. I'd hate to see someone get hurt using them. Also, even though I admit I have done it, don't use the trunk latch to pick up the car. It was never designed for that purpose and I have seen them start to tear out. I never use it now, I use the bolt holes on the strut towers, I made some simple brackets that I wrap a lifting sling around.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3 1/2 ton jackstands with a 4 x 4 on top spanning the width of the car works well.

Good score. Hope you get the rats nest install organized.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As if that wasn't enough, aren't those jack stands on the coolant tubes?

and Welcome to the Forum!

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-23-2013).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice "catch", the cooling tubes are definitely taking the weight !
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
Be "aware", that when you tear the engine down, you'll have to buy ALL NEW BOLTS (head, rod, main) they are all torque to yield, just the rod bolts are $95 !
PFF
System Bot
stevefrk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevefrkSend a Private Message to stevefrkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i didnt realize they were on the coolant lines and i wont use blocks anymore, i see how it could be unsafe, this is my first build so i know i will make a few mistakes along the way. im not very happy at what i found today, tell me what you guys think from the pics below

gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stevefrk:

i didnt realize they were on the coolant lines and i wont use blocks anymore, i see how it could be unsafe, this is my first build so i know i will make a few mistakes along the way. im not very happy at what i found today, tell me what you guys think from the pics below]

You have to learn somehow, but you're doing ok.

that looks pretty rusty...
pay close attention during your teardown, maybe its worse in pictures?

[This message has been edited by gen2muchwork (edited 05-28-2013).]

stevefrk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevefrkSend a Private Message to stevefrkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't posted in awhile but I tore the engine down and all the rust cleaned off pretty good and was only surface rust. The engine itself looks really good. I have it 1/2 done but have been a little to busy to put the time in I would have liked.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a great car you picked up. Hopefully you can post pics frequently, I'd love to see your progress. You don't seem to be in a panic to get this running, so taking the time to go through the engine carefully will pay off.

Did you check out the cooling tubes? Likely want to replace them now that they sat on the blocks. Also, as mentioned before...never use the trunk latch to lift the car. There are a number of posts about this. I think the favorite method is to run a piece of angle iron between to two strut mounts to use as a lift point. If you don't mind a little extra work, remove the rear bumper molding and then you can hook safely to the bumper.

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wiring and writing on PCM looks very familiar the harness is designed to run under the super charger where it crosses from one side of the engine to the other. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock