Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Hey rear coil over owners what spring rate are you using? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hey rear coil over owners what spring rate are you using? by solotwo
Started on: 05-14-2013 10:53 AM
Replies: 44 (2744 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 04-20-2014 02:03 PM
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Do the springs ever need to be any stronger that the bare minimum to keep the suspension from bottoming out? I understand that the less travel you have, the stiffer the springs would have to be. So that brings my next question, why would you want to reduce suspension travel by using the short coil-over springs such as the 7 inch ones? If the whole sleeve is threaded, couldn't you use the longer springs set lower on the sleeve and still have the same ride height and also have more suspension travel?

How much sag should the springs have? 1/4 to 1/3 the total travel? If you have a 7 inch spring, you've already lost 1.75 to 2.30 inches of available travel. You will need a REALLY stiff spring to keep from bottoming out on normal pot holes and such.

The spring rate needs be enough to keep the suspension in a good range of motion (to control camber, toe, etc), and keep the bodywork off the road. The softest rate that achieves those requirements is generally the best rate to run.

I typically choose spring length based on what puts the coilover perch at the point where the spring is just barely compressed at full droop, so that I can avoid using a helper spring if I don't have to.

A good rule of thumb is 2 inches of compression and 2 inches of rebound travel, minimum.

A nice progressive bump stop is also a good idea.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 04-20-2014).]

IP: Logged
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

The softest rate that achieves those requirements is generally the best rate to run.

EXACTLY!!!!

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

How much sag should the springs have? 1/4 to 1/3 the total travel? If you have a 7 inch spring, you've already lost 1.75 to 2.30 inches of available travel. You will need a REALLY stiff spring to keep from bottoming out on normal pot holes and such.

This is one of the reasons I went with 10" springs on my rear suspension. Yeah, I had to cut off the stock spring perches. But IMO it was worth it to avoid coil bind on a hard bump.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

This is one of the reasons I went with 10" springs on my rear suspension.
Yeah, I had to cut off the stock spring perches. But IMO it was worth it to avoid coil bind on a hard bump.

Agreed. The question should be "what LENGTH of spring AND what rate are you running?"

The length of spring, number of coils etc. ALL count toward the "ride and feel".

I can see guys running 8" springs needing a 350# rate to keep from bottoming out.
But I expect that a short 8" 350# spring would feel very different than a 12" 350# spring.

I installed the Arrault coil-over kit - LONG springs with 275# rate (stock was about 250# I'm told).
Handles and drives well without jarring the teeth out of your head.

Site: http://arrautmotorsports.co...pension-information/

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-20-2014).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound: Agreed. The question should be "what LENGTH of spring AND what rate are you running?"

I'm pretty sure I posted the rate earlier, but it's 350 lb/in... on a 10" spring. Both the previous '87 rear and new '88 rear suspensions are using the same KYB struts. But the '87 rear suspension had Eibach springs. IMO, the '88 rear suspension with the coilovers feels more civilized than the previous '87 rear suspension, even though the coilover springs are probably stiffer than the Eibach springs.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock