Quad 4 swap by 4thfiero
Started on: 04-30-2013 06:35 PM
Replies: 8 (453 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 05-02-2013 08:21 PM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

04-30-2013 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroClick Here to Email 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey everyone! Looking into a possible quad 4 swap (deciding between the ecotec and quad 4) What can anyone tell me about the quad 4 engine? Good engine? bad one? Reliable? Can i get 300 hp out of it using 87 octane? I heard of head gasket issues?...ive done a lot of research on the ecotec but not so much on the quad 4. Seem to be getting mixed results. THANKS!

IP: Logged

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 164
Rate this member

04-30-2013 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4thfiero:

Hey everyone! Looking into a possible quad 4 swap (deciding between the ecotec and quad 4) What can anyone tell me about the quad 4 engine? Good engine? bad one? Reliable? Can i get 300 hp out of it using 87 octane? I heard of head gasket issues?...ive done a lot of research on the ecotec but not so much on the quad 4. Seem to be getting mixed results. THANKS!

Quite a few people have done the Quad-4 swap... it was really popular several years back, but I haven't seen too much talk about it lately. I think that probably has a lot to do with both availability of the engines (the HO ones), as well as better more fuel efficient and powerful alternatives (Ecotec).

There are two "Quad 4" swaps, basically... one of them is the HO Quad 4 (or even the W31 version), and the other is the LD9 TwinCam swap, which is the 2.4L, slightly more modern, version of the Quad-4. The difference is an ever so slightly lower red-line, but it comes with balancing shafts (sort of like the Porsche 944 had), runs a bit smoother, and usually gets better fuel economy. It also has a bit more usable torque in the lower RPMs, so it makes it a bit more driveable around-town. What the people with the 2.4 have done, is something called the "Secret Cam Swap"... but it's not really a secret if everyone knows about it. They basically take an exhaust cam from one year of Quad-4, and then take an intake cam from another year of Quad 4 (can't remember the years, but may the intake cam from 95, and the exhaust cam from 93-94), and that bumps up the horsepower by something like 20hp, with better high-end power, and more low-end torque... bringing it to around ~210 some odd horsepower with a few bolt-ons and a decent exhaust. It weighs less of course, so in a low-optioned coupe... they were seeing mid-14s and something like mid 30s in fuel economy with a 5-Speed.

That hasn't been so popular lately because you basically get that already from a stock 2.4 VVT Ecotec now.

Even still, with the 2.4 LD9 TwinCam, there's a SuperCharger that you can get that bolts right on. It was a kit that was offered by GM specifically meant to be used in the Z24 Cavalier and Sunfire GT.

Many people with the Z24 and the 5-Speed (in the Cavalier) were getting high-14s stock according to a few magazines back then. With the SuperCharger, I'm sure that puts you squarely into the low 14s, and decent fuel economy.

I really liked the 2.4 TwinCam, I had two cars with it...

But I would price a 2.4 VVT Ecotec in the mean time... you might just be better off getting one of those to be quite honest. There were a lot of cars offered with that engine.

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

04-30-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

that supercharger setup is sexy!

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

05-01-2013 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroClick Here to Email 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats some good info, thanks man!

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (64)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

05-01-2013 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageClick Here to Email sardonyx247Send a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To start quads don't even run on 87 octane, they want prem, as it has 10:1 compression stock. That being said 300hp requires boost, you can get about 200-220ish N/A from a HO/W41 quad, with porting and mods. With boost and built right you can hit 500hp.
the 2.4s make about 25% less power than a HO quad 2.3L, rev less and just no one really wants one to do a swap with. ALL the info on putting in a Quad4 into a Fiero can be found in my swap thread Quad 4 swap (lot of pics) I just finished mine and it is deffinitly fun to drive, and revs to 7400 RPM with the W41 chip. BTW there is about 600+ pics in my swap thread.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 05-01-2013).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

05-01-2013 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroClick Here to Email 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey, so the quad 4 engine takes premium gas? even normally without mods? And how reliable is the engine? I have heard a lot of ppl having issues with the water pumps and head gaskets? Also one more important question, i have heard that the engine has awesome power after 3000 rpm, but the low end touque isnt so grand. Is that true? any way to fix that?

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (64)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

05-02-2013 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageClick Here to Email sardonyx247Send a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The head gasket problem is the stock ones kinda suck, put on a felpro and it should be fine, I don't know about the water pump issue, I put on a new one, as the one on the engine was leaking out the weep hole. I haven't driven it long enough to really find out. The low end TQ is lower than above 3k RPM, but I wouldn't call it gutless, it hits 3k pretty fast and then it hits 7400 really fast. The power band is definitely from 3 k and up all the way untill redline.

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

05-02-2013 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroClick Here to Email 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

The head gasket problem is the stock ones kinda suck, put on a felpro and it should be fine, I don't know about the water pump issue, I put on a new one, as the one on the engine was leaking out the weep hole. I haven't driven it long enough to really find out. The low end TQ is lower than above 3k RPM, but I wouldn't call it gutless, it hits 3k pretty fast and then it hits 7400 really fast. The power band is definitely from 3 k and up all the way untill redline.

Thats good to know about the head gasket, also i heard about cracked heads? and there's a certain head unit to look for that is less likley to crack? also when you drive the fiero around 100-120 kph, what rpm does she rev at to maintain that speed in a 5 speed? Thanks for all the help

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 164
Rate this member

05-02-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey, so the quad 4 engine takes premium gas? even normally without mods? And how reliable is the engine? I have heard a lot of ppl having issues with the water pumps and head gaskets? Also one more important question, i have heard that the engine has awesome power after 3000 rpm, but the low end touque isnt so grand. Is that true? any way to fix that?

I've owned two TwinCams, and both of them had the water pumps fail around 80k miles. If you install a new one before you install your motor, you probably won't have any issues. The only thing that makes it a pain in the butt is that it's driven by the timing chain... that's both a good and a bad thing.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock