Removing glue stain from headliner by FieroGTChile87
Started on: 04-28-2013 04:11 AM
Replies: 9 (5209 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 07-13-2015 07:52 PM
FieroGTChile87

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTChile87Send a Private Message to FieroGTChile87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided to replace my headliner with material purchased from the Fiero Store, and all went well, except for one problem; there is a nickle sized mark where the glue bled through in one spot.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to get it out? Is there any hope?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dab lighter fluid on a cloth and light rub the glue spot. might try a scrap piece first make sure it does not discolor material

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or mineral spirits (paint thinner).
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you know about the glue? Odds of success are low on this....
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it was just on the surface I would say brake parts cleaner but because it's a bleed thru you may have a low percentage of success.
I agree that I would recreate with some scrap liner and try a few of the suggestions offered first.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on type of glue, if you used the aerosol can u will have a better chance

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 04-28-2013).]

FieroGTChile87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTChile87Send a Private Message to FieroGTChile87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used "K-Grip" in an aerosol can which the Fiero Store sent me with the liner material.

I didn't have lighter fluid, but found some Goo Gone and dabbed the surface with it. I had some mild success, in that it can still be seen, but the stain is no longer white and crusty. I'll have another go at it, and it if proves to be unsuccessful, I'll try some of the other remedies mentioned.
Matthew_Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lighter fluid works beautifully! Not 100% but unnoticeable to everyone but you! Thank you for the tip!
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Carpet Cleaner guy uses "Brake Cleaner" to get out nasty stains. I've used it before on my upholstery to spot clean grease. May not have any affect on glue, but as stated try it on a piece of scrap first.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The factory and replacement fabrics for headliners is pretty fragile. I doubt your going to get any passable results with anything. The fabric is very porous and fuzzy. Its almost impossible to even get some mild dirt out of it without rubbing down the nap or discoloring it. I detail cars, and light color headliners are a nitemare to mess with and seldom look better after. Wish you good luck though. Best chance is patting...and NOT rubbing at all. Even my professional upholstery cleaner machine cant do anything with them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock