Removing Crankshaft Pulley Bolt 3800 series II by hinesb1890
Started on: 04-20-2013 08:55 PM
Replies: 12 (2610 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 05-15-2015 03:42 PM
hinesb1890

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any thoughts on how to remove this bolt? The engine is on a stand and that is the only pulley left on it
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I removed the bolt holding mine on with an impact gun. You will need a puller to get the pulley off.
troy
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I will need to suck it up and just buy an impact gun, any ideas without one?
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 1/2" IR Titanium impact wrench couldn't do it...was finally able to get it with a 3/4".
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CowsPatoot

2792 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by hinesb1890:

I think I will need to suck it up and just buy an impact gun, any ideas without one?

LOL.....sorry, but..
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

My 1/2" IR Titanium impact wrench couldn't do it...was finally able to get it with a 3/4".

yeah depends on brand of gun and how good the compressor is, and so on... Mine did come off with my 1/2 inch gun, although it was about all it wanted to do. lol
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bent a 3/4" galvanized pipe on the end of a large breaker bar, with my engine stand secured down.... The bolt still didnt break loose... Believe it or not a cheap electric impact gun got it off.

Impact is the best bet when on the engine stand, although I always wondered if an impact there hurts rod or crank bearings.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - (pending L67 swap)
98 GTP - Some mods

GM Shane

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GM ShaneSend a Private Message to GM ShaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a flywheel lock, or have someone hold a screwdriver in the flywheel. Get a big old pipe, breaker bar, and 24 mm socket.

That's how I did it. I didn't even knock it off the three wheeled Harbor Freight engine stand.

Also, as mentioned you'll need a pulley puller to get it off. Most kits don't come with the correct bolts. I think they're M5x100 with a couple of fender washers to fill the gaps.

[This message has been edited by GM Shane (edited 04-20-2013).]

hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys some good ideas there, I will tackle it tomorrow and see what happens
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Years ago we got crankshaft bolts off with a breaker bar. We used to pop a spark plug , lower the piston, and put in some knotted clothes line levavng about a foot outside.. This would hold the piston before TDC so we would could loosen the bolt without the engine rotating. I am not sure that it would even work on todays engines, and I cannot recommend it, but it was a "poorman" technique that worked way back when as a kid I could not afford impact tools. I used many stone age procedures back then and surprisingly most worked.
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've taken off many many crank bolts and the 6-7 3800's by far have been the worst.
My wifes 04 model my $$$ matco 1/2" or my cheapie wouldn't remove it even with regulator maxed at 160psi and fresh oil.
I stopped by Ford and grabbed everybody's 1/2" including a couple high dollar snapon's and then a buddies shop to grab his.
NONE of them would loosen the bolt,and we even bent a flywheel fixture I made from a strip of steel bolte to crank and block.

Finally I said screw the rubber and just took a map torch to the bolt and got it hot.
After the head started showing red spots I hit it with impact and it came out like butter.
Nearest I can figure is you gotta melt the threadlock,I think my Matco gun is rated at like 850ft/lbs.
From now on I just torch em when I first have trouble and haven't had such an issue since.

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Years ago we got crankshaft bolts off with a breaker bar. We used to pop a spark plug , lower the piston, and put in some knotted clothes line levavng about a foot outside.. This would hold the piston before TDC so we would could loosen the bolt without the engine rotating. I am not sure that it would even work on todays engines, and I cannot recommend it, but it was a "poorman" technique that worked way back when as a kid I could not afford impact tools. I used many stone age procedures back then and surprisingly most worked.

Also an excellent tip for changing valve springs in the vehicle.

[This message has been edited by DefEddie (edited 04-26-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
walterbkeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for walterbkeenSend a Private Message to walterbkeenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you still have the torque plate on the motor you can use a prybar to hold it while turning the crank bolt with a long cheater bar.
Very easy with two people but manageable by one person.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"I think I will need to suck it up and just buy an impact gun, " you work on Fiero's and don't have an impact gun? THAT is #1 that you need !

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock