Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  NRG Steering Wheel Short Hub and Quick Release Install with After Market Wheel

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
NRG Steering Wheel Short Hub and Quick Release Install with After Market Wheel by CrazyDragn
Started on: 04-19-2013 02:33 PM
Replies: 15 (5108 views)
Last post by: redromo on 03-22-2024 09:50 AM
CrazyDragn

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since I was having yet another hard time finding the correct way to install after market steering wheels and short hubs with quick releases on Fieros and still keep your horn; I thought I would do another write up. So, here we go:
What you will need:
1. NRG Short HUB #170
2. NRG second generation Quick Release #srk-200 (cbk) - (the cbk stands for carbon/black)
3. Allen wrenches
4. 13/16 socket (for wheel nut)
5. Steering wheel removal kit

First:
You need to take off the current steering wheel on you Fiero with the steering wheel remover kit. (These can be purchased at any local auto store)

Take off the horn pad using a flat head screw driver and pry from the side (there is a small opening if you look for and it should just pop off).

Use a flat head screw driver to take off the pin just above the 13/16th bolt, and then take off the bolt.

Place the center of the remover kit with the threaded bolts already in the sides of the center bracket then use the threaded bolts on the remover kit and place in holes (there are two just alike on the steering wheel center).

Use a wrench or socket to press and pull off the steering wheel.

When the steering wheel is off, it should look like this:

Second:
You will want to take the aluminum pin out by twisting the black pin (carefull it does have a spring behind it).
Take a wire and fix it to the BOTTOM of the spring and slide the black pin back over top (hold on to this for late use).

Third:
Here you want to take the NRG Short Hub (short hub #170) and place it on the steering column with the NRG on the top side
At this time you can go ahead and hook up the negative wire for the horn to the quick realse hub that connects to the main hub that you just put on steering wheel.

Fourth:
Now you want to place the spring in the hub hole where the aluminum piece was that you took out for horn supression, this will keep the wire in contact with the positive (+) connection. Be sure to tuck all the wires in and now bolt the quick release bottom section onto the short hub.

Fifth:
Now you want to place the bolt back on the steering column and tighten down real tight and then place the "D" pin back on over the bolt area.
Also, do not forget to solder and cover the positive horn wire with heat shrink.

Sixth:
Once the bottom hub is on, you can now hook up the horn from the steering wheel. dont forget, depending on the horn button, there is a round metal piece that comes with the NRG Quick release kit that may be required to keep horn in place on the steering wheel.

Seventh and Finally:
Place the steering wheel up and line up the holes, place in the screws and whaalllaaa!!

Hope this helps, I will update as needed:
Jason - aka CrazyDragn

------------------
Notchie to Fast Back Conversion

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 04-22-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroDan86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDan86Send a Private Message to FieroDan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for taking the time to do a nice write up with great pictures! Nice work. I just recently installed a leather Grant wheel with the billet adapter in my 88GT. SOOO much nicer than the cracked, rotted, sticky, baked original I had before.
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroDan86:

Thanks for taking the time to do a nice write up with great pictures! Nice work. I just recently installed a leather Grant wheel with the billet adapter in my 88GT. SOOO much nicer than the cracked, rotted, sticky, baked original I had before.

I know, and with my now ferrari, it was hard turning shifting gears with the manual and now with the ferrari steering wheel, it is so much easier!,
Thanks for the comments,
Jason

------------------

After Market Steering Wheel Conversion

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you like the feel of the new wheel in your hands?

Jonathan
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

How do you like the feel of the new wheel in your hands?

Jonathan

The difference is fanaminal. It is just a tad smaller than the stock fiero wheel but has that fighter grip feel to it. In all, Muuuuuch Better.
now I dont have to worry about my knee hitting the steering wheel during shifts

------------------

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 05-25-2013).]

suede_barry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for suede_barrySend a Private Message to suede_barryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im in the proccess of doing this myself, the wheel i bought doesnt match up with the stock hub, I dont want to do a quick release tho, would i just need the short hub adapter then?
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can actually do this without the quick release. All the bolts line up still even without it. you just need the short hub by NRG.

I just chose the quick release so can say to insurance that I have an atni-theft device, and to keep someone from stealing my car.

------------------

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project Has Begun

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm installing a Momo wheel and after a lot of looking around I went with this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-H...&hash=item3cc7070f9a

My wheel has zero dish and this adapter places it within a 1/16" of OEM. I did powder coat it matte black, btw.
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just make sure it has the hole placed for the horn supressor
Jason

------------------

Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reviving this old topic to ask a question...

I understand the theft deterrent reason for installing a quick release steering wheel. Didn't see any comments about improving the ease of getting into or out of the car. I am in my late fifties and thinking strongly about an '88 GT or Formula. The GT I am considering right now has actually been lowered a bit. I'm 5' 8" and 180 lbs. and still have to lever in and out of these cars.

So, do older guys install these for ease of accessibility?
mr_corean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

Reviving this old topic to ask a question...

I understand the theft deterrent reason for installing a quick release steering wheel. Didn't see any comments about improving the ease of getting into or out of the car. I am in my late fifties and thinking strongly about an '88 GT or Formula. The GT I am considering right now has actually been lowered a bit. I'm 5' 8" and 180 lbs. and still have to lever in and out of these cars.

So, do older guys install these for ease of accessibility?

Obviously you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. The reason I say that is because other than the steering wheel there isn't a whole lot to hold onto if you are wiggling in and out of these. I personally hold onto the A pillar with my left hand and drop into the car and then pull myself out with the same technique. That leaves a dirty spot on the paint though. Everyone else that I let drive the car though uses the steering wheel to some degree as it is really the only "handle" that can be used.

Edit for being stupid.

[This message has been edited by mr_corean (edited 03-07-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem with using the steering wheel as your support draws to the problem of the only two bolts that hold your steering wheel on the column to keep it from wiggling around, the more you use it the more it becomes loose. Trust me I have had to dig down into one of these puppies and they are not an easy put back together = very time consuming just to tighten two hex bolts.

I recommend spinning so that both your feet on on the ground and then use the pillar inner door frame and the hand rail for support. I'm 6' 3" and 290lbs and this works for me and yes mine is lowered too.

------------------

iGTO BUMPER SALE

2kewlgypsy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2kewlgypsySend a Private Message to 2kewlgypsyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the short hub too, but not quick release. Problem there was I didn't have the clearence to use the hor button - NRG also makes a spacer for $20 that gives you the 1/2 inch I needed to get the horn button to hook up. Works perfectly, and very happy with it. I got the flat bottom wheel, and love it.

------------------
Dave Zane
Justin, TX
86 2m6 https://images.fiero.nl/2012/photo_(6)_4.JPG

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you use the set I have used with the numbers matching, there is no need for spacers - so save your $20 and get the right part.
Glad you enjoy

------------------

iGTO BUMPER SALE

RURC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2018 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RURCSend a Private Message to RURCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CrazyDragn:

You can actually do this without the quick release. All the bolts line up still even without it. you just need the short hub by NRG.

I just chose the quick release so can say to insurance that I have an atni-theft device, and to keep someone from stealing my car.

I just put the NRG short hum on my 87 Fiero GT and had I not been getting the quick release it would NOT have worked. The end of my spline shaft extends out past the end of the NRG short hub.
redromo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2024 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redromoSend a Private Message to redromoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Digging up this old thread hoping for some assistance.

I installed the NRG 170 short hub, NRG .5" spacer (it is needed) and NRG wheel but when I tighten down the center nut the hub rubs on the Fiero's column to the point the wheel is difficult to turn. It's almost like the short hub internal center is too short. Anyone run into this issue?

[This message has been edited by redromo (edited 03-22-2024).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock