front sway bar bushings by sledcaddie
Started on: 04-17-2013 07:59 PM
Replies: 7 (625 views)
Last post by: sricka01 on 07-13-2013 01:26 PM
sledcaddie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, when the rubber gets old and brittle on the front sway bar bushings and end links, does the bar "chatter" a bit when you drive over jolts in the road? I just replaced the front shocks, but still have this chattering noise. The steering rack and tie rods are solid too. Any opinions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroDan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2013 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDan86Send a Private Message to FieroDan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's possible, especially if they are REALLY worn, like to the point that you can grab the bar and see movement with your hands. Easily replaced with polyurethane. One of the cheapest and most cost effective upgrades there is.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2013 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They can, but I would look at your brake pads first and see if they are loose...
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be quite a few things...A loose caliper bolt, a warped rotar (only if youve been doing power stops).
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds more like Mr. Tambourine man....almost musical with all those loose washers.
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

It sounds more like Mr. Tambourine man....almost musical with all those loose washers.

Ray_and_kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are correct that it is the rubber bushings on the links for the sway bar. I swore I had something terribly loose on the suspension until I looked carefully. It would clink and clatter when going over a good bump. Then both sides started doing it! Finally looked and saw the rubber was basically gone. What you hear is the metal cylinder bouncing up and down along the bolt that connects the sway bar to the A arm.

I haven't looked at the back, but I hear similar things there now. Except folks here said there is no rear sway bar, so something else must be loose. Need one of those round tuits though.

My 88 GT also was squirrely on the road. going over moderate rises and dips in the road would make the thing want to steer to the right and then back again. The left side set of bushings was the one that was worst and the right were probably still tight enough to give some amount of pull on the steering. Once I changed out the bushings, everything was tight as can be.
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Where can I buy the red poly bushings for the sway bar? Can you buy them in individual amounts? I only need one (have seven of them on hand).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock