Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Supercharging the cadillac 4.9 with Allante intake and Gen V M90 supercharger (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Supercharging the cadillac 4.9 with Allante intake and Gen V M90 supercharger by MaxCubes
Started on: 03-20-2013 03:13 AM
Replies: 311 (27714 views)
Last post by: Will on 04-03-2019 08:55 AM
MaxCubes

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Because they're gone.

This thread is a "good" example of an unfortunate occurrence that happens here all the time when people use a method other than PIP to post images. They use a hosting site where for whatever reason, the images or the site itself disappears. We are then left to forever stare at red X's where helpful and informative images used to reside.

In some threads it makes no difference as no one cares about the thread a week after it's been posted. However, with interesting threads such as this one, it's a real shame.

Reposted most photos PIP method

IP: Logged
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

thanks Maxcubes. It would have been a shame for those to have been lost.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

That's great!

Now if you can just post the video we're all waiting for.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yeah, we want to hear that beast... preferably going through the gears.

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually planning to go to local drag strip next weekend... will try to post new video of that
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait!
Some high quality video/audio would be great
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well things did not go so well at the track...

I lost traction midway through the quarter mile, almost hit the guy in the right lane and slammed into the barrier

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damn... are you okay?
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, that is AWFUL news....
flyntus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flyntusSend a Private Message to flyntusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Sucks!!! Hope You are ok!!!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AAARRRGGHHHH!

Sorry, man! Hope you didn't get hurt in the process.
bigformula

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2015 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigformulaSend a Private Message to bigformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hope you are ok. what were your times before you wrecked it?
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The main thing is that you are ok.

Good thing is that it is a Fiero....engine is saved. How bad is the damage? Subframe twisted or just crushed up to the trunk area?
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, yea I'm fine
Car is perty much totaled... front suspension all twisted
The rear half is just fine... engine starts right up and runs good still

bigformula

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-19-2015 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigformulaSend a Private Message to bigformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got any more pics of the damage?
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MaxCubes pm sent.
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ghost187x

1026 posts
Member since Oct 2008
MaxCubes pm sent.
mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2015 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But you DID get the video, right.
mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2015 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mental floss

362 posts
Member since Aug 2014
But you DID get the video, right.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news is you're ok, and being that its a
Fiero you can just swap it all in another
2tone86gt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap what a shame man. Glad you're ok. Hope you swap that engine in another fiero. I'm sure I am not the only one who woulda liked to see the dyno numbers on your car. Thanks for reposting your pics
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?
PFF
System Bot
bigformula

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-05-2015 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigformulaSend a Private Message to bigformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
updates. more pics of the damage?
2tone86gt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theres gotta be a roller somewhere down your way to stuff that motor in man..
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have decided to donate my engine/trans assembly to a friend of mine that I have known for many years

He is currently building a Lamborghini replica on a stretched 1988 Fiero chassis

He still has the 2.8 fiero V6 and automatic in the Lambo

Soon to have the 5 speed and supercharged 4.9 V8 going in...

1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was a very nice thing for you to do. Your friend will not only have a great looking car but now the power to go with those looks.

Now if I could only find a friend in my area that knows how to do a 3800SC.
NotYourDadsPontiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotYourDadsPontiacSend a Private Message to NotYourDadsPontiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I loved reading this thread. I wonder if you could get a machine shop to build, say, 25 quality copies of your plenum design for sale here and on eBay (with a profit margin for you of course). You might as well benefit at least a little from all your hard work. It sounds like there is plenty of interest to make it worth your while. You could just take your plenum to the machine shop and let them do the work of copying it. No need to tell them what it's for.

I've always thought that supercharging or turbocharging was the perfect match for the plentiful, cheap, and relatively lightweight 4.9. Its restrictive intake and heads were designed to produce plenty of low end torque to get heavy Cadillacs moving at low RPM, but it gasps for air above 4000 RPM. WIth the Allante steel valve train support, stronger valve springs, super- or turbocharging and intercooling/water injection and a new fuel map this lightweight combination is killer for the Fiero as well as Cadillacs. I wonder if you could sell just the plenum with a list of all the necessary components to us as well as the kit car guys. Just a thought.

If you choose to do this, other enthusiasts can take up the development of water injection or intercooling to increase the power it produces even further.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotYourDadsPontiac:

I loved reading this thread. I wonder if you could get a machine shop to build, say, 25 quality copies of your plenum design for sale here and on eBay (with a profit margin for you of course). You might as well benefit at least a little from all your hard work. It sounds like there is plenty of interest to make it worth your while. You could just take your plenum to the machine shop and let them do the work of copying it. No need to tell them what it's for.

I've always thought that supercharging or turbocharging was the perfect match for the plentiful, cheap, and relatively lightweight 4.9. Its restrictive intake and heads were designed to produce plenty of low end torque to get heavy Cadillacs moving at low RPM, but it gasps for air above 4000 RPM. WIth the Allante steel valve train support, stronger valve springs, super- or turbocharging and intercooling/water injection and a new fuel map this lightweight combination is killer for the Fiero as well as Cadillacs. I wonder if you could sell just the plenum with a list of all the necessary components to us as well as the kit car guys. Just a thought.

If you choose to do this, other enthusiasts can take up the development of water injection or intercooling to increase the power it produces even further.

First off, sorry to hear of MaxCubes accident but he did walk away unharmed so that is the good news.
As for manufacturing a supercharger adapter plate, that could be done very easily on a CAM water cutter but in reality a completely new intake manifold is required. Is the 4.9L the right engine to do this on? You would also have to have a pulley system to drive the supercharger or lengthen the single belt routing to one more element and hope for the best. Max was running the Eaton M90, a 90 cubic inch supercharger. IMO, its a bit small for a 300 cubic inch engine but it should boost power without blowing the engine up . For the optimal tune a custom program with timing tables for a 2 BAR MAP needs to be designed. As boost rises you need some degree of spark retard. To my knowledge no one has a 2 BAR MAP programmed in but a table could be easily created. I believe that Max got 5 psi of boost from his setup which might be perfect for power with reliability.
The 4.9L engines seem to be in abundant supply, a very cheap to buy, and perhaps your idea is a low budget way to power.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2019 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes on 05-28-2015:

I have decided to donate my engine/trans assembly to a friend of mine that I have known for many years

He is currently building a Lamborghini replica on a stretched 1988 Fiero chassis

He still has the 2.8 fiero V6 and automatic in the Lambo

Soon to have the 5 speed and supercharged 4.9 V8 going in...

I wonder what became of that project. I was always hoping to see a successful completion to this supercharged 4.9 saga.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-01-2019).]

Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2019 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had success supercharging the Cadillac 4.5/4.9 engine. I will be track testing it his summer. I'm working on an even a stronger boosted 4.5 long rod engine.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Johns 4.9:

I have had success supercharging the Cadillac 4.5/4.9 engine. I will be track testing it his summer. I'm working on an even a stronger boosted 4.5 long rod engine.

What have you used to SC the 4.9?
Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
B&M 144 Forced Induction Supercharger
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

B&M 144 Forced Induction Supercharger

Start your own thread. This would be interesting to hear about.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock