Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Supercharging the cadillac 4.9 with Allante intake and Gen V M90 supercharger (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Supercharging the cadillac 4.9 with Allante intake and Gen V M90 supercharger by MaxCubes
Started on: 03-20-2013 03:13 AM
Replies: 311 (27713 views)
Last post by: Will on 04-03-2019 08:55 AM
joshua riedl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read through the begi installation instructions and it talked exactly about what you are experiencing. I'm only repeating is because I think you bought yours used, it said to make the initial setpoint to 36psi and then you can disconnect the vacuum line and set the pressure to 48 at 0 vacuum. These were just starting points obviously and you may have tried it already, I don't know. As far as what to ask for in the tune if you lower all the AE vs AE pulse cells by .1 or .2 it should do what you want. Whoever does your tune may want to handle it another way though.
IP: Logged
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered a new prom yesterday.

The guy I order chips from does a good job with hacked proms for 7730 ecms ( A 3rd gen F body lover )
I told him what my latest combo is, and the issues I am having...
He said the problem I have is an easy fix...
I'm not sure what values he is changing.
Will get the new chip in a couple days
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by joshua riedl:

I read through the begi installation instructions and it talked exactly about what you are experiencing. I'm only repeating is because I think you bought yours used, it said to make the initial setpoint to 36psi and then you can disconnect the vacuum line and set the pressure to 48 at 0 vacuum. These were just starting points obviously and you may have tried it already, I don't know. As far as what to ask for in the tune if you lower all the AE vs AE pulse cells by .1 or .2 it should do what you want. Whoever does your tune may want to handle it another way though.

Yea, I tried this... The PSI will not come in fast enough when I open the throttle.
It does great after one second.... But you can feel the hesitation that first second.
I also tried the large disc type FMU with no avail

The only way I can keep from getting fuel lag is by setting initial fuel pressure to 60psi
...but then I run pig rich all the time when cruising
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's why you need to be able to tune your acceleration enrichment, which you can't do with a collection of piggy back bandaids.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could also be the delay from using dual regulators. The 2035 may be better. Either way it looks like it's getting taken care of.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow... it took a long time for this guy to send me the chip, he kept giving me excuses that he was busy with this and that

But finally got it this morning... and it was worth the wait

.... No more stumble anymore when the accelerator is mashed

arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of transmission mounts are you using? I just realized I tore my newish factory trans mounts =(
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by arte444:

What kind of transmission mounts are you using? I just realized I tore my newish factory trans mounts =(

Autozone brand. I had to swap them out once a couple years ago
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Picture of gauge trio I added .... RPM, air/fuel ratio, and vacuum/boost

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 03-11-2015).]

arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice setup!
PFF
System Bot
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

Its all good raydar...

Yea...Definately glad to have the 7730 for several reasons.... knock sensor, iac compatibility, more support on tuning, availability of ready to go wiring harnesses, etc.

awesome work MaxCubes, VERY VERY impressed my your ingenuity here.

have you thought of taking this a step further and eliminating the HEI distributor? a board member on here, Robert Cope, did it to his Allante citation X-11 setup. He built up the motor( cam, P&P heads & intake, N* pistons, roller rockers, etc..) and used a 95 corvette ECM, added the corvette Throttlebody, and converted his HEI distributor to Optisparc( caddy lower distributor body, upper corvette optsparc body, hybrid ) then he used an aftermarket kit to add 8 coil packs in place of the optisparc coil... i would imagine the corvette ECM is highly tunable for boost, as soooo many have done it before on vettes/camaros, etc..

just a thought for you. Theres a thread on Pennocks about it in the archives
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:

have you thought of taking this a step further and eliminating the HEI distributor? a board member on here, Robert Cope, did it to his Allante citation X-11 setup. He built up the motor( cam, P&P heads & intake, N* pistons, roller rockers, etc..) and used a 95 corvette ECM, added the corvette Throttlebody, and converted his HEI distributor to Optisparc( caddy lower distributor body, upper corvette optsparc body, hybrid ) then he used an aftermarket kit to add 8 coil packs in place of the optisparc coil... i would imagine the corvette ECM is highly tunable for boost, as soooo many have done it before on vettes/camaros, etc..

Thanks for the kind words...

Yes, I read that thread a while back, that was a great build

I haven't done much change to my supercharged 4.9 Fiero lately...
As it is running very good as a daily driver

I been perty busy lately with Christmas coming up and family and all

... Early next year I plan to do some more work on it
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2013 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I make my *STRONGEST* recommendation for either this:

http://www.eficonnection.co...iconnection/24x.aspx

or this:

http://www.eficonnection.co...iconnection/58x.aspx

instead.
My dad adapted the LT1 optical pickup to the HEI distributor on the Cadillac 500 engine in his 1990 Suburban. He uses a combo of LT1 Edit and TunerCat $EE definition file to tune it. However, the LT1 is old tech and the market has passed the OBDI controls by. Your car will be MUCH easier to tune (especially having it tuned at a dyno shop) if you use an LS1 based controller.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-16-2013).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't done much change to my supercharged 4.9 Fiero lately...
As it is running very good as a daily driver

Good to hear. Mind summarizing your engine management/fuel system setup?
87_special

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont come on this site much anymore, but was browsing and found your thread. I just read all 7 pages and I am impressed. Great work and ingenuity! Im glad to see someone still has imagination and vision to do things different.

Great work on your car. You seem to have it mostly figured out. I hope you have many more years of enjoyment.

------------------

1987 SE / Fastback - 3500 Turdbowd / Alcoholic / '92 5-speed swap

No bandwagon here...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87_special:

I dont come on this site much anymore, but was browsing and found your thread. I just read all 7 pages and I am impressed. Great work and ingenuity! Im glad to see someone still has imagination and vision to do things different.

Great work on your car. You seem to have it mostly figured out. I hope you have many more years of enjoyment.

Thanks!

yea the beast is still going strong... I drive it pretty mellow most of the time,
I know something will bust eventually if I drive it hard too often
But when I do floor it, its a great feeling... I never been in a faster car

Seems to be better suited in the colder weather.
In the dead heat of last summer, after fully warmed up, the engine wouldn't feel as powerful,
and the heated clutch would also slip excessively sometimes.

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I make my *STRONGEST* recommendation for either this:

http://www.eficonnection.co...iconnection/24x.aspx

or this:

http://www.eficonnection.co...iconnection/58x.aspx

instead.
My dad adapted the LT1 optical pickup to the HEI distributor on the Cadillac 500 engine in his 1990 Suburban. He uses a combo of LT1 Edit and TunerCat $EE definition file to tune it. However, the LT1 is old tech and the market has passed the OBDI controls by. Your car will be MUCH easier to tune (especially having it tuned at a dyno shop) if you use an LS1 based controller.

potato/potatoe, whatever grooves with the moves...

Will, does the LS1 PCM have the ability to correctly control the Caddy 4T60e tranny?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's very much not potato/potahto...

For example, my dad's truck has a 4L80E (run from the LT1 computer via an external solid state inverter on one of the shift solenoids) and a 14 bolt floating axle with 3.23 gears. It has LONG legs on the highway, but tends to be a gear lower at most times than most applications... and spends more time in 2nd gear around town. The $EE mask from TunerCat claims to have 2nd gear converter lockup parameters mapped, but they don't work. LT1Edit doesn't even map those parameters.

I'm not sure about the 4T60E in particular... What are the differences shift solenoid pattern, converter lockup, pressure regulator solenoid signals?
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will, does the LS1 PCM have the ability to correctly control the Caddy 4T60e tranny?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pr...T0/ref=docs-os-doi_0
This book can tell you everything you need to know about the GEN III PCMs
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2013 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pr...T0/ref=docs-os-doi_0
This book can tell you everything you need to know about the GEN III PCMs

it tells alot, but far from everything. IIRC it doesn't really hit on programming all that much at all, mainly just gen1/2 smallblock conversions. good read, but far from the word of god.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a little update for those interested...

The supercharged 4.9 continues to run great!

Daily driven and occasionally pushed hard.

The 4.9 is a great engine! and can handle 8psi boost easily
Of course I take care of it (synthetic oil, and high octane gas)

The supercharged conversion was a great success!

I would like to thank everyone for all their input on this topic!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you haven't done it yet, it would be great to see some dyno #'s.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, definitely numbers, AFR's, knock counts, etc.

Great to hear that it's rocking and rolling!

Isn't the satisfaction of doing it yourself tremendous?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 05-01-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

If you haven't done it yet, it would be great to see some dyno #'s.

Heck, I'd settle for an updated video of the car going through the gears... with the pedal to the metal.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The car was becoming hard to start and idle poorly at times. I changed quite a few ignition parts trying to solve the problem.

Finally decided to change the injectors.... Problem solved. Old Rochester injectors were going bad

New Bosch injectors
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With an LS1 PCM I would also be concerned with the ISC control.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-18-2014).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

With an LS1 PCM I would also be concerned with the ISC control.

-Keeping ISC when ANY other option is available is... sub-optimal

-The 3800 throttle body and Northstar throttle commonly swapped onto the M90's both use IAC.

Where's da vid?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 10-28-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Where's da vid?

Yeah, we want to hear that beast... preferably going through the gears.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That engine swap is an outstanding achievement as was the beautiful gauge console . I was skeptical when I first heard of this project but you proved that you had the talent to do it. That required some very close and extensive machining to get it right.
I am in the midst of doing that swap on one of my Fieros now and some of the bad press that I read about that engine had me a bit concerned. Welcome news on the 4.9L holding up and running well. My guess for the M90 on this engine was 4 psi of boost. Was that close? Do you plan a 1/4 mile run?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

That engine swap is an outstanding achievement as was the beautiful gauge console . I was skeptical when I first heard of this project but you proved that you had the talent to do it. That required some very close and extensive machining to get it right.
I am in the midst of doing that swap on one of my Fieros now and some of the bad press that I read about that engine had me a bit concerned. Welcome news on the 4.9L holding up and running well. My guess for the M90 on this engine was 4 psi of boost. Was that close? Do you plan a 1/4 mile run?

Thanks,

Yes it took a lot of thinking, work and test fitting to create the plenum for the supercharger.

I am running about 7psi at 5500 rpm with a 3 inch pulley...it was about 5 psi with the stock 3.8 inch pulley

It does high 12's when the engine is still cool... and low to mid 13's if its hot
This is with street tires and at 4000 feet elevation

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What trap speed?
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks,

Yes it took a lot of thinking, work and test fitting to create the plenum for the supercharger.

I am running about 7psi at 5500 rpm with a 3 inch pulley...it was about 5 psi with the stock 3.8 inch pulley

It does high 12's when the engine is still cool... and low to mid 13's if its hot
This is with street tires and at 4000 feet elevation

Maxcubes.. you think you could fabricate a jig for that custom intake manifold?
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too would like to see a video.
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love this thread!! I have a buddy I work with who recently bought a 95 deville and he said after income tax hes gonna buy a newer car and sell the caddy to me cheap to swap in my 86 gt. From what I have seen the 4.9 swap is one of the easier ones to do as far as v8s go. I know they are kinda weak stock but a m90 on one sounds like it would boost the power a good bit. To get 12s gotta be getting some decent hp MAX. Any clue what this thing is making yet? Any chance you could do an update on all the parts you used to put this thing together bro? I have been inspired by your genious creation.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any video yet? dyno pull?
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread has made me want to try this and build a 4.9 with a m90 for my fiero. When I first came across it all the pics were present but now just show as little black boxes with an X in the middle where the pics used to be. Anybody know why the pics are not showing anymore?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2tone86gt:

Anybody know why the pics are not showing anymore?

Because they're gone.

This thread is a "good" example of an unfortunate occurrence that happens here all the time when people use a method other than PIP to post images. They use a hosting site where for whatever reason, the images or the site itself disappears. We are then left to forever stare at red X's where helpful and informative images used to reside.

In some threads it makes no difference as no one cares about the thread a week after it's been posted. However, with interesting threads such as this one, it's a real shame.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-15-2014).]

2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering why, makes sense though at least I know it isn't my pc then. I wish they were still there that is a bummer.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock