Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Supercharging the cadillac 4.9 with Allante intake and Gen V M90 supercharger (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Supercharging the cadillac 4.9 with Allante intake and Gen V M90 supercharger by MaxCubes
Started on: 03-20-2013 03:13 AM
Replies: 311 (27714 views)
Last post by: Will on 04-03-2019 08:55 AM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool!

Still watching...
IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't even have a 4.9 and I find this kind of exciting.
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
makes me want to do a 4.9 swap....but with the s/c
can't wait to see the video
Greggles

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GregglesSend a Private Message to GregglesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Subscribed!!! I love shade-tree engineered projects! Keep at it!!
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some nice fabicating skills have been exhibited on this post. Just a few comments.
How will you address the supercharger sealing/gasketing? This is even tricky on the 3800SC's
A 3" pulley causes KR's on a 3800SC. Will it work on a 9:1 C/R engine?
Tuning- just about any GM ECM can be tuned but editing software for the 4.9L Computer may not be available.
All and all its nice to see members breaking new ground here.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Some nice fabicating skills have been exhibited on this post. Just a few comments.
How will you address the supercharger sealing/gasketing? This is even tricky on the 3800SC's
Tuning- just about any GM ECM can be tuned but editing software for the 4.9L Computer may not be available.

Yes, one of my biggest concerns was sealing... I sprayed copper sealer on the supercharger gasket and plenum mating surface to try to make sure there are no vacuum leaks

Yes, 3.0 pulley is quite a bit smaller.... The 4.9 has 9.5 to 1 compression... I will have to run high octane for sure..... after some test runs and tuning, will find out if I need a different size pulley.

I am running a 7730 ecm and prom from a 1991 camaro Z28 305 tuned port injectiuon.... much more editing software available for this ecm
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Ok.... while I figure out how to post videos to the internet.... will post a few more quick photos of progress...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
belt side...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
2000- up Northstar throttle modified and installed... you can see the distributor hiding down below...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Max - love the ingenuity! I'm with you on the junk yard engineering. That's half the fun - mix and match parts to achieve the results. Not all of us have a mega machine shop and unlimited funds to build our dream car. It's guys like you that started the whole "Hot Rod" culture. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Pat
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How precisely were you able to maintain flatness and parallelism between the two mating surfaces of your blower to manifold adapter? Have you measured with micrometers or dial calipers?

Flatness will directly affect sealing. Parallelism shouldn't affect much other than neatness of presentation.

The Caddy 4.9 computer *IS* tunable. Tunercat has the definition files for it.

The behavior you described with and without the bypass valve is exactly as expected.
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

How precisely were you able to maintain flatness and parallelism between the two mating surfaces of your blower to manifold adapter? Have you measured with micrometers or dial calipers?

Flatness will directly affect sealing. Parallelism shouldn't affect much other than neatness of presentation.

I don't understand how you would have any issues sealing in 7-10lbs of pressure. Looks like he started with some thick flat steel as well.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it is sealing good for now.... It idles at 700 rpm and smooth
I put a vacuum gauge on it and it is pulling 16hg of vacuum
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Interesting build. He has more courage than I do to go into untested waters. Anyway, since this is feeding a 4.9 vs the 3.8, I would think he will not have to worry about the boost getting too high? we will see...
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TOG WANT VID!!!
XgovernmentAgent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

What are those wheels? They look like some steelies but bigger.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XgovernmentAgent:

What are those wheels? They look like some steelies but bigger.

Found those rims at the junkyard... from a Beretta.

I painted them a certain way to give them a different effect
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what mask are you using to tune the combo? $59?
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great build, anyone can blank check a car, and get no respect doing so.
Doing something yourself brings great pride, and respect.

I have to warn you though, boost is highly addictive.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just purchased a heavy duty radiator... gotta keep the engine running cool with the added stress of a supercharger...

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 03-11-2015).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
And here is a pic of the Allante STEEL rocker arm supports I also purchased.... Im going to install stiffer springs to prevent valve float...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Today I have the day off... so Im going to get some more pregress done.

I need to work on pulley alignment as the belt squeels a little when I rev it.

Also want to start getting a throttle bracket made so I can connect the throotle cable.... and find an air filter and ducting

After this, I can drive the car.... slowly until further modifications are made.

I made a video of the engine running today... and by later tonight I should have it on youtube
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Squealing is more likely to be due to tension and wrap than alignment.

Does it squeal with the bypass valve open or closed?

IIRC, it's tough to drive the blower through a 3" pulley with the stock belt width when you get up to the 350 WHP range.

What's your crank pulley diameter and how does it compare to the 3800 crank pulley diameter?
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK.... here is the video...

http://youtu.be/ULmbjJ92K_E
daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice, im a bit jelly. did you mod the ecu at all? would you be willing to make a second intake with no warranty for a price?
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

What's your crank pulley diameter and how does it compare to the 3800 crank pulley diameter?

Good question... I'll look into that

... if the 4.9 crank pulley is bigger than a 3.8, then the ratio will be even greater
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by daleosis:

nice, im a bit jelly. did you mod the ecu at all? would you be willing to make a second intake with no warranty for a price?

No ecm mods at all yet.

It took me many, many hours to make the intake.... Not to mention throttle adapter, supercharger mods, etc. etc.

A top notch machine shop could probably make one quicker
daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
eh, would prolly cost less and be easier for me to turbo than. thats a really nice job you did there, im jealous.
arte444

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have pictures of how much you had to cut the decklid?
PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by arte444:

Do you have pictures of how much you had to cut the decklid?

orange arrows point to the hack job...

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by arte444:

I don't understand how you would have any issues sealing in 7-10lbs of pressure. Looks like he started with some thick flat steel as well.

Its not the pressure that's the problem. On the 3800Sc engines extreme care must be taken when installing the supercharger to the LIM. The torquing of the supercharger bolts must be in proper sequence and tightened to the torque spec slowly all while rotating the supercharger pulley by hand to insure that there is no binding. The slightest bit of mess up, the supercharger case twists and a leak results. In this case the fabricator here seems to have done the install properly so its not an issue.
As for the crank pulley on the 4.9L vs the 3800; they should be the same diameter. IMO, the main issue now is tuning.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2013 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted you to know that this thread is awesome! I'm watching every step of the way!
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watching this thread as well, Makes me want to do this to my 4.9, just don't have an Allante intake. :/ Another issue is, I'm using the Caddy ECM, and as I have read it doesn't have any provisions for boost in the parameters.

Great work so far!

EDIT: I found out though RockAuto, that the 4.9 crank pulley is 7.375" in diameter. The 3800 crank pulley is 7.156" in diameter. So yes it will be tuning even faster. IMO, I think a 3" pulley is a bit too small to start off with, to be on the safe side, because of the higher compression and a slightly larger crank pulley.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-30-2013).]

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Subscribed as I'm installing a 4.9L. Turbo might produce more HP, but SC gives better show quality. Looking forward to seeing how this goes. Keep up the good, price DOES matter, work!

------------------
Life is just SO much better when you own AND drive a Fiero!

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love your plenum work. Is your alternator serviceable by removing the snout? Is the distributor cap serviceable by removing the throttle body?
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

I love your plenum work. Is your alternator serviceable by removing the snout? Is the distributor cap serviceable by removing the throttle body?

Alternator can be removed without removing the supercharger or snout

Distributor cap cannot be removed until the supercharger is removed
Sigler85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sigler85GTSend a Private Message to Sigler85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Super chargers not my thing. V8s really no my thing. However, your thread is quickly changing my opinions. Great work hope to see it finished
bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So how's the car running? Im excited to hear more updates. I'm really wanting to do this to my 4,9
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock