Putting an '88 alternator on an '85 GT by NetCam
Started on: 03-17-2013 12:20 PM
Replies: 11 (791 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 10-06-2014 05:40 PM
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm replacing the alternator on my '85 GT with a rebuilt '88 unit, as I've been told the '88 alternator is far superior. I'm following Rabid-Wombat's instructions (http://home.coastalnow.net/~brent1/csalt2.htm), but I've hit a bit of a snag. The pigtail I got has 2 brown wires and no black. In the instructions, it says the wires are 'in the S, L, and F positions respectively', but the picture actually shows that it's S, F, L. I'm thinking I want the S (red) and L (2nd brown) wires and get rid of the F (brown closest to the red), but want to check before I start popping off wires and soldering. From the picture it looks like the F wire is the black which is not needed. Here's what mine looks like now (I've already removed the P wire)

Sorry for the poor quality image, and now that I've removed the grey P wire, it looks like the 2nd brown lines up with the P, but it's actually the L.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 03-17-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did this very thing to my 85 GT. Its been 6-7 months ago and I forget which of the two skinny wires you splice into though. I do remember that his instructions were 100% correct as his references to the wire colors, letters on the connector housing, etc were all correct. Are sure both wires are really brown? You can take a tiny bit of sandpaper, an exacto knife, etc and scrape the wire to see actual color. Good upgrade I might add. Newer. (88) alternator is technically a "CS" series alternator and puts out more juice in smaller pkg. (especially at idle)
Kit
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both wires are definitely brown, it's a brand new pigtail that I picked up today. If you look at the instructions from Rabid-Wombat's site - 'They are in the S, L, and F positions respectively' but in the picture it's definitely S F L P, which is why I'm not sure if it's the 'L' or the 'F' I should get rid of. The alternator has PL on one side and FS on the other, so if I knew for sure it's the 'L' wire I need, then it's the 2nd brown (L), the one furthest from the red.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 03-17-2013).]

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By looking at the second picture, you want the "S" & "L" wires. Just cap off the middle brown wire (F) with some heat shrink tubing, no need to remove it completely. Who knows might need it someday in a future motor upgrade
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One (hopefully) last question on this.... The '88 alternators don't have a heat shield. Should I be taking the shield off my old alternator and try to rig it to the new one, or do the '88s not require it?
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

One (hopefully) last question on this.... The '88 alternators don't have a heat shield. Should I be taking the shield off my old alternator and try to rig it to the new one, or do the '88s not require it?

On the '88s, there is a heat shield mounted on the corner of the cylinder head, closest to the alternator. If I remember right, its attached to the studs that mount the exhaust manifold. I'd sure like to locate a set of those shields since I'm running an '88 alternator with no shields (I couldn't make the old-style shield fit on the new alternator).

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a custom alternator with the '88 outside, and Corvette internals. (120amp, or 130amp, don't remember) Did that for 2 reasons:
1: more modern design than even the '88 Fiero one, so better durability.
2: If I ever ran a system, amp, etc. in the car I don't have to worry about the increased strain at idle.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by css9450:
On the '88s, there is a heat shield mounted on the corner of the cylinder head, closest to the alternator. If I remember right, its attached to the studs that mount the exhaust manifold. I'd sure like to locate a set of those shields since I'm running an '88 alternator with no shields (I couldn't make the old-style shield fit on the new alternator).

Yep, that's a problem I have to solve as well.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the same with our '87. When putting in the CS alternator I was able to use the '87 heat shield. The bolt hole on the back of the alternator was a bit of a challenge to get the bolt into, but it all worked out with some very minor adjustments. It will do the job for you of diverting some of the manifold heat.

I do like the CS swap and no more singing alternator bearings here.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed an '88 alt. in my '86 without any issues. Heat shield bolted right up.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like I need to give it another try.
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for reference, here are a couple images of a new Bosch AL 650N alternator:

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock