Settle a Disagreement on 88s by reinhart
Started on: 03-13-2013 01:41 AM
Replies: 18 (1155 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 11-10-2014 11:10 AM
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman and I have been having a discussion on the rubber wheel well liners on the rear of the 88. Are there one or two designs?

He sells reproductions of the factory ones and says he never has seen one like mine and that none of his buyers have reported theirs were different than the ones he sells. The ones he sells are identical to the rubber liners in my automatic 88GTs but I was looking at my manual trans 88GT, and the rubber liners are different than the autos and the ones Rodney sells. The automatic ones' rubber liners come straight down just in front of suspension and end there. But the ones in my manual transmission ones have more material...the liners are the same on the back edge but in the front they wrap all the way up to where the emergency cable is. These look and feel stock. Same material as my other Fieros.

Here's a few pictures of what I'm talking about. All 3 pictures are of the left wheel liner, taken just in front of the rear wheel looking inward.

Does anyone else with an 88 have rubber liners that wrap all the way forward to where the emergency cable is like this or am I the only one and is Rodney right that this is not factory (even though it looks and feels like the factory material)?

[This message has been edited by reinhart (edited 03-13-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
etofun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for etofunSend a Private Message to etofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i cant prove it since mine fell off a while back due to being so torn up, but that looks like the one off my 88GT
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eto, so you still have the one on the other side? If so you can see if that wraps up like that.

Is your a manual or automatic?

Also my other theory is that it might be an early or late VIN change because mine (the one pictured) is a very early build. Is your VIN really early like in the first 005000?
FieroDan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDan86Send a Private Message to FieroDan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just looked at my 88GT 5 spd and they both look like Rodneys that he shows on his website. They do not go all the way forward like yours. One of mine I pulled off another 88GT in the junkyard to replace my torn one but I don't remember if it was a stick or an auto. But even that one looks like Rodneys. It's possible that yours were a production line change or someone in your car's past took it upon themselves to make a different one and wanted to keep it "factory looking" by using the same type of material. Who knows? Do yours work better? Do they cover the space between the cradle and chassis more effectively? On mine it seems that a few more fasteners should have been added by GM to hold them in place or mold them better than the way they did it. I mean I have all of the fasteners installed but I think they could fit a little better than how they do. Just my opinion.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4 cylinder automatic '88's have a transmission mount outboard of the side pan on the transmission. This may interfere with the dust curtain you have on your car and may account for the differences.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FieroDan, are either of your GT's early build? Like first 5000 or so? I think we can eliminate the manual vs automatic but perhaps it was an early / late build change.

And yes I feel it's a superior design. It definitely keeps more dirt/grime out. Just one extra fastener to undo when working in there.

[This message has been edited by reinhart (edited 03-13-2013).]

etofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for etofunSend a Private Message to etofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no luck, in the process of restoring my car so, unless its in my pile of parts out back i think i might have tossed it. she's a manual, last 6 digits of the vin are 214845. i know mine was different, i help a friend with his auto 88 a while back, just happened to notice the difference. IMO i think it might be a coincidence, the guy who owned my car before me did alot of small stuff to the car, so the possibility of him making an improved version is there.

[This message has been edited by etofun (edited 03-14-2013).]

FieroDan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDan86Send a Private Message to FieroDan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

FieroDan, are either of your GT's early build? Like first 5000 or so? I think we can eliminate the manual vs automatic but perhaps it was an early / late build change.

And yes I feel it's a superior design. It definitely keeps more dirt/grime out. Just one extra fastener to undo when working in there.

No, mine came later on: #20658. Only one of 2729 other Medium Red Metallics!
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My GT doesn`t have the extended rubber and it`s #5202

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 03-14-2013).]

Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of my 3 88's have the extended rubber skirting. 1 is an 88 GTmanual serial number 02492. 2nd 4 cyl auto 11870 3rs 4cy manual 16736
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My all original 88GT doesn't have this extended rubber shield. Its a 5-speed.

There are many small production changes that the 88s got. Some enthusiasts probably still don't discover them.
Many liitle things have been done. Ever notice that the screws that hold the TPS on the throttle-body are better and use torx
instead of the phillips head? The 88s had these different screws.

I'll be watching this thread closely as its always interesting to see the changes GM did the the 88 fieros.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one of the last Formulas. Mine does not have the extended flaps.

Jonathan
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to keep this thread alive...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have one of the last Formulas and even though mine is an auto, it does not (did not) have the extended flaps. I replaced mine with a pair from Rodney many years ago and when I overlaid new to old they were as close to identical as I could have expected.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to have the extended ones to keep all the road junk and water out of the engine compartment. Especially because the I have has a 3800 in it with low mount alternator and it gets wet and acts up.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't make head nor tails of your images. Can't you take a wider shot?

I have an '88 Formula 5-spd, but I'm not going to go look at it now in the dark and the snow.

Here's the passenger side of an '88 duke 5-spd which I stripped down as a parts car.

Is this a different liner than what you have?

EDIT: Seeing as how this is what Rodney sells, I guess yours is different.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-24-2014).]

fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump...

------------------

fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The different 88 splash guard shown at the top looks like a different material. Looks thinker but could be camera angle. Almost looks like an 87 but cut out for 88. Better picture would definitely help.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 11-10-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It might not be OEM. I made my own splash guards on my '88.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock