Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Torque Pro OBD2 Scanner Android App (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Torque Pro OBD2 Scanner Android App by Darth Fiero
Started on: 03-11-2013 05:07 PM
Replies: 75 (15970 views)
Last post by: flimbob on 05-25-2020 08:37 AM
CheshireGrin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CheshireGrinSend a Private Message to CheshireGrinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How well do you think this would work with an android tablet ? Would be real neat to set it to store in a dropbox folder , then as soon as i pull in the driveway [aka wifi range] it would send logs to a dropbox folder accessible pretty much anywhere.
just a thought
Ryan
IP: Logged
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimlong67:

Should I also download Widgets for Torque (OBD / Car) ??
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquewidget&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwib3JnLnByb3dsLnRvcnF1ZXdpZGdldCJd
$2.39 to go with the rest of the program.

I didn't.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5921 posts
Member since Oct 2002

Originally posted by CheshireGrin:

How well do you think this would work with an android tablet ? Would be real neat to set it to store in a dropbox folder , then as soon as i pull in the driveway [aka wifi range] it would send logs to a dropbox folder accessible pretty much anywhere.
just a thought
Ryan

As long as the android tablet has Bluetooth connectivity, I don't see why Torque wouldn't work on it. Of course the performance of the app is going to be dependent on the processor speed and available memory of the tablet (which I would think would probably be better than a smartphone in most cases).
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am using Torque Pro on my Galaxy Tab 8.9 and it works just fine. I also have used it a little bit with an Android Stick (MK809ii) and a small TV. They all seem to work fine as long as the device has Bluetooth. And in the last few months Ian has increased the sizes of the gauges you can display so the gauges look very good on a tablet or even on the small TV I have set up.
XgovernmentAgent

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the refresh info of display like? Is it as accurate as looking at a physical gauge or LCD gauges in the newer cars? I'm sure it is nothing like the god awful slow (on the fast setting too!) of the ScanGauge II. A video of it running would quench my thirst! Thanks!
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XgovernmentAgent:

What is the refresh info of display like? Is it as accurate as looking at a physical gauge or LCD gauges in the newer cars? I'm sure it is nothing like the god awful slow (on the fast setting too!) of the ScanGauge II. A video of it running would quench my thirst! Thanks!

On my Galaxy Tablet 8.9, it updates at least once a second which is more than enough. Any more an t it would twitter too much. On displays that I do with Industrial Automation and PLC's I usually only update every 1/2 second to prevent too much twittering. I have not played enough with the MK 809ii to observe that. When I do I can post on the update rate.
XgovernmentAgent

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

On my Galaxy Tablet 8.9, it updates at least once a second which is more than enough. Any more an t it would twitter too much. On displays that I do with Industrial Automation and PLC's I usually only update every 1/2 second to prevent too much twittering. I have not played enough with the MK 809ii to observe that. When I do I can post on the update rate.

Just what I wanted to here, thank you.

EDIT: Wow, I glanced a bit at that MK809ii and that looks to be some pretty amazing hardware. I missed this somehow. Wow. This really opens up some ideas I've had.

You can adjust the update rate in the app? Or is that more of the hardware side of things?

[This message has been edited by XgovernmentAgent (edited 03-26-2013).]

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XgovernmentAgent:

Just what I wanted to here, thank you.

EDIT: Wow, I glanced a bit at that MK809ii and that looks to be some pretty amazing hardware. I missed this somehow. Wow. This really opens up some ideas I've had.

You can adjust the update rate in the app? Or is that more of the hardware side of things?

It doesn't really have anything to change the update rate on the gauges display other than there is a setting for faster updates. So I don't think you can just go in and set the update rate. As for the data monitoring part, I don't know. Maybe Ryan would know since he is using it for this.

And yes the MK 809ii is pretty impressive. The only thing you would be missing from it vs. a Android tablet is the GPS functions. That is why I am thinking of using this for a dashboard. On my trip to Daytona Beach this last couple of weeks I used the Galaxy Tab 8.9 using Torque Pro and it worked fine. Over the week though when I was driving in Florida I found the tablet seemed to get hot and it complained about the battery overheating even though I was charging it the whole time. I have experienced this before when I used the Galaxy Tab for extended periods of time mounted in the windshield on charge. That is one major reason I had not done the changeover before. Now with the MK 809ii it might work out great using that and a small TV screen. I just received a new Bluetooth Dongle that is considerably smaller than the original one I bought over two years ago. Still less than $15, however from China which is where my first one came from and it still works fine.

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my ELM bluetooth adapter today, the one recommended by Darth. I got it for the Fiero but since it isn't ready, I tried it out on my Chevy pickup. I had some trouble getting everyone to talk to each other at first but after trying different settings I got it to work. Looks pretty cool, even had some transmission data. Gotta take a little more time to setup a custom dashboard. Thanks to all who posted their experiences, it helped with the decision to purchase the pieces.
CodeSlinger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CodeSlingerSend a Private Message to CodeSlingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will this work on a stock '87 GT?

------------------
'87 GT 5-speed

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CodeSlinger:

Will this work on a stock '87 GT?

No, it requires an OBD-II compliant PCM, so anything '96 and newer.

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

PFF
System Bot
rafal_ram

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rafal_ramSend a Private Message to rafal_ramEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does your Torque calculate MPG (or liters per 100km in Europe) correctly?
I have some issue with fuel tank sensor so I need some alternate way to estimate amount of fuel in tank

My config is:
ELM327 + L67 + 4t65e-hd + original ECM and harness from L67

[This message has been edited by rafal_ram (edited 05-27-2014).]

bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have some issue with fuel tank sensor so I need some alternate way to estimate amount of fuel in tank

My config is:

It will calculate it but you have to do a couple things. You have to have the correct weight of your vehicle. You also have to drive with the torque app on all the time and let it know when you fill up the fuel tank. You also have to tell it what size your gas tank is. I haven't ever used it so I can't attest to its accuracy.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rafal_ram:

My config is:

It will work for that and there is a way in the settings to adjust it so that it actually reads quite close.

rafal_ram

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rafal_ramSend a Private Message to rafal_ramEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used it already in another car. It worked quite precisely after first configuration.

I tried to use it in Fiero+L67 engine... but it failed. It wasn't calculating MPG because of MAF sensor was not connected to +12V.
Now it works. Is it correct? We will see
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having an issue with my Bluetooth adapter ... at least I believe that this is the issue. I bought the adapter from eBay that was listed in the initial post. Set it up, drove the car and was able to receive data. I played with the settings to add PIDs and adjust kilos to miles, etc. After starting it back up I no longer was receiving data and the four flashing lights were out ... just the power light was lit. I contacted the seller and he said that he would send a replacement. Got it today and this one won't connect either. At least the first one sent data for a while ... this one never did. I went into Adapter Status with the new unit and found that there were Adapter Error Counts. This was true for the Fiero, but also for my 2012 Equinox. I could accept that there is an adapter connection error with a modified car, but not a fairly new car with only 7,500 miles that has never been in the shop for anything other than an oil change. I am about to install at 3.5" pulley and would really like to be able to monitor KR. KR looked OK with the first adapter that initially worked, but that was with the stock 3.8" pulley. This might not be the case with the 3.5" pulley. I guess that I could be doing something incorrectly ... I'm not a computer or smart phone guru, but I have followed all the instructions to the letter and can't get either one of these to work. Sent another message to the seller and I'll see what he has to suggest. Perhaps I need to spend a bit more for a higher quality adapter?
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

Having an issue with my Bluetooth adapter ... at least I believe that this is the issue. I bought the adapter from eBay that was listed in the initial post. Set it up, drove the car and was able to receive data. I played with the settings to add PIDs and adjust kilos to miles, etc. After starting it back up I no longer was receiving data and the four flashing lights were out ... just the power light was lit. I contacted the seller and he said that he would send a replacement. Got it today and this one won't connect either. At least the first one sent data for a while ... this one never did. I went into Adapter Status with the new unit and found that there were Adapter Error Counts. This was true for the Fiero, but also for my 2012 Equinox. I could accept that there is an adapter connection error with a modified car, but not a fairly new car with only 7,500 miles that has never been in the shop for anything other than an oil change. I am about to install at 3.5" pulley and would really like to be able to monitor KR. KR looked OK with the first adapter that initially worked, but that was with the stock 3.8" pulley. This might not be the case with the 3.5" pulley. I guess that I could be doing something incorrectly ... I'm not a computer or smart phone guru, but I have followed all the instructions to the letter and can't get either one of these to work. Sent another message to the seller and I'll see what he has to suggest. Perhaps I need to spend a bit more for a higher quality adapter?

Sounds like it could be an issue with your android device's Bluetooth settings/connectivity.
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Sounds like it could be an issue with your android device's Bluetooth settings/connectivity.

This is a good seller. He offered to send me a different unit so I'll see how that one works. I am open to suggestion. Can you describe what Bluetooth settings I should have in my phone? At first I was receiving data, but it stopped sending. It seemed to work properly for a while. Not sure what changed.

[This message has been edited by gtoformula (edited 10-15-2014).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first post of this thread contains all the information I have pertaining to the setting up of the Bluetooth device. Sorry but I just don't have anything else. It sounds to me like your android device just quit communicating with the Bluetooth OBD2 adapter for whatever reason.

Something you could try first is unpairing your Bluetooth device (do this within your android device) and then repairing it and see if that fixes the issue. If that doesn't work, the next thing you can try is uninstalling the TorquePro app then reinstall it.

All that having been said, I will offer this additional information: I own two Bluetooth OBD2 adapters and have both paired to my android phone. Each Bluetooth adapter has its own unique ID code (similar to a MAC address) and you have to make sure you have the correct Bluetooth device selected within TorquePro in order for it to work. If you have more than one Bluetooth device paired to your android device (such as an earpiece, headphones, etc), make sure TorquePro isn't trying to use those to communicate with instead of your OBD2 adapter.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 10-16-2014).]

bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Something you could try first is unpairing your Bluetooth device (do this within your android device) and then repairing it and see if that fixes the issue.

I had to do this a few times. I unpaired and then paired again, to no avail. It turned out that my phone at the time (HTC Rezound) took a trick to actually clear the pairing from the phone, not just the list of paired devices. I had to unpair, then reboot, then pair. That solved my problem.
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With either adapter the Adapter Status reads Bluetooth Enabled - yes, Connection to adapter -- yes, Connection to ECM - yes, Adapter Error Count - no. 0 errors, 27 faults. 27 faults is for the initial adapter and 3 faults for the replacement. Not entirely certain what this means, but does this point to an adapter issue?
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

With either adapter the Adapter Status reads Bluetooth Enabled - yes, Connection to adapter -- yes, Connection to ECM - yes, Adapter Error Count - no. 0 errors, 27 faults. 27 faults is for the initial adapter and 3 faults for the replacement. Not entirely certain what this means, but does this point to an adapter issue?

Don't know. Consult the manufacturer of the adapter.
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turned out to be a couple of bad adapters. The eBay seller sent me the adapter from the link below. This one is working great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HHO...ageName=STRK:MESE:IT
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will this decode/display Traction Control, ESC and ABS codes? I keep getting intermittent "service traction" and "service esc" alerts in the Information Center on my car's display. 2010 G6.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good question, I can't answer. But ask here: http://torque-bhp.com/forum...tion=viewforum&f=1.0
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool. Thanks!
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2017 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to Ryan's instructions in the first post, I have been able to get Torque Pro to show the GM Specific PID's codes. I have been using Torque Pro for some time, I just did not know about the GM PID's that could be added on as a plugin.

Here is a display of my current dash setup, and it clearly shows that I am running WAY to rich. I have not narrowed that down yet, but that is a topic for another thread.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2017 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since John bumped this thread, I wanted to add some additional info. I've had a number of people send me scan logs generated by Torque Pro and there are some major issues with these scan logs. The data is saved in columns and each row is supposed to represent time. The problem is not all of the data logged is correlating correctly with time which can make the data confusing and, unfortunately: pretty much worthless. So until the developers of Torque Pro fix the logger, it isn't going to be very useful for logging data.

But it is still a great tool for scanning and displaying live data and codes.
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2020 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone looked into this recently. Last post was made in 2017. The app recent change log(beta) shows fixes for the logger.
AndrewTHG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2020 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndrewTHGSend a Private Message to AndrewTHGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump! Looking for an answer to this myself. Can Torque now log sequentially for a couple different PID's simultaneously? And what is a reasonable OBD tool to pair with this? Actually looking to send data to Ryan and have found this to probably be my best solution, short of buying an expensive tool.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2020 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've heard the Torque Pro logger has been fixed by numerous people, but I have not had the opportunity to test it myself. If you want to take a data log and email it to me, I would be happy to review it and see if it indeed has been fixed.

The basic data PIDs I need logged are:

RPM
MAF (gm/sec)
MAP (kpa)
B1S1 o2 voltage
Knock Retard (deg)
STFT %
LTFT %
Coolant Temp (deg)
Throttle Position (%)
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2020 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AndrewTHG:

Bump! Looking for an answer to this myself. Can Torque now log sequentially for a couple different PID's simultaneously? And what is a reasonable OBD tool to pair with this? Actually looking to send data to Ryan and have found this to probably be my best solution, short of buying an expensive tool.

I use an OBD Link MX and connect via BlueTooth.
AndrewTHG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2020 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndrewTHGSend a Private Message to AndrewTHGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan/Will - thanks for the quick replies. Sounds good! I've actually got to get a cheap android tablet so I can use Torque pro, then I can send a log over. I've been looking at that specific scanner as well, looks like a decent one. Gonna get this stuff ordered and see if I can't get the data logged and issues ironed out.
Madess

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was looking at ODBII adapters on ebay, maybe it said before, but should I get a v1.5 or v2.1 adapter, or does it matter?

Thanks
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Madess:

I was looking at ODBII adapters on ebay, maybe it said before, but should I get a v1.5 or v2.1 adapter, or does it matter?

Thanks

No clue on version number. You might want to send an email to the creator of Torque Pro and ask what you need...
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any resolution on this issue?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock