TPS help and info wanted. by AL87
Started on: 02-27-2013 04:11 AM
Replies: 51 (1731 views)
Last post by: AL87 on 01-10-2014 12:03 AM
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The smaller one. Remember if you plug off return, there is no way for the excess fuel to bleed off. You'll want to engage the fuel pump manually. Not with the ECM. Disconnect the fuel pump relay. You can jump it at the ALDL connector. Should be the tan/white(position C) wire and jumper to a hot. Cigarette lighter works . You could jumper at the relay but it is safer to keep any sparks in the car. Key off. You can look through the window for your gauge. You only want it on just enough to bring pressure up with the gauge on it. Very short burst. On too long will bring pressure way beyond what the system is designed for. Normally the first thing to go is the hose popping off the pump. Depending on your pump, the pressures can peg you gauge.
Please make sure you have fire extinguisher around. You can get unexpected leaks. If not carefull things can get real bad real fast.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 01-02-2014).]

IP: Logged
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

The smaller one. Remember if you plug off return, there is no way for the excess fuel to bleed off. You'll want to engage the fuel pump manually. Not with the ECM. Disconnect the fuel pump relay. You can jump it at the ALDL connector. Should be the tan/white(position C) wire and jumper to a hot. Cigarette lighter works . You could jumper at the relay but it is safer to keep any sparks in the car. Key off. You can look through the window for your gauge. You only want it on just enough to bring pressure up with the gauge on it. Very short burst. On too long will bring pressure way beyond what the system is designed for. Normally the first thing to go is the hose popping off the pump. Depending on your pump, the pressures can peg you gauge.
Please make sure you have fire extinguisher around. You can get unexpected leaks. If not carefull things can get real bad real fast.

man... that sounds like nuclear engineering or a study on female psycology...

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is one more option. But you take a chance in ruining your return line hose under the battery.
Have someone else key it on to prime. Take a pair of vise grips or channel locks to pinch closed the return line(smaller one) right after the pressure comes up. Like you can pinch off a brake line while taking a caliper off to keep the fluid from running out the master cylinder. Yes this is technically a no-no.
On newer hoses this isn't that bad. On decades old hoses, well you get the picture.
Before that however, try letting the pump prime a few times. All it takes is a minute piece of garbage(small grain of dirt) in the FPR to make it leak down. Pressuring it up and down a few times may dislodge it. If it is a chunk of old oring, it's not coming out.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im not getting consistent spark now.
spark is coming out of the coil freely, but not going to the cap.

probably time for a tune up... why the heck does this have to all go down at once?
happy new year? lol not for this guy* XD
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
okay, fuel pressure stays at 45 after priming and sits there for a minute.
40psi after 3min. 37.5psi after 5 min. and 35 after 7 min.

EDIT TO ADD> I have strong spark coming from the coil.

I have a working timing light (just tested on another vehicle), and tried to test out the ignition for spark, because something isn't firing right.
its down a cylinder or something, maybe the spark is weak, I just checked and cleaned the spark plugs thinking it was that. But I got the same results.
I dont see the timing light coming on at all when the motor is running, mind you I have to have the throttle up a little (1.5k) for it to stay running.

I'm going to do an ohms test on the pickup I have in there right now, it shows .845 after running a little.
a new pickup I have here is reading .830 at the 2k setting, so it looks to be good.
The ICM controls the spark output, and since I'm getting spark at the coil, I know its good.

most likely a cap and rotor though.

heres the ohms readings for the wires:
coil to cap: 5.05 @ 20k ohm
#1 6.45
#2 5.9
#3 6.3
#4 5.75
#5 9
#6 6.85

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 01-04-2014).]

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Try you timing light on no. 4. Still will get tdc. Just 180 out at the cam. Still no light, it is not strong enough out of the distributor(rotor).
Also try to pin it down to one cylinder. With insulated pliers, at the cap, pull wires off one at a time with it running. Each should drop RPMs. If one doesn't, that's the one.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Try you timing light on no. 4. Still will get tdc. Just 180 out at the cam. Still no light, it is not strong enough out of the distributor(rotor).
Also try to pin it down to one cylinder. With insulated pliers, at the cap, pull wires off one at a time with it running. Each should drop RPMs. If one doesn't, that's the one.

I cant get my timing light to read spark on any wires, not even the one from the coil to the cap, I tested each wire with it as well.
Before I could get back to test it by taking individual wires off, the car died and wouldn't fire back up.
I ordered a cap and rotor and it should get here around Wednesday.

crossing fingers here for that to be the problem.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the cap and rotor today, and put it on. I got some plugs as well, but didn't put them on yet.

I started it and warmed it up.

I still cant check spark with the timing light, I tried using some insulated pliers to pull off the wires one at a time on the distributor, and the spark was so strong that it jumped to my hand, so I guess I'm getting good spark. (I tried this more than once, and got hit just about every time, lol)
anyways... yeah. I don't know why the timing light doesn't want to read the spark in the wires... I'll have to go to a friend's place and try out his new timing light later to see if the issue was my light, or is in the ignition.

I have a code 22 and 45 so the ecm is saying the tps signal is lower than normal, and that the car is running rich...
I will bend the tab back to the OE position, and reset everything later.

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
okay, so my timing light lost its sensitivity. I went to my friend's and used their light to check my car.
set timing at 10* btdc with the a/b jumped.

idle rpm is under 1k around 900 and the tach reads 200 higher than it should.

I have yet to set the TB Idle screw correctly with the IAC. will get to that later on.

the car has some trouble idling, and being put into and out of gear, it likes to stall.

I haven't had a chance to check codes yet.
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anything changed while trying to open the throttle? Better? Worse?
More important, are you learning?
And anytime that you are screwing with High Energy Ignition.
Keep you other hand behind your back. The ignition IS going to find ground. If it finds ground through you, you want it to go down your arm, body and down your leg.
The reason you keep your other hand behind your back, is if you have it resting on the car, it is going across your chest.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 01-07-2014).]

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Has anything changed while trying to open the throttle? Better? Worse?
More important, are you learning?
And anytime that you are screwing with High Energy Ignition.
Keep your other hand behind your back. The ignition IS going to find ground. If it finds ground through you, you want it to go down your arm, body and down your leg.
The reason you keep your other hand behind your back, is if you have it resting on the car, it is going across your chest.

I'll have to see if anything has changed after I set the idle set screw for the throttlebody when I set the iac.
learning about the spark? yeah. everything else? I learned not to trust my tach. and my timing light is poo.

what is frustrating at the moment is the motor dying, shifting in and out of gear sometimes.
the car isn't acting quite like the video anymore, but if I give it wot from idle, it usually just cuts out without any stumbling.

but like I said, let me reset the idle stop screw and iac, and check for codes, then I'll get back to this.
PFF
System Bot
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EDIT: I set everything nice and proper, idles in gear at 850-950
throttle may be a little hesitant, still waiting for it to try to die-out on me during takeoff from a stop.

only code 45 at this point, ecm cant adjust?

has a hard time getting fired up.
I have to crank and put some pedal into it to get it to fire. probably about 5 seconds.

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 01-11-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock