Stock radios? by hercimer01
Started on: 01-14-2013 01:53 AM
Replies: 48 (3732 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 03-24-2016 05:01 AM
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats the difference between these two stock Fiero cassette players?
The one on the left is from my 88 base model coupe. The one on the right is from an 85GT.

------------------

Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thx569

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thx569Send a Private Message to thx569Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Besides that one on the left is a (likely) plain jane model and the right one is a higher end model (pay a few dollars more for not that much tone difference), the difference is in the controls.

If you use the model numbers off the tags on each radio and do a search, you may get a radio repairer/reseller who has all the specs per unit.

P
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure why you're asking but if it's to figure whether you can use either one, they are interchangeable. Just plug and play... no mods needed.
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the one from the 85 has the Equalizer and loudness control--both are good for the performance sound system

------------------
Pat Jones

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just wondering because I got the one with the EQ from the junkyard. I want to do the 1/8" stereo plug mod like mmeyer86gt/gtp sells on Ebay. I wasn't sure if one was better than the other or if they were interchangeable.
bkaab

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkaabSend a Private Message to bkaabEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the plugs on the back the same? I had a hard time finding the old 3 plug radio for my 85. All I found was the 1 plug radio's. Not sure what year they switched but that could be a difference.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just took this pic tonight. The one one the right is still from the 85GT. They definitely have the same plugs. I didn't take the time to look before I asked. I did look for the thread on how to install a 1/8" stereo plug on the face, but I can't find it. I saw one a while back.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
This is from the 88 Coupe.

This is from the 85GT.

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not that it matters but just in case, the one on the right with the EQ is actually from an 88 model GM vehicle. The difference is the "Delco" on the face plate. Up to and through the 87 model year, the faceplate would have read "Delco/GM" Being an all black face plate means it's from an Astro van, S-10, camaro or full size van. Like everyone said, it will work fine in a Fiero. You may want to replace the casette drive belts before you install.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Externally... Radios are same plugs.

Internally are different.
MP3 Plug rewires radio output to main amp on inside of the unit. Adding MP3 etc plug does work on each unit but I'm guessing different instructions.

Equalizer unit... use search here and archive TD&Q

If you have other instructions, No tape or tape w/o Equalizer, Post them!
People here can fill the blanks if needed.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306:

Not that it matters but just in case, the one on the right with the EQ is actually from an 88 model GM vehicle. The difference is the "Delco" on the face plate. Up to and through the 87 model year, the faceplate would have read "Delco/GM" Being an all black face plate means it's from an Astro van, S-10, camaro or full size van. Like everyone said, it will work fine in a Fiero. You may want to replace the casette drive belts before you install.

and....If the backlight is Red..it's from a Pontiac...
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did pull the one on the right from an 85GT. They may have swapped it out at some point.
There is damage to the two wire plug on the back of it. It looks as if it had shorted out to ground, the connector is partially melted.
Is that the clock power input?
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best swap is a CD deck out of an early 90s Firebird - looks identical to the original tape deck and no one will steal it!
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The two wire plug is for the clock and the back lighting when the park/headlights are on. I forget which is which. I think Brown is 12v constant and orange is headlamp. Better double check with a test light tho.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

Best swap is a CD deck out of an early 90s Firebird - looks identical to the original tape deck and no one will steal it!

Is this the one you're talking about? This is the one that I have... exactly the same. Came out of a 1990 Bonneville.

EDIT: duh... tried to attach an image with youtube tags... heh.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 01-16-2013).]

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

Whats the difference between these two stock Fiero cassette players?
The one on the left is from my 88 base model coupe. The one on the right is from an 85GT.

Since they are both Delco, I am sure both probably have one or more functions that stopped working in 1995.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

Since they are both Delco, I am sure both probably have one or more functions that stopped working in 1995.

What do you mean? 1995?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008

That was a nice catch!
The one with the EQ came out of a 85GT, but they did swap it at some point. Its dated 1991.

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I was wrong! I've never seen a delco radio past 1988 with the individual blue, white, black plug style and separate clock/lamp lead. Interesting. I wonder what that came out of.
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What do you mean? 1995?

Your right. Stopped working in 1988.
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a readio / tape deck from a later GM car, which supposedly fits the Fiero. However, it didn't fit, and I could never find an adapter to make the wiring mate, pardon the expression.
Caveat emptor!!
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the MP3 input MOD from the How To section to the 88 generic radio. The OP never got it to work and fried his radio in the process. I had the same results except my fuse blew and the radio is OK but now I have a hole in the face of my radio.

The EQ radio sounds a lot than the generic one. The faceplate is blue and I think it may have come out of a 91 Blazer.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Is this the one you're talking about? This is the one that I have... exactly the same. Came out of a 1990 Bonneville.

EDIT: duh... tried to attach an image with youtube tags... heh.

Yup, that's the one. No one is going to try and swipe what appears to be a stock GM tape deck!
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I found MOD this thread on another forum. It removes the tuner pcb from the radio and replaces it with a USB/SD/AUX/FM module. It addresses where to connect the audio in the EQ version radio and i assume it could be modded with the 1/8" min stereo interrupter jack also.
If anything I will just put the interrupter jack in where the USB module connects to.

http://www.thirdgen.org/tec...delco-radio-mp3.html

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I used the above external thread link to figure out the AUX/MP3 input.

The tuner board is the top board.

Splice in the interrupter jack to the 3RD and 4TH wires counting from the front of the radio here. The wires from the tuner board go into pins 3 and 4 of the jack.

I didn't drill into the face plate yet because i wanted to test it first. I may remote mount the jack, not sure yet. It does work with my Droid X.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
It has a little bleed over from the FM circuit with the jack plugged in. It's not the best sounding but I don't have my front speakers in.
FieroDan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDan86Send a Private Message to FieroDan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No one has mentioned yet about the AM stereo button (no AM stations in stereo anymore if I'm not mistaken) and the CrO2 button for the tape player. Not that it matters anymore with very few people still playing tapes.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did notice that the Loud function didn't work.
Also I forgot to put capacitors (.1uF) in series with the phone L/R to protect it from damage or loading. I think it may be loading because the audio sounds weak from the phone. I do have to put the capacitors in when i wire up a cell phone to aircraft audio systems.

I haven't seen this MOD on Pennocks anywhere yet.
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It has a little bleed over from the FM circuit with the jack plugged in. It's not the best sounding but I don't have my front speakers in.

Try to find some shielded alarm wire it will get rid of the bleed over. http://homeavcables.com/22108.html

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8 aka (Hat tip to Mr. J. Jones!)
http://jalopnik.com/5901950...or-her-sweet-sixteen
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 22AWG shielded 2 and 3 conductor at work I could use.
Also I was wondering if I should just run the audio through a switch to a regular jack with one of these MTA 206D.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2013 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did notice that the Loud function didn't work.
Also I forgot to put capacitors (.1uF) in series with the phone L/R to protect it from damage or loading. I think it may be loading because the audio sounds weak from the phone. I do have to put the capacitors in when i wire up a cell phone to aircraft audio systems.

I haven't seen this MOD on Pennocks anywhere yet.

AM/FM/Cassette will still work properly.

Loud works too. It's just not as noticeable

I put the .1uF caps in and the audio was alot louder. The radio was loading down the phone output, however the highs are not coming through very well now. Levy in the GM thread said he was using 1uF caps. I will try that, It will be tomorrow night before I can work on it again.

Edit; I am going to replace the interrupter jack with a switch going to a plain 1/8" stereo jack also. I think thats what is causing the bleed over. I use the switch with a jack at work all the time and never have any problems. And yes I will use shielded wire too.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 01-21-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2013 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran the audio out from the tuner board to the DPDT switch feeding the amp board. I switched the audio to a regular 1/8" stereo jack.
I couldn't find 1uF capacitors so I used better .1uf caps in series with the jack input to the switch.
Still the audio has weak mid to treble. I tried it without the caps too. Not much difference.
My DroidX works in my other car plugged into the aux audio and my computer speakers too.

I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any info here?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
The audio on my Droid just quit working today. Its probably because I did the other MOD as described in the How To section, That thread was never finished and ended up with 12 volts on the jack tip and ground on the sleeve. That was plugged into my phone jack. Fortunately I have a really good warranty on my phone so I can get a new one at no charge.

Probably why the audio is so bad sounding to the radio.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my new phone and it sounds the same. This MOD does work but it sounds bad.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the objective to look stock?
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where can I buy an adapter for the later GM radios with tape players. I purchased one a while ago, but the stock connector is the wrong size.
Thanks!
bb
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't it just have been a lot easier to buy on of these?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/P...ette-Adapter/9917088
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried an CD adapter, but the stock radio / tape player rejects it.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Is the objective to look stock?

Yes. I am just trying to do a cheap permanent simple fix.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Wouldn't it just have been a lot easier to buy on of these?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/P...ette-Adapter/9917088

I have. I don't like those plus they're out of stock for the link you gave. You live in Canada. It gets hot here and if you've ever left one of those laying in direct sunlight, they're toast. I have to buy one a year it seems and they're not cheap for a good one.

http://www.radioshack.com/p...sp?productId=3932756

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock