Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  87 FIERO GT 3800 SUPERCHARGED BUILD (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
87 FIERO GT 3800 SUPERCHARGED BUILD by fieroaddicted
Started on: 12-20-2012 06:25 PM
Replies: 417 (26295 views)
Last post by: deezil on 01-20-2017 10:31 AM
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Getrag or Muncie axles work fine with the F23 as long as you mount the transmission in the same place as stock

cool, does it mount to the 3800 without an adapter plate and also use the same clutch as the 282?
IP: Logged
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the clutch is a gray area, some work some don't. an F23 from a 00-02 J body with the iron puke bolts right up.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweet thanks, i'll check that out on monday
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there are pics somewhere in my build thread showing the mounts I made, and the custom shift linkage I made. Edit to add, there's a link to my build thread in my sig.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 02-23-2013).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

there are pics somewhere in my build thread showing the mounts I made, and the custom shift linkage I made.

ya i started to have a look at your build thread. Seen a few pics of mounts you made...looks good. I am going to go with this tranny for my swap rather than the getrag. The getrag needs work, so it would be far better off i think to just go with an f23 that is good. So the f23's from a 2000 to 02 cavi are the ones that will work? I understand that there are a couple different types of these trannys and some will work and some not. I think I will take a few measurements off my 3800 and compare them with the tranny before i pick one up to be safe.
troy
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroaddicted:

ya i started to have a look at your build thread. Seen a few pics of mounts you made...looks good. I am going to go with this tranny for my swap rather than the getrag. The getrag needs work, so it would be far better off i think to just go with an f23 that is good. So the f23's from a 2000 to 02 cavi are the ones that will work? I understand that there are a couple different types of these trannys and some will work and some not. I think I will take a few measurements off my 3800 and compare them with the tranny before i pick one up to be safe.
troy

you'll be able to tell the difference by looking at them, the bellhousings are way different.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so i take it i need one that is the same as you have pictured?
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
http://catalogues.kimpex.co...13/en-ca/#/72/zoomed

I wonder what these seats would look like in the fiero...like the black and silver ones
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

so i take it i need one that is the same as you have pictured?

yes, you need one that looks like mine!
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The F23 is a nice tranny for the 3800SC engine I am also going to use one on my car. From what I have found doing 4 other F23 swaps now the SPEC III clutch for the Fiero Getrag 5 speed does work on a F body flywheel machined down to .840 and in my case I have used the HTOB spacer on every one of them and will as well on my own. Figure for the $40 some thing it costs it is worth it to not have to take it all apart again later to replace a very expensive HTOB if it gets over extended and blows. Dan
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have used the HTOB spacer on every one of them and will as well on my own.

Dan, this is going to sound stupid, but what does HTOB stand for? I know i will feel stupid when i find out.
troy
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
throw out bearing spacer?
Bixby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BixbySend a Private Message to BixbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hydraulic Throwout bearing. - Glad i could help. =p

[This message has been edited by Bixby (edited 02-23-2013).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gee thanks wade, I knew i could count on you. lol
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it took me a little while, but i finally found this....

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087296.html

Anyone doing a f23 swap needs to see this that hasn't already!
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So it took me a little while, but i finally found this....

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087296.html

Anyone doing a f23 swap needs to see this that hasn't already!

yeah, I think that thread should be in the FAQ board
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found a f23 from an 02 cavi with 2.2 vin 4 with 150k on it. Gonna pick it up later this week!
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2013 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wondering about a clutch for the F23. Thinking of a Spec stage 3+ clutch for the swap. Where can it be bought and for what application do i order it? 87 fireo getrag? 2001 2.2 cavi?
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up my F23 today!

a tad bit grimy, but a good bath and some paint will fix that. The price was right at $120!

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd replace the HTOB at minimum, I would probably have that transmission rebuilt, it looks as though it was submerged or something...

------------------

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I was planning on opening it up and checking it out. I wouldn't dare fire it in the way it is. Yes it definitely needs a HTOB and I will get a spacer as well.
I was told it was in a barn for the past year and a half, but I am with you on that. It definitely "looks" like it was closer to water than a barn. I shifted it and everything, and it spins smooth and no noise, so i figured i would get it for the money and take a chance.
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drained the oil from the F23 today and crossed my fingers. It was surprisingly very clean considering the condition of the outside of the case, which was good news. Just waiting on my cam and double roller timing set to come so i can finish the engine.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
parts came today to build the F23 interface circuit.

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up my new cam today! Super pumped to get this thing going

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

a copy of the spec sheet..

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by fieroaddicted (edited 03-16-2013).]

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
installed cam new today. Also got the lifters cleaned up and re installed.

pushrods all clean and ready to go back in

autolite 103's installed

cam sprocket temporarily installed until i get the new rollmaster double set.

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. Dan
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks DAn! I am waiting for my timing set to show up so i can get the engine finished.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
So i was looking at my lower intake gaskets. the ones that go on the front and back do not seem to fit properly. I have determined that they only go one way because they are slash cut on the ends to match up with the gasket at either side. Edit to add these are the wrong end gaskets. The right ones are supposed to have locating protrusions that fit into the two locating dowel holes.

In this next pic, you can see that there are 2 lips on the underside. One will go down over the inside edge of the block, while the other side will not because of the two raised dowel pin holes that are not used. I would assume it is alright to cut away the edge in those two spots so that it will fit right. Anyone have any insight?
troy

[This message has been edited by fieroaddicted (edited 03-21-2013).]

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do your self a big favour and toss the plastic lower intake gaskets and get a set of series III aluminum ones from ZZP. Dan
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured out what the problem was with the lower intake end gaskets. I ended up getting the wrong felpro top gasket set. I have the wrong lower intake end seals and 2 LEFT side head gaskets! I looked closer at the head gaskets, and noticed that the right side one is about an 1/8" low on the front edge, but it is up where it should be on the back of the engine. I don't know how i missed this when i put it together. See pic below. It's a crappy pic, but if you look close, you can see the gasket is a bit low.

It is easier to see in this pic.

Felpro rep said that the head gaskets are the same. He had never heard of that. I told him to look on ZZP's site, since the same gaskets are listed as left and right. Haven't heard yet, but hopefully they will go good for the end seals and the right side head gasket and new head bolts for that side. Victor gaskets also list the head gaskets as separate gaskets.

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Felpro gaskets are the same Victor's have left, right. You have to flip one of the felpros
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You have to flip one of the felpros

Yes I tried this. It does not matter how it is installed on the head, it does not fit right. What you are suggesting would be true if the heads were a mirror image of each other. They are not. The heads are the same part # and are identical, which means that one is backwards to the other when placed on the other side. They left side gasket will not work on the right side no matter how it is placed because of the dowel pin locations.

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nosrac, here are a couple pics that show my issue better. In the pics shown, the gasket is on with arrow pointing forward like it is supposed to be and you can see that the gasket is low on the front corner. If i flip it, it is then low on the rear top corner instead. I have the new right one on the way

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012
I just checked the post office box tonight, and there was a card for a parcel in it! My engine/tranny mounts have arrived! I'll post a couple pics when i pick them up tomorrow.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nosrac, here are a couple pics that show my issue better. In the pics shown, the gasket is on with arrow pointing forward like it is supposed to be and you can see that the gasket is low on the front corner. If i flip it, it is then low on the rear top corner instead. I have the new right one on the way

It seems the felpro's may have a right and left gasket now as when I ordered mine last year there was only one, that you had to flip.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah maybe. All i know is i couldn't get it to fit, so i called the shop where i bought the gaskets, and he called felpro. In the end, they figured out there was a typo in the book, and he noticed that Victor gaskets offered a left and right with a different part #. Apparently there was an early and late production of the series II motor (mine was the later one) and that accounted for the wrong intake end gaskets. As far as the head gaskets go, I am assuming i got 2 left side ones cuz the gaskets are identical and the left side fits perfect. The gasket fit on the right side fit as well with respect to all combustion chambers and passages, but it was not up where it should have been. If i had not noticed, it would have worked, other than an oil leak i would have had to contend with.
troy
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up my new F23/3800 mount brackets today courtesy of FIEROFLYER!
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried my mounts on the engine and tranny today. The engine bracket and one tranny mount fit perfect. A bolt boss needs to be cut off for the other to fit.

I also managed to get the new cradle sandblasted today and ready for primer/paint. I snapped a couple pics of it before primer. It looks to be in great shape!

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you tell me what car the tranny came out of as that piece is not on any of the F23's I have seen so far and I would like to make sure the mounts work on all F23s. Dan
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cut that off of my F23

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock