Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  WHAT FLYWHEEL TO RUN FOR A 3800 S/C FIERO?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
WHAT FLYWHEEL TO RUN FOR A 3800 S/C FIERO? by fieroaddicted
Started on: 12-16-2012 09:38 AM
Replies: 13 (825 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 07-19-2013 10:13 PM
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 87 GT with 5 speed getrag trans. Doing a 3800 s/c swap using a 97 engine and an f23 tranny. Do I just get a camaro flywheel from the same year and have it machined if needed? Or are there different ones?
troy

[This message has been edited by fieroaddicted (edited 05-21-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Camaro 3800 flywheel, cut down to .840" thick, and balanced to match the original flexplate. The balancing is the secret. The NA 3800s are internally balanced, so the flywheel will have a neutral balance...the SC 3800s are externally balanced.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the flywheel have to be from the same year or does that matter?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No series 2/3 3800s were internally balanced. Machine it to .820".

Any 3800 camaro flyhweel will work. Your best bet is to find an OEM one from a junkyard if you can. Some china flywheels have bad metal.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any 3800 camaro flyhweel will work. Your best bet is to find an OEM one from a junkyard if you can. Some china flywheels have bad metal.

sweet, thanks. I will definitely check that out.. It should be fairly easy to find i hope.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am see both of the following comments above, about flywheel thickness for machining.

Which thickness is most recommended for least amount of issues?

Thanks for the help

Camaro 3800 flywheel, cut down to .840" thick, and balanced to match the original flexplate.

No series 2/3 3800s were internally balanced. Machine it to .820".
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your grany is going to drive it do the camaro flywheel thing. Heavy flywheels are for little engines in heavy cars. You have a little, light car with a very big TQ engine. use a alum fly wheel. You will love it. It will SCARE ricers.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FFIEROFRED:

If your grany is going to drive it do the camaro flywheel thing. Heavy flywheels are for little engines in heavy cars. You have a little, light car with a very big TQ engine. use a alum fly wheel. You will love it. It will SCARE ricers.

heh yeah, but i have already bought a camaro flywheel. Actually i just got a call today stating that the machining and balancing is done and it is ready to be picked up. Now i just need to get my htob and i can mate the engine and trans together.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3800 NA & SC are both externally balanced.

The SC has a bigger counterweight (external balance) than the NA, but they both are externally balanced.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The light flywheel will let it rev quick. the stock one will rev slooow.
PFF
System Bot
IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the Camaro flywheel is better because of the extra weight and because its all steel and allows you to use a larger clutch.

I had the aluminum flywheel with the steel insert and it tended to stall out in first gear because it was so light. Also, I could only use the smaller clutch disc because of the size of the steel insert.

I bet you get better fuel mileage on the freeway with the steel flywheel over the aluminum one because of the extra rotational mass.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
their are more than one company you can get a alum flywheel from.

don't stall it.

get one for the bigger clutch.

It takes gas to get that man hole cover rotating. The engine can put more work in to moving the car instead of moving the fly wheel.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
.....wrong thread

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-19-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock