Started on: 11-30-2012 04:22 PM
Replies: 17 (425 views)
Last post by: lateFormula on 10-27-2013 03:17 PM
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine ran great when I dropped the cradle to do some other work. I don't like the looks of the spacer, but it always ran perfectly. Is this usable? Thanks.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no if there were DOT inspections on cars i would down you lol. i would suggest you not use that.

[This message has been edited by Niterrorz (edited 11-30-2012).]

FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah c'mon, what's the worst that could happen? Snapping my crank and sending parts and oil flying everywhere while I hurtle down the freeway in a 2800-lb fireball?

Is there any way to fix that or do I need to buy an entirely new one?

Is there any interchange or does it have to be from a pre-88 Fiero v6?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by FieroGT42 (edited 11-30-2012).]

Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
because of how the engine is balanced between the 85-87 and the 88 you will need 2.8 specific balancers i believe, as for flying down the highway in a fireball..... that would be cool :P but i dont think youd have ot worry much about that. worse case it breaks you dont notice the vibration and it destroys your crank journals.

[This message has been edited by Niterrorz (edited 11-30-2012).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Niterrorz:
1. because of how the engine is balanced between the 85-87 and the 88 you will need 2.8 specific balancers i believe, as for flying down the highway in a fireball..... that would be cool :P but i dont think youd have ot worry much about that. 2. worse case it breaks you dont notice the vibration and it destroys your crank journals.

1. No. Harmonic Balance.
Crank design and flywheel sets up internal/external balance engine.
Many use FWD units and remarked the timing marks.

2. Worse case? Maybe.
Works ok now but for how long? Rubber is failing now and was giving you a Big Warning. A hour to a month or two... Reuse that? I wouldn't.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

1. No. Harmonic Balance.
Crank design and flywheel sets up internal/external balance engine.
Many use FWD units and remarked the timing marks.

2. Worse case? Maybe.
Works ok now but for how long? Rubber is failing now and was giving you a Big Warning. A hour to a month or two... Reuse that? I wouldn't.

Agree

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Stickerguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StickerguySend a Private Message to StickerguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes.... it is usable... for a number of things, paper weight, door stop, boat anchor..... but useless on an engine.
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks. I found a reasonable price on a new one. These are stupidly expensive for what they are though
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a guy (Mike @ Car-X, Skokie, IL) who did a nice job on installing Koni's for a reasonable price. He says I need a harmonic balancer because there is oil all over it. He says it wobbles and is walking into the oil pan, that's why it leaks and will get worse.

That was three weeks and a thousand miles ago. Anyway he can't find a new one.

I found one at TFS, but it's a Dorman unit that doesn't have the correct timing marks. Dorman doesn't list a harmonic balancer for Fiero's except the 87-88 Duke. I have the TFS one, but still haven't found time to have it put on.

Advance and some others have sleeves, but I think we're beyond that.

The Damper Doctor will rebuild, but that would leave me without a car for quite a while because it has to be shipped to CA and back. They don't have the correct one in stock.

The other option is ATI, sold by Summit Racing, but for over three hundred bucks with delayed shipping.

So where did you get your new balancer?
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a couple really good condition used ones off 2.8's (86) if you have interest. $55 shipped for one. One I bought from dampner doctor about a year ago.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right now you have it out and have easy access to it. Replace it while it's easy and you have the chance.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone who has one of these collecting dust and not in use on a car should do the Fiero community a favor and contact Damper Doctor to send them in as cores. Damper Dr will pay you a core value if the unit is can be rebuilt. That way there will be a supply for those who need replacements.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sent one to damp er dr that looked rebuildable when I bought one from them. No core refund, no explanation, no money.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently they often cannot be rebuilt. At least you have one. If I had sent them mine and they said it couldn't be rebuilt, then what?

The one TFS sells is Dorman 594-013. Pep Boys has them available for much less.

Went to Pep Boys this morning after making an appointment online and calling, but when I got there they said they couldn't do it today. Arrrrg! This is why I keep buying tools and doing it myself. This morning I wasted at least an hour that could have been used on that or other projects. So often even when you are willing to pay or do pay someone to do the job you end up doing it yourself anyway. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg.

I still think the real problem is an oil leak somewhere else that is ending up on the balancer. Not good, but if I want those other items attended to -- I'll have to do it myself.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They have others they would send you. They charge a core when you order and send one from stock. Send yours back in the box they send. When they get yours they decide if they'll refund the core charge. Wonder how many refunds they actually send?
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only at the moment they don't.

I wrote to Summit Racing asking about the ATI ones. One of them says it ships 'tomorrow', but when you click on details it says ships 'November 11', like the others. The question with the ATI's is they look so different I'm not sure if they will fit the pulley right and if they will pull and install with a normal harmonic balancer puller. Most pullers cost around twenty bucks, the one(s) listed with ATI are over a hundred and look different. The three different ATI units have slightly different prices and descriptions, like steel, aluminum, internally balanced, etc.

Does anyone know more about these?
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:
Wonder how many refunds they actually send?

If you are speaking of Damper Dr I got a core refund from them when I returned the old one I pulled off my engine after purchasing one from them. I am a satisfied customer and would do business with them again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock