coolant temperature sensor and cold start injector switch by Bruce
Started on: 11-18-2012 01:32 PM
Replies: 5 (905 views)
Last post by: SC87GT on 03-26-2014 09:44 PM
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2012 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I followed the PPF picture of the coolant temperature sensor (post: 7/11), but I can't seem to find it on my 86 GT. All I see is a rectangular box of wires below the thermostat housing. How do I get to the CTS?
Also, the cold start injector switch, which I discoverd quite by accident, seems to be awfully exposed and vulnerable to dirt, etc. Is there a simple way to perform routine cleaning / maintenance to be on the safe side?
On the bright side, literally and figuratively, I removed the trunk carpet after a heavy rain (for Southern California). I didn't find a speck of rust, so the good comes with the bad.
Happy Thanksgiving week!
bb
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2012 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bloozberry's yellow engine.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2012 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gall,
Thanks for the picture!!
What do I have to remove to get to the ECM temp sensor? I just can't seem to find it on my engine.
bb
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2012 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bruce

2189 posts
Member since May 99
I discovered and extracted the CTS. I was a little confused, at first, since the new part fits into a larger bolt that goes to the engine block. It is now soaking in rust dissolver, since the two bolts have been mated for 26 years.
It was also a chore to disconnect the sensor connector, since I didn't want to break the plastic snap. I gently used a standart flat head screw driver to wedge the connector apart, and off it came.
Whether or not replacing the CTS affects anything remains to be seen, but it certainly can't hurt replacing a part that came off the assembly line some time ago.
Yours for busted knuckles,
bb
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

It was also a chore to disconnect the sensor connector, since I didn't want to break the plastic snap. I gently used a standart flat head screw driver to wedge the connector apart, and off it came.

For future reference: Almost all electrical connectors in the Fiero have a latch that has to be released before you can de-mate the connector halves. A few connectors even have a locking pin that has to be removed before you can release the latch. A small flat-blade screwdriver is usually the tool of choice for releasing the latch, and you are wise to go slowly and carefully to avoid breaking the old and brittle latch and/or connector housings.

When re-mating connectors I highly recommend applying a small amount of purpose-specific (i.e. electronic) dielectric grease to the connector halves to help protect the pins from heat, fretting, and corrosion.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 11-19-2012).]

SC87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC87GTSend a Private Message to SC87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem when removing my cts. The bolt it attaches to also came out if the block and is seized to the old cts. Does anyone know the name of the bolt that the cts attaches to? I cannot find the name, a reference, or the part anywhere...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock