Click here to visit the donation page | View all sponsors
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Is it possible to "clock" a power steering rack and pinion?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is it possible to "clock" a power steering rack and pinion? by sspeedstreet
Started on: 11-06-2012 11:51 AM
Replies: 8 (468 views)
Last post by: sspeedstreet on 11-09-2012 02:24 AM
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

11-06-2012 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetClick Here to Email sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have never seem a power rack and pinion apart, so there may be some obvious reason this can't be done.

The majority of racks I've seen have the pipes on the top of the unit when installed

Others, like the Mercur and the original Fiero EHPS units have the pipes on the front

The rack housings are actually two parts; an aluminum valve body/pinion carrier and a steel tube extension. What would it take to clock the steel extension 90*? I see two metal "nubs" 180* apart at the junction of the two parts. Do these align the two halves?

It would sure make it easier to mount the Corvette rack in the Fiero (with a front mounted battery tray) if the lines could be rotated 90* to the front or rear.

Thanks,

Neil

IP: Logged

GreenPlatypus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

11-06-2012 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusClick Here to Email GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No you can not reclock the rack and pinion position, they will only go together one way.

[This message has been edited by GreenPlatypus (edited 11-06-2012).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

11-06-2012 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetClick Here to Email sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GreenPlatypus:

No you can not reclock the rack and pinion position, they will only go together one way.

Is that because of the rack shape or other internal restraints or simply because of the mechanical connection of the two parts?

Spoon

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

11-07-2012 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonClick Here to Email SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The power rack in my 86 has the tubes on the top. 2000 TA rack. I also want a front battery box so I'm planning on re-bending the 2 tubes so they are in front of the rack. Or replace that tubing with braided tubing if it can handle the pressure.

Currently the tire tub is still out.

Just my 2 cents.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

11-08-2012 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetClick Here to Email sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I bent the tubes to the rear, so that's not an issue. The traversing part of the lines is really not the issue, tho. At least on my install, anyway. Even if the connections were moved to the front or rear, the lowest the battery could go would be sitting on the rack and pinion housing. I can't move the battery any further forward due to the sway bar.

Zac88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

11-08-2012 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageClick Here to Email Zac88GTSend a Private Message to Zac88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes they can be clocked. Those two "pins" are the only things that hold the two halves together. The pins have some spiral splines on them that dig in when they are installed but you can pry them out without damaging them. Then just throw a pipe wrench on the steel body and clock it as desired. You'll have to drill two new holes for the pins in the aluminum body inside the steel sleeve after you have it in position, and then hammer in the pins.

I had to do this on a Corvette steering rack for my Miata so I know it can be done.

Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

11-08-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonClick Here to Email SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, plan "B".
There's a spot under the passenger headlight that can accommdate a battery. Check the archives. A member on here made a tray to fit. I plan on doing mine that way.

Oh yeah, the lights still open and close.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

11-08-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonClick Here to Email SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zac88GT:

Yes they can be clocked. Those two "pins" are the only things that hold the two halves together. The pins have some spiral splines on them that dig in when they are installed but you can pry them out without damaging them. Then just throw a pipe wrench on the steel body and clock it as desired. You'll have to drill two new holes for the pins in the aluminum body inside the steel sleeve after you have it in position, and then hammer in the pins.

I had to do this on a Corvette steering rack for my Miata so I know it can be done.

Great idea. You guys are amazing.

Spoon

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

11-09-2012 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetClick Here to Email sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zac88GT:

THANK YOU! Next time I have the front apart I'm going to do this. A "+" for you.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock