Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  best mounts? and cradle bushings for 3800 swap?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
best mounts? and cradle bushings for 3800 swap? by 85bluegtma
Started on: 10-08-2012 07:55 PM
Replies: 15 (1683 views)
Last post by: johnguzman1212 on 11-18-2014 09:52 PM
85bluegtma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anyone know who has the best mounts for a 3800 swap
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm biased for Fiero X mounts, very strong, easy install, and simple. Cradle bushings should be poly, aluminum is not necessary and more pricy. Poly is plenty hard.

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project soon to tear up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

I'm biased for Fiero X mounts, very strong, easy install, and simple. Cradle bushings should be poly, aluminum is not necessary and more pricy. Poly is plenty hard.

I disagree on the cradle bushings, they should be aluminum, you already have bushings for the motor mounts and control arms, there's no need to further isolate the car from vibrations, you just add another part to move and wear out by using the poly, on top of that, they aren't expensive in aluminum.

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After personally witnessing serious fitment problems from a few local Fiero owners who bought the Purple Rain mounts, I would not recommend them.

The urethane cradle bushings may be stiff, but they're not solid. They still do flex. ANY flex in the cradle mounting is bad for handling. That's why the cradle bushings were deleted (the cradle is solid-mounted) on the '88 Fieros.
FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2012 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like anyone would say about their own product, ours are the best.

5 point mount system compared to all other kits which are 4. Thicker steel than all others as well

------------------
3.4TDC/4.9l/3800(SC) Swap kits and parts

F23 Transmission Kits

Big Brake Adapters

Polish and Powder Coating

True dual equal length 3800 Headers

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:
I disagree on the cradle bushings, they should be aluminum, you already have bushings for the motor mounts and control arms, there's no need to further isolate the car from vibrations, you just add another part to move and wear out by using the poly, on top of that, they aren't expensive in aluminum.

anyone else? solid or poly? one of my main goals in my build is keep weight down hence why im using a 3800 instead of a v8. and to make it handle better then it ever did wich was good to begin with.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends... Auto or manual? If manual, I go with Rodney's poly mounts at all three corners with a fabbed front engine mount. If auto, I've used Fierox's mounts. Had good luck with both and no need for a dogbone. -Jason
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85bluegtma:

anyone else? solid or poly? one of my main goals in my build is keep weight down hence why im using a 3800 instead of a v8. and to make it handle better then it ever did wich was good to begin with.

I mean both are very stiff, aluminum is obviously stiffer. It's a street car right? I guess I'm using mine as a DD plus poly is cheaper that's about it.

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project soon to tear up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

It's a street car right?

u mean streetable?
it wont ever be a daily driver again but i wanna drive it on the street....
djlamp14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for djlamp14Send a Private Message to djlamp14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
these poly and aluminum 3800 mounts. Are you guys just PM'ing the maker for them or do they have a website to get them at.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

Like anyone would say about their own product, ours are the best.

5 point mount system compared to all other kits which are 4. Thicker steel than all others as well

All mount brackets use only one bolt for the connection to the mount. No matter how thick the steel is , the engine and trans sit connected by them. Do your mounts use heavier larger diam. bolts?.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

All mount brackets use only one bolt for the connection to the mount. No matter how thick the steel is , the engine and trans sit connected by them. Do your mounts use heavier larger diam. bolts?.

On fiero x mounts, the front mount under the crank is held by 2 bolts.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought a set of WCF mounts. all three engine/trans moutns, and their Poly cradle mounts. Worked great, slight mod to the cradle to center the engine.

Pics attached.

rob
FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2012 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

10.9 bolts and mount studs > 3/16 and 1/4 mild steel bracket. You'll bend the mounts before you break the bolts

All hardware and mount studs are M12x1.75, so yes, bigger.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy your self a nice mig welder and make all your own mounts and brackets that way every thing will line up properly with out elongating holes. It will be cheaper this way and you will still own a nice mig when finished. Dan
johnguzman1212

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnguzman1212Send a Private Message to johnguzman1212Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im going to make my own too. hes right buy a mig welder 100 bucks and some steel diy

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock