Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  My Sunbird Boost-Tacho is different from the others being modded, help?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
My Sunbird Boost-Tacho is different from the others being modded, help? by XgovernmentAgent
Started on: 09-08-2012 02:21 PM
Replies: 17 (1062 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 02-08-2014 01:48 AM
XgovernmentAgent

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This one looks different on the circuit board...

I believe this is the 88 and newer one, correct?

How would I go about wiring this one up? RadioShack doesn't have a 1M-Ohm trimmer, any way to make a substitute or are there any exact values out there for what to use when converting a 4 cylinder tach to a V6 tach?

Here is the thread in reference to the mod.
How to install Sunbird Turbo Tachometer in a Fiero

And I have read Oliver's page, it doesn't make sense to me.

[This message has been edited by XgovernmentAgent (edited 09-08-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
slicknick

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe changing the cap is more accurate anyhow, though I forget the value. Radio shack should have it if you figure it out though.

If you want to pull up the datasheet for the air core gauge driver chip, the circuits GM used were textbook examples.

Same with the boost gauge. Everyone says they're not accurate, but there's no reason they shouldn't be. They even provide an adjustment pot for it.
XgovernmentAgent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2012 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
XgovernmentAgent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
XgovernmentAgent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as far as hooking it up, while I haven't seen this kind, how many studs are longer than the others?
4?
12v, gnd, tach and map.

Looks like they're even labeled on there.
XgovernmentAgent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mapped out the modded board that is shown in other threads and followed relating the pins and labels on this board. The gauge cluster for the Sunbird was remade so no aux wire is needed for the boost gauge on the tach board. The wire on the other boards modded is labeled BS(BooSt). That extra screw terminal is labeled BS and moved above the tach stepper terminals. It has some slight differences obviously, but operates the same with the same hardware. All the studs are the same length.

Others technical info and input would be great for this. For 'Just to know' reasons.

The IC for the boost portion of the board is labeled 9907A CS8851J. I am having no luck finding any info on this chip... maybe someone else can locate info for this chip?

[This message has been edited by XgovernmentAgent (edited 02-25-2013).]

slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure everything uses the LM1819

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/snosbe7a/snosbe7a.pdf

Like I said earlier, one of the examples in that datasheet is the exact circuit GM uses for the gauges. Trace the boost gauge circuit out, you'll see it.

I don't have my Fiero stuff handy, else I'd go into a little more detail.
XgovernmentAgent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent, Thanks! Everything matches.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am doing this Tach mod also.Where does the 1M OHM variable Pot go?

I would post a pic but PIP has crapped out once again.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so I got the new tach.
I modded the housing so it will fit.
I put the 1Meg ohm trimmer pot in place of R14 and cut the foil run. This tach is the less desirable one because of the face so its not covered as far as I can find. The PC board is different than most covered MODs.

This is mine and how I did it.

I used Torque to calibrate the tach. I haven't wired in the boost gauge yet.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 01-22-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am working on making backlit overlays too. A sneak peek. I found these on the forum from 2003. There's more variations.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 01-22-2014).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what I came up with.
I used GIMP photo-editing freeware to edit them.

https://drive.google.com/fi...Tkk/edit?usp=sharing I printed directly from this to plain white paper.
This pic is only a Low Res JPG

Courtesy of 85GT_3800SC

This is the back-lighting. I think it looks OK printed onto white paper then with the gauge face glued on to it with a light coat of contact spray.
https://docs.google.com/fil...RHdhOFY2WmFwRTg/edit

This pic is only a Low Res JPG

Courtesy of 85GT_3800SC

These are the GIMP Files For editing If anyone wants them.
https://drive.google.com/fi...Tkk/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/fil...RHdhOFY2WmFwRTg/edit

Gimp Free Ware.
http://www.gimp.org/

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 02-01-2014).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
If some one can edit these please do and repost them.

AusFiero has more templates.
http://www.fieroshop.com.au...com_docman&Itemid=74
85GT_3800SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT_3800SCSend a Private Message to 85GT_3800SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good ! My 85 has the non-backlit instrument panel , but I am getting the urge to change that after seeing your work here. Backlit guages look so much better (you can actually read them at night!)
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85GT_3800SC:

Looks good ! My 85 has the non-backlit instrument panel , but I am getting the urge to change that after seeing your work here. Backlit guages look so much better (you can actually read them at night!)

These aren't finished yet. I tried them in the car with the lights on, and they need some more work.
The Red back-lit overlay needs to have each light transfer segment enlarged for better light transfer through to the front layer.
Also i'm not sure how these will come out printed onto the final medium.
I plan to use clear plastic for the red back-lit layer and sticky white paper for the top finish layer.

Also the boost segments dont make sense. They need to be divided up into 5 PSI segments.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 01-25-2014).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the templates are pretty much done. What do you guys think?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't mean to hijack this thread, It's just the right one for a complete overhaul of the later odd ball tacs.

I didn't get the light distribution quite right on the boost scale but it was the best I could do.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock