3800sc series 1 coolant routing by DonP
Started on: 09-04-2012 04:18 PM
Replies: 3 (156 views)
Last post by: JL 87 GT on 03-25-2014 09:12 AM
DonP

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I now have our series 1 running, only to find a coolant leak. On the series 1 there is a tube coming from under the SC, pointing straight out the front near the belt tensioner. It is located close to and parallel to a similar tube coming from the top of the water pump. My read is that these are supposed to head to the now non-existent heater core. I have routed a hose to connect the two tubes. Does this sound correct? I ran the engine for a short time and a loud hiss developed as bubbles escaped from around the tube. I suspect a blown o-ring.

And I assume that I do not want to plug the two inlet/outlets as this provides cooling to the lower intake manifold. The leak I can deal with by replacing an o-ring. Not fun but doable.

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don, any tube on any 3800 that exits the lower intake manifold's coolant passage is going to be the outlet (to the heater core). Any tube or port on the water pump is going to be the return (from the heater core).

You do NOT want to plug either of these ports/tubes and just leave them capped off on a running engine. If you are not going to run a heater core, then you need to connect both tubes/ports together with a length of heater hose. The reason why is because if you block these off, the water pump could build extreme pressure if the engine is operated at high RPM while the thermostat is closed - and this could blow out gaskets and seals. Connecting both ports/tubes together with a hose will allow excess water pump head pressure to vent off and recirculate back into the water pump while the thermostat is closed.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

DonP

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Ryan for the detailed confirmation. I do have the two tubes connected via a pieces of heater hose - actually I found a U bend that fits nicely to prevent kinking. But towards your other comments, I did indeed observe what I thought was a very high pressure in the heater hose heading towards the radiator. And the radiator was still stone cold. I do not think the (new) thermostat had yet opened. Thanks again for the input.

Don
JL 87 GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JL 87 GTSend a Private Message to JL 87 GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you ever figure out what went where ? I have the same problem.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock