Started on: 09-04-2012 12:29 AM
Replies: 15 (733 views)
Last post by: TriumphFetish on 04-14-2014 11:27 AM
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So....going by the directions, it is pretty clear how to put this together, and how to drill the frame, etc...basically, it goes together like the pic below (the cigar cutters holding it up represent the frame):

The question is...it also came with four bushings...shown below (one on a bolt to show it's size). It doesn't seem to mention them anywhere in the instructions, and I don't see what their purpose is. Any thoughts before I harass Rodney on the phone again?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They go under the flat square washers on top of the Fiero frame (inside the opening you cut). Without them you would end up with the floating plates bolted solid to the frame. They provide the space for the floating nut plate to "float".

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

They go under the flat square washers on top of the Fiero frame (inside the opening you cut). Without them you would end up with the floating plates bolted solid to the frame. They provide the space for the floating nut plate to "float".

I wasn't following that at first, but I see that the holes in the replacement plate must be larger then the bushings themselves to allow them to move around once the outer bolts are tightened to the frame rail. Great idea really!

Kevin

CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotcha...that makes sense. Was wondering why you made the holes so big there. Figured that was a bit excessive to compensate for drilling imperfections. Thanx Rodney.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed it this morning. Wanted to add a thanks to Rodney for another wonderful product. This went far smoother than I expected. I think the hardest part was folding the flap down so I could work on it.

Now...if I mix threadlocker and anti-sieze and use it on the rear cradle bolts....then they will stay in until I want them out, then come out smoothly, right?
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-05-2012 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what is this for exactly..
NW-Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-05-2012 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NW-Fiero:

http://rodneydickman.com/ca....php?products_id=276

thanks..
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this thread is 2 years old but I am in need of performing this upgrade/repair. Can this be installed without removing the rear bodywork?

Thanks.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I removed the wheel well since I was removing the cradle but didn't have to remove anything else. they worked great, need small fingers for the inner nuts.
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply. Ordering them today.
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
they work great, have them on my 86
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you find the install easy?
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope I don't ever need them but it's nice to know they are available if I ever do!

[This message has been edited by BrittB (edited 04-13-2014).]

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TriumphFetish:

Did you find the install easy?

If you need this, then yes the install is easy compared to taking the old one out!!
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I do need them. The passenger side was the only cradle bolt that didn't come out easy peasy... I'm planning on replacing all the suspension/cradle bushings, shock and struts this weekend. I was going to get a head start on the project this weekend by replacing the cradle bushings... Now I have to go through this process to get to the cradle bushings. :-)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock