How to change trunk light bulb? by commodore_dude
Started on: 08-30-2012 05:53 PM
Replies: 14 (1124 views)
Last post by: Eliredandblack on 07-14-2020 04:37 PM
commodore_dude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commodore_dudeSend a Private Message to commodore_dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hoping this is an easy one, but I couldn't find a similar thread even in the archives. How do you get to the trunk light bulb to change it? The plastic lens/housing will pull out just a little bit from the wall of the trunk, but I'm afraid of breaking anything else by being clumsy so I didn't want to try and muscle it all the way out without checking first.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does simply pull out, but from one side only. I've never been able to tell which side has the little spring tab and which side has a pair of long prongs that hold the connector to the lens, so it's a trial and error process. Unfortunately due to the age of the plastic, even if you guess the correct side to lever out, yout almost always end up breaking the plastic spring tab. I think TFS sells the lenses if you break yours.
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull it/pry it from the right, or passenger side. The left side has the electrical plug and won't pull through very well from that side. The retaining arms are fairly thick so you shouldn't have much problem getting it out unless someone glued it in place.
commodore_dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commodore_dudeSend a Private Message to commodore_dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, I'm gonna owe some +es when I get enough posts. Pulled out the housing as far as I dared, and then I used a small flat head screwdriver to push in ever so slightly on the passenger-side edge of the housing and it popped out without incident. There was more slack in the wiring than I was expecting, that's helpful and surprising considering all the electrical problems that I'm learning escaped from the factory. Bulb didn't look particularly bad, but I'm getting voltage so I guess I'll throw one of those in on my next parts order. Thanks!
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may be getting voltage, but do have a good ground? If you have power when placing a test light or volt meter from the bulb socket to a general body ground you are bypassing the trunk light circuit ground. If you measure voltage from both terminals of the light socket with the trunk lid open then you are testing the whole circuit.
commodore_dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commodore_dudeSend a Private Message to commodore_dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't get any kind of reading that makes sense when I do that. Maybe related to the overall electrical issue I'm having that I think is a bad ground somewhere?
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Below is a good thread regarding the trunk light inop. The ground for the circuit is in the switch by the trunk lid release. There is also a connector near the passenger side of the engine compartment wall. Sometimes the connections get corroded and the ground is not effective. Your problem definitely seems to be ground related. You could try jumping the ground wire in the harness (not the lead that goes to the switch) and see if the light works. Just a matter of locating where in the circuit you have a problem.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/124379.html
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you do figure out your electrical problem
here is a thread about the light housing.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-2-068175.html
st88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for st88fieroSend a Private Message to st88fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. To remove the lightbulb while it is on, is the best way to just unclip the plug from it, or is it ok to use a small screwdriver to pull the clip away from the bulb. I unplugged it while doing mine, but I'm just curious....and remember, there are no dumb questions, just stupid people that ask them ;-)
GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by st88fiero:

This may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. To remove the lightbulb while it is on, is the best way to just unclip the plug from it, or is it ok to use a small screwdriver to pull the clip away from the bulb. I unplugged it while doing mine, but I'm just curious....and remember, there are no dumb questions, just stupid people that ask them ;-)

I would unplug the wires it and leave it to cool for a little while before removing the bulb. That little bastard gets hot real quick...

Jon88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jon88GTSend a Private Message to Jon88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for thread ressurection and a dumb question. I just picked up a 1988 GT and wanted to keep the trunk...hood? open to cool it down quicker. I noticed the bulb gets insanely hot quick. I was thinking of just removing the bulb and keeping it out permanently. Stupid question, but being an older car I'm nervous in general about touching things until I learn more...but no chance it will be drawing any electricity without the bulb in right? I store the car a short distance away from my home and just trying to ease my anxiety. Once it's in the garage and stored for the week, everything is closed up but I want to cool down the engine a bit before it goes in.
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jon88GT:

Sorry for thread ressurection and a dumb question. I just picked up a 1988 GT and wanted to keep the trunk...hood? open to cool it down quicker. I noticed the bulb gets insanely hot quick. I was thinking of just removing the bulb and keeping it out permanently. Stupid question, but being an older car I'm nervous in general about touching things until I learn more...but no chance it will be drawing any electricity without the bulb in right?

No harm at all if you do that. Actually, the first thing I did after I bought my car was take that bulb out, and its been out ever since. I got tired of looking at the engine with that dumb bulb glowing the whole time and maybe draining my battery! So out it came...

Jon88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jon88GTSend a Private Message to Jon88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

No harm at all if you do that. Actually, the first thing I did after I bought my car was take that bulb out, and its been out ever since. I got tired of looking at the engine with that dumb bulb glowing the whole time and maybe draining my battery! So out it came...

I know it was a silly question, but I get anxious with stuff like that when unsupervised. I have an 87 Camaro Z28 that I also let cool off a bit before putting it away. There's minimal ventilation in storage and just puts my mind at ease. Thanks for the reply. My next question will hopefully be a bit more inclined 😂
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can remove the bulb...

86+ Trunk lamp and Dash Ajar is on w/ black switch on the latch.

Can just make something to push up the arm on the switch w/ or w/o closing the latch itself.
Spring Clamps 1" or larger works. You "clamp" the latch to pushing up/in the lever not "clamp" the switch.

OE trunk lamp for Fiero is some of the worse designs. A lot of better ways and won't blind you at night.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Eliredandblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EliredandblackSend a Private Message to EliredandblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am pretty sure that even with a big clamp on the switch, at some point my old brain would tell my arm to close the trunk, OUCH. Since I like electronics, I found a cheap Chinese Timer module on eBay. I think it was a couple of bucks, and took three weeks to get to me. The unit is smaller than the plastic light housing, I programmed the timer for a few minutes and then put the device in a large piece of electrical shrink tubing, and inserted it in the hole. Now my trunk light comes on for a few minutes and then will turn it self off. Most of the newer cars have timers that turn lights off after a specific period of time. Let me know if you would like to know the timer that I purchased.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock