Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  LZ4 - LZE 3500 or LZ9 3900 has someone done this swap on any car?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
LZ4 - LZE 3500 or LZ9 3900 has someone done this swap on any car? by gtxbullet
Started on: 08-23-2012 03:52 PM
Replies: 18 (4048 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 12-01-2013 06:46 PM
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know the LZE isn't an LX9. but essencially it is. except for the variable cam timing.

TOO ADD: I'm sticking with a 5-speed 282 which will get REBUILT if I can't find a NEW F23

my question is...I found an 8,000 mile 3.5L 3500 LZE Flex Fuel engine out of a 2007 Impala (224 HP and 220 torque)
which is 10% higher than the LX9 3500.

has anyone completed this sort of swap that has a drive-by-wire, and variable cam timing??

I'd love to literally just buy an engine and have Phonedawgz make a harness and Sinister do the PCM so it goes together nice a smoothly.
instead of piecing things together into a hodge-podge of parts from a bunch of engines and then guess at everything.

please only respond if you have done this swap or worked with it. (Or have actual experience with newer programming)

------------------
F.I.E.R.O. - Fantastically Imaginative Engineering Racing Object

I'm here to Help, just ask

www.fquick.com/GTXBULLET
Tech/Mechanic (Restorations, Modifications, and Maintenence)
1988 FIERO 3.4L Getrag Base Coupe (the show car ;-) )
1984 INDY Automatic ALL OPTIONS
Size 13 Feet with Cracking Ankles and Tired Knees

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have a LX9 in mine, running on a 98OBD2 ECU, customed wired, programed by sinister, runs pretty damned good if i say so myself... i just havent fully finished it yet,,,,

from my understanding, the newer pcm's havent been cracked, and you cant use the VVT, you need to "lock" it into place...

as far as piecing....

youll need a cable throttlebody... youll need a 3400 crank pully(has 24x pickup under it for the SFI) and sensor, and a 7x pickup wheel and sensor for the ignition timing...
youll also need a flywheel from a 88 fiero (or any 3.1 FWD car)

if you want to keep the fuel rail on the 3500, youll need a fuel pressure regularor to mount on the firewall.

and ofcourse youll need exhaust done..

youll also need a coolant temp sensor from a vendor i can get for u if you want to keep the gaurge, knock sensor from a 3400 engine, and possibly a cam sensor (not sure if that one will be compatible)

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/100133.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/118019-4.html

i had a good bit of "wonder if i can do this" at the begining becuase there wasnt much info on the newer 60degree's then... alot better info avail now, and my "Take 2" went alot faster and nicer... lol

[This message has been edited by hookdonspeed (edited 08-23-2012).]

blander66

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swapped a 3.9L into a prototype saturn vue with a 2 mode transaxle and built the entire harness for the car.
If you are going to run the factory ECM that will solve a lot of issue. Thoese ECM's are supported by HP Tuners so getting it tuned should not be a problem. With the stock ecm the VVT operation should not be much of a issue

The fuel system on that engine will be of the returnless type which can easily be sloved by using a fuel filter/regulator from a 2001 corvette
You most likley will have to fab up some stuff for the drive by wire pedal, I have not looked into what it takes to run one in a fiero, I did how ever swap my k5 blazer over to drive by wire and it was a pretty easy swap.

If you decide to go with a older style PCM and run 3400 stuff keeping the VVT will be hard if not impossable

[This message has been edited by blander66 (edited 08-23-2012).]

gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah if I'm not keeping the drive by wire and variable valve timing I'll just hold out for the correct lx9 3500 v 6

like I had originally planned.

My back up plan is a 3800sc. I would prefer 863 me sick as they don't win a lot and a sound so much better. and vibrate less.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm gonna talk with ryan at sinister about to drive by wire and variable valve timing.
If it will end up eating into my sanity I'll just use the easy swap and deal with a loud obnoxious whine behind my head...lol
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought the LZ4/LZE was almost identical to the LZ9 (except for the optional variable intake manifold and displacement), which both are quite a bit different than the LX9?
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

I thought the LZ4/LZE was almost identical to the LZ9 (except for the optional variable intake manifold and displacement), which both are quite a bit different than the LX9?

The LX9 is basically a 3400 with a drive-by-wire throttlebody.

I was told to look into the 3900 because the 3500 programming for a 3500 manual is next to impossible with the variable valve timing and the drive by wire. however the 3900 was offered with the manual transmission in the g6.

Now after looking into the cost of a 3900 I'm going to hope for an lx 9 that I can just do a throttle body injector set up swap on.
If all else fails Ill just do a 3800SC swap for simplicity.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtxbullet:

The LX9 is basically a 3400 with a drive-by-wire throttlebody.

I was told to look into the 3900 because the 3500 programming for a 3500 manual is next to impossible with the variable valve timing and the drive by wire. however the 3900 was offered with the manual transmission in the g6.

Now after looking into the cost of a 3900 I'm going to hope for an lx 9 that I can just do a throttle body injector set up swap on.
If all else fails Ill just do a 3800SC swap for simplicity.

you're forgetting that the LX9 heads flow WAY better then the 3400 heads. I'm in the process of an LX9 F23 swap (turbo)

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

there's also a 60* owner's group I started on 60degreeV6.com (see sig).

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Search screen name joshua riedl , he has a 3900 swap in his choptop. He lives in the Watertown area I believe.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the heads on the later 3500 are also different than the LX9 heads.
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

you're forgetting that the LX9 heads flow WAY better then the 3400 heads. I'm in the process of an LX9 F23 swap (turbo)

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

there's also a 60* owner's group I started on 60degreeV6.com (see sig).

I mean the most noticeable.

Be sure you have the forged crank

Are you going
to cryo the f23? Or drive carefully.

Ill check into the 3900 swap guy. thanks for the info!
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mine does have the forged crank. The trans was $125, if it breaks, it breaks, I'll get another and go from there. I'm shooting for 450 RWHP.
PFF
System Bot
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

mine does have the forged crank. The trans was $125, if it breaks, it breaks, I'll get another and go from there. I'm shooting for 450 RWHP.

450 with a turbo shouldnt be too hard.
Especially if you have the heads and intakes fully ported.

Id love to hear about your progress.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm figuring 450 should be somewhere around 16 psi.

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

joshua riedl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine's obd1 so I can't help much.
KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/084992.html

I believe this is the most stock 3900 swap out there.

[This message has been edited by KaijuSenso (edited 08-24-2012).]

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep it active.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3900 ECM can be reprogrammed so doing this swap with the stock ECM/TCM and retaining the fly by wire is not that hard now. Done one so far using an auto but you should be ok with a manual tranny if you use the 2006 G6 GTP ECM from a manual car

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

FieroNate

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroNateClick Here to visit FieroNate's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroNateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm currently doing an LZ 3500 swap in prep for a built up 3900 with total custom parts. I'm using the E38 ECU, drive by wire and variable valve timing paired up to an F40 in an 87GT.

Right now I'm fabbing equal length headers and about to start on the wiring. If you want headers and wiring let me know. I have all the data for the header flanges, I have the mockups for my exhaust system done and could make a second set of headers. I also have the motor mounts done as well as engine mounts for the F40.

Since I have two engines I planned on making two complete harnesses so I could get the 3900 dynode. It wouldn't be too bad to make another harness.

Let me know what you need I'll try to help if I can.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DBW is a piece of cake - just need to run about 6 wires between the pedal and ECM. I prefer to make a flat plate so you can mount the DBW pedal assy to the fiero mounting point. The important thing is to match the pedal with the ecm you are using (mine is from a 2007 W-body and fits perfect).

Since you are running a manual transmission, it would be best to stick with an engine and ecm from a manual transmission application. You can use a manual with the auto calibration (I am with my LS4/F40 combo), but will likely need to wire in the TCM as the VSS goes to the TCM, then through the CAN/BUS line to the ECM. Without the TCM you would need to find a way for the VSS to go directly to the ECM and the ECM recognize the signal. The E67 has a direct VSS input in some calibrations (the E38 probably does too), but I never checked to see if those pins would work with the LS4 calibration.

VVT is likely setup like DoD in the later ecms (E38/E67) where you will likely need the BCM wired up and functioning (as well as the TCM) to enable that feature.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock