What happened to AC Delco? by lordbg0205
Started on: 08-04-2012 05:25 PM
Replies: 42 (4043 views)
Last post by: dobey on 01-02-2015 09:48 PM
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i converted my 87 GT's oil pressure unit from the fatty to the skinny one per Ogre, thanks. It worked great for 9 days, no more bouncing needle, then on my commute to work the gauge just went all the way to high, i knew what had happened. I jumpered the center to ground to double check my soldering connections and unplugged it with power, no wiring or gauge issues, its all the sending unit. Anyway its a rockauto part and an AC Delco, what gives, any suggestions guys on what I should replace this with?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordbg0205:

So i converted my 87 GT's oil pressure unit from the fatty to the skinny one per Ogre, thanks. It worked great for 9 days, no more bouncing needle, then on my commute to work the gauge just went all the way to high, i knew what had happened. I jumpered the center to ground to double check my soldering connections and unplugged it with power, no wiring or gauge issues, its all the sending unit. Anyway its a rockauto part and an AC Delco, what gives, any suggestions guys on what I should replace this with?

AC Delco is made in China just like most other auto parts these days. I bought a fuel pump for my truck that was AC Delco and when it got here is was made in China...
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's not good, I just got my 88-style AC Delco oil pressure sending unit and connector from Rock Auto...
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-04-2012 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not all ac delco..
and ac delco isn't part of g.m. and hasn't been for a while.. g.m. sold off that and delphi..
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Todays AC Delco is no longer a manufacturer but a repackager. All of their parts are sent out for bids to global manufacturers, purchased on contract and put in a box with the AC Delco logo on it. Same with Bosch although Bosch is reportedly made in their own factories in South America and in Communist China. Unless you can identify the manufacturer, you never know what you are getting in an AC Delco box these days. The fuel pumps are in fact cheap Chinese junk. Buy an EP-381 on eBay and yes its Chinese. The real AC Delco is no more. Try to find new old stock AC Delco parts if you want quality. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-04-2012).]

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or Delphi, or Denso. Denso in particular seems to be reliably good.

I bought one of those oil sending units and they are the same as what you'd get buying a cheap Airtex part, even says "made in Taiwan" on the bottom in the same font.
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
even raybestos is made in mexico or atleast the brake are used to work for a company that bought them direct they say usa on the master but i asked the boss and he said he went down to the mexican plant and they assemble the whole unit start to finish down there something about the company being based in the usa allows them to put made in usa on items regardless if they are made here or somewhere in the four winds
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll tell you what happened! Most everyone will buy the cheapest part no matter where it's made, & most everyone quit demanding parts made in USA. So we borrow billions - no make that TRILLIONS - of $$$ from china & give it to companies that are moving their factories over there so we can no longer keep anything working & waste millions of production hours dealing with CRAP parts.
If we don't start DEMANDING that things are made here, there is no hope for the future of this country!
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

China scorecard:
1) Bolts not up to grade. The *aircraft* industry had several failures because they were marked a higher grade than they were. They no longer use imported bolts.
2) Poison pet food.
3) Poison pet food - again.
4) Tires that blow out.
5) Poison toothpaste. Contains the same toxic that's found in anti-freeze.
6) More poison toothpaste. Import of toothpaste was banned from china so they combined it with toothbrushes so that it could be imported as "toothbrushes", to get rid of the poison toothpaste!
7) Toys made of lead. Imported by Mattel.
8) Toys with lead paint & small magnets that can kill children if swallowed. Imported by Fisher Price.
9) Poison pet food - the third time.
10) Poison children's paint sets - sold at Toys R Us.
11) Bugs in candy bars.
12) More (nearly a million recalled) Mattel toys with lead paint.
13) Flip-Flops at wallmart that cause a rash.
14) 1 million baby cribs recalled after 3 children die.
15) About 1.5 million Thomas the tank engine toys.
16) "Play Yards" with strings that strangle children.
17) Happy Giddy Garden toys that - you guessed it - contain lead.
18) Purple Halloween pails from Dollar Stores that contain lead.
19) Disney Winnie the Pooh dolls that contain lead.
20) Bead kits that contain lead.
21) 500,000 KB toys wooden blocks that contain lead.
22) Baby Einstien toys that contain lead.
23) "Discover & Play" blocks that contain lead.
24) 1.5 MILLION Cub Scouts "Totem" badges that contain lead.
25) Levels that are NOT LEVEL! Try building a house with that!!!
26) Recall of certain children's items due to a lead exposure risk or entrapment/suffocation/choking hazard. The products include Halloween-themed baskets, children's jewelry, shaving paint brushes, pencil pouches, Boppy pillow slipcovers, flashing pacifiers, and storage racks with canvas totes.
27) COUNTERFEIT smoke detectors! Wonder how many folks have BURNED TO DEATH because of them?
28) You can add chain block that give while lifting a Fiero too. Lucky i wasn't under. Capacity was 2 tons, guy at the store told me that it wasn't meant to lift car. Two tons of car or two tons of S--- what's the difference I answered him. Thing was brand new. - Robert 2 on PFF
29) Toxic lead replaced by even more toxic cadmium in children's toys, trinkets.
30) Needed some lug nuts for mag wheels & couldn't find any that fit. we started checking the sizes & the lug bolts with the SAME PART # in the SAME BOX (made by Dorman in china) had sleeves that were 17.34 MM, 17.24 MM, & 17.18 MM!
31) Children's car seats made with CHLORINE & LEAD.
32) Arsenic in Chinese apple juice.
33) My niece had a problem with her taillights blowing all the time. Took it to the dealership. Know what they told her? "Yeah it's those chinease bulbs - just buy a box of them & keep them in your glovebox". WTF? Why not just buy QUALITY bulbs & quit buying china CRAP???
**) Hell there's so many on the news every night I can't write them down fast enough! FAR more than I've listed here.

I don't know how long it's going to take for everyone to realize that ALL the CRAP we're getting from china is COSTING US MORE IN LOST PRODUCTION TIME THAN THE LOW PRICES ARE SAVING US!!!! AND you're supporting a COMMUNIST REGIME that has the world's WORST human rights record & is BUILDING THEIR WAR MACHINE with OUR MONEY! AND you're killing OUR ECONOMY when you don't buy QUALITY made in the U.S. products.
Com'on everybody - WAKE UP!
Made in China: NOT gonna' buy ya'.
Comment from "SCCA Fiero": What's so bad about China? The current dictator is responsible for more deaths than Hitler and Stalin... combined! I guess genocide is cool. But at least they don't censor the internet, and China has freedom of the press... err, wait a minute. I might have my facts mixed up. But I'm almost positive China is not a Communist country, and China has excellent retirement and worker's comp. I'm just glad U.S. jobs are not going to China and the US does not owe China billions of dollars.
The US is going down the toilet and nobody cares because they can buy cheap crap that costs 1/2 of a U.S. made equivalent, but lasts 1/5 as long.

crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to NAPA for a part the other day, the counter guy asked if I wanted premium or standard, and I asked him to pull both so we could take a look at the parts.
When we opened the boxes, the parts were identical. The casting numbers and plastic colors and electrical contacts were all the same. They both had labels and those were identical as well...
The only difference was the box and guarantee.
I bought the standard one. And I asked for my 10% discount too. You do have a NAPA card, right?
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The NAPA standard and premium lines are usually different and are usually made by different vendors...I think in the case of the oil pressure sender, there's only one manufacturer left for the old-style and thus all of the brands that sell them are selling the exact same part.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I was told by my local parts store guy is the difference between the standard and premium is quality control. Parts that fail the QC on the 'premium' line will pass the standard test. Although the parts are built the same, they will not ship the ones with slight defects as premium. If you buy the standard part you are more likely to get a part that has to be returned right out of the box, or will not last as long as the premium part. If it's something that can be easily re&re'd, might as well take your chances with the standard (IMHO). On an ignition coil the price was $30 vs. $80, so you could buy two standard and keep one as a spare, and still have an extra $20 in your jeans. Something like a pickup coil that requires removing the distributor, I'd probably go with the premium.
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

I'll tell you what happened! Most everyone will buy the cheapest part no matter where it's made, & most everyone quit demanding parts made in USA. So we borrow billions - no make that TRILLIONS - of $$$ from china & give it to companies that are moving their factories over there so we can no longer keep anything working & waste millions of production hours dealing with CRAP parts.
If we don't start DEMANDING that things are made here, there is no hope for the future of this country!
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

China scorecard:
1) Bolts not up to grade. The *aircraft* industry had several failures because they were marked a higher grade than they were. They no longer use imported bolts.
2) Poison pet food.
3) Poison pet food - again.
4) Tires that blow out.
5) Poison toothpaste. Contains the same toxic that's found in anti-freeze.
6) More poison toothpaste. Import of toothpaste was banned from china so they combined it with toothbrushes so that it could be imported as "toothbrushes", to get rid of the poison toothpaste!
7) Toys made of lead. Imported by Mattel.
8) Toys with lead paint & small magnets that can kill children if swallowed. Imported by Fisher Price.
9) Poison pet food - the third time.
10) Poison children's paint sets - sold at Toys R Us.
11) Bugs in candy bars.
12) More (nearly a million recalled) Mattel toys with lead paint.
13) Flip-Flops at wallmart that cause a rash.
14) 1 million baby cribs recalled after 3 children die.
15) About 1.5 million Thomas the tank engine toys.
16) "Play Yards" with strings that strangle children.
17) Happy Giddy Garden toys that - you guessed it - contain lead.
18) Purple Halloween pails from Dollar Stores that contain lead.
19) Disney Winnie the Pooh dolls that contain lead.
20) Bead kits that contain lead.
21) 500,000 KB toys wooden blocks that contain lead.
22) Baby Einstien toys that contain lead.
23) "Discover & Play" blocks that contain lead.
24) 1.5 MILLION Cub Scouts "Totem" badges that contain lead.
25) Levels that are NOT LEVEL! Try building a house with that!!!
26) Recall of certain children's items due to a lead exposure risk or entrapment/suffocation/choking hazard. The products include Halloween-themed baskets, children's jewelry, shaving paint brushes, pencil pouches, Boppy pillow slipcovers, flashing pacifiers, and storage racks with canvas totes.
27) COUNTERFEIT smoke detectors! Wonder how many folks have BURNED TO DEATH because of them?
28) You can add chain block that give while lifting a Fiero too. Lucky i wasn't under. Capacity was 2 tons, guy at the store told me that it wasn't meant to lift car. Two tons of car or two tons of S--- what's the difference I answered him. Thing was brand new. - Robert 2 on PFF
29) Toxic lead replaced by even more toxic cadmium in children's toys, trinkets.
30) Needed some lug nuts for mag wheels & couldn't find any that fit. we started checking the sizes & the lug bolts with the SAME PART # in the SAME BOX (made by Dorman in china) had sleeves that were 17.34 MM, 17.24 MM, & 17.18 MM!
31) Children's car seats made with CHLORINE & LEAD.
32) Arsenic in Chinese apple juice.
33) My niece had a problem with her taillights blowing all the time. Took it to the dealership. Know what they told her? "Yeah it's those chinease bulbs - just buy a box of them & keep them in your glovebox". WTF? Why not just buy QUALITY bulbs & quit buying china CRAP???
**) Hell there's so many on the news every night I can't write them down fast enough! FAR more than I've listed here.

I don't know how long it's going to take for everyone to realize that ALL the CRAP we're getting from china is COSTING US MORE IN LOST PRODUCTION TIME THAN THE LOW PRICES ARE SAVING US!!!! AND you're supporting a COMMUNIST REGIME that has the world's WORST human rights record & is BUILDING THEIR WAR MACHINE with OUR MONEY! AND you're killing OUR ECONOMY when you don't buy QUALITY made in the U.S. products.
Com'on everybody - WAKE UP!
Made in China: NOT gonna' buy ya'.
Comment from "SCCA Fiero": What's so bad about China? The current dictator is responsible for more deaths than Hitler and Stalin... combined! I guess genocide is cool. But at least they don't censor the internet, and China has freedom of the press... err, wait a minute. I might have my facts mixed up. But I'm almost positive China is not a Communist country, and China has excellent retirement and worker's comp. I'm just glad U.S. jobs are not going to China and the US does not owe China billions of dollars.
The US is going down the toilet and nobody cares because they can buy cheap crap that costs 1/2 of a U.S. made equivalent, but lasts 1/5 as long.

I couldn't of said it better myself !!

gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its sad that we have to worry about AMERICAN companies selling cheap import junk... corporations nowadays are so greedy...more about making a quick buck than being TRUE americans and keeping american companies and parts IN america. Our country is full of sellouts, lawyers, politicians, and illegal immigrants.

I mean if our own government signs are being posted in spanish in south florida where the hell do you think this country is growing?

We have lost our pride and its sad if you ask me... Americas industrial powerhouse is now a bunch of empty broken down factories... i mean muncie plant is out of business too? An 80 year old company torn away and gone forever..

pathetic
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
" What's so bad about China? The current dictator is responsible for more deaths than Hitler and Stalin... combined!"

No. I will agree with the general post, however.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2012 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gmctyphoon1992:
pathetic

Yes this thread is. If you all want to argue political differences or your feelings about one country or another, Totally O/T is for that. There is nothing technical about it.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This has some actual reference to "Technical"........Because the basic fact is, anything made in China is going to fail early.....We all need to know that so we can avoid crappy parts, and we need to know how to buy Quality parts. Sadly, since every company in the US must be Public, they are forced to care only for their stock value, and so they start cutting costs, by shipping jobs & manufacturing overseas, by cutting quality(Look at Fram- used to be "The name" in filters, then Allied Sig' bought 'em, and management basically said,"We have the name, cut the quality and sell crap as long as possible on the name") and laying off anyone until the company finally colapses, then sell the name off and walk.....Not against the Stock market, but the system appears to be broken- It's killing US jobs and Businesses......and now it's affecting our ability to properly maintain our cars.....
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cvxjet

3625 posts
Member since May 2010
Also, I run into a lot of people that think the US Worker can't build quality, while believing that the Japanese our "Born" able to generate quality, part of their society.....B.....S.......Anyone who owns a Fiero should know who taught the Japanese quality control.......Deming, from Illinois.....Yes, an AMERICAN taught them QC....and now all cars built by US companies use forms of his TQM process......
tucsonsean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tucsonseanSend a Private Message to tucsonseanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Makes me want to pack my multi-meter with me every time I shop for parts, to test 'em before I walk out the door.
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
Same with Bosch although Bosch is reportedly made in their own factories in South America and in Communist China.

I can say with absolute certainty that you are completely wrong in your "assumption" about Bosch.
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Chinese don't have a culture of high quality but its absolutely not true that nothing from China is decent.

Most consumer electronics come from China and, for the most part, serve their purpose quite well. Consider that virtually all new computer components are made there - how often does your computer fail?

But either way this thread really doesn't belong in this forum anymore....point is that AC Delco farms their products out to other companies now, instead of actually being a manufacturer.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never buy AC Delco stuff because their just overpriced crap, unless theyre the only one available. Ill buy the cheap junk for 1/3 the price that lasts just as long and works as well.
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't get me wrong, some stuff from China is good, but in my experiance, 75% of it is just basic junk.
And, you get what you pay for. Its just now we are paying the same price and we are getting crap. That's not right.

If I'm going to buy suspension (tie-rods, ball joints, a real rack bushing) for my fiero the business is going to Rodney.

If I want control arm bushings, Moog is what to to get. Another supplier is TFS for bushings at a decent price.

It all depends what you want and how long your going to keep the car, product, item, etc.

If your doing a quality restoration and want hassle free for many years down the road, follow my advise.

Electrical parts is something to watch out for too.

A new from the factory GM altenator will be the best part you could by. A rebuilt will just be good, but the rebuilt parts and electical components
are probably not a good quality as the GM part. But you will be paying alot more for the GM altenator. Since the rebuilt altenator is still considered good,
companies know that your used car will probably fail or be sold to another owner down the road of the cars life. Yes, they give a 1 or 2 year garrantee, but that's not the point. Realise you are paying alot less for a re-built altenator. Its all what YOU want in the end. I'm not affraid to pay for something, but I'm affraid to get crap for something that you pay good money for. There are some slizzy boonies out there. You just need to do some research.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Delphi, is owned by futaba corp. they make all the gm fuel managment systems now for GM
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2012 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

This has some actual reference to "Technical"........Because the basic fact is, anything made in China is going to fail early.....

No, that is an over-generalization that is complete B.S. There are thousands of things you use and rely on every day, which don't constantly fail. For instance, you probably wouldn't have been able to post your message to this forum without the millions of little electronic bits made in China between you and everyone else, which aren't constantly failing.

If you want to make a technical thread about something, then be specific. A bunch of people bitching about China, communism, and whatever other political inclinations they decided to moan about, is not a technical thread.
I FAR I

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gmctyphoon1992:

Its sad that we have to worry about AMERICAN companies selling cheap import junk... corporations nowadays are so greedy...more about making a quick buck than being TRUE americans and keeping american companies and parts IN america. Our country is full of sellouts, lawyers, politicians, and illegal immigrants.

I mean if our own government signs are being posted in spanish in south florida where the hell do you think this country is growing?

We have lost our pride and its sad if you ask me... Americas industrial powerhouse is now a bunch of empty broken down factories... i mean muncie plant is out of business too? An 80 year old company torn away and gone forever..

pathetic

I think you will find this very interesting. I know I did. It's called "The American Dream" and I hope many others can learn from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGk5ioEXlIM

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by I FAR I (edited 08-05-2012).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2012 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How sad that it has taken so long for the anvil to fall on your hardened gear heads,with most of the libs still in a fog..
unfortunately its to late now,YES part quality & manufacture belong in tech,brakes & other parts are failing.The people have failed America & you are watching the destruction of a great nation,the ruin of its tool industry,the move off shore of the parts industry,,the men of america fought hard,to destroy America with the lowest price,I purchase American, untill the bitter end,when Stanley tool started the china move,I saw the funnel speed increase,,The Sub prime home loan fiasco finished us off,,not even Romney can save us,,I took a job doing political phone survey & promotion a week ago,the lib hand out mentality,& Political correctness??? its much worse than I thought,
No way the present sons of Han can compare with commie Stalin,socialist lefty Hitler,or red MAO they killed MILLIONS,these greedy marxist ,democrats & chinese general midgets ,consider the american man a political moron & a financial idiot, the chinese overrate us !! use care when you purchase brake parts ,always install top quality brakes on a FIERO,most FIERO,s stop poorly because cheapo parts were installed.
you have met the enemy & it is YOU.

bad enough we destroyed America,, but also my favorite past times of smoking non filter camels ,extra heavy drinking ,whoring & ploting revenge against liberal marxist democrats are now lost to me
because 0f age

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 08-06-2012).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats why alot of the time rebuilt is better than new, rebuilt is rebuilt OEM parts, new is almost always from china. I remember when all the crap in the world used to say "made in taiwan" now it says "made in china" Since taiwan is now china it's all crap. Now it's funny places will say "my stuff's not made in china it's made in taiwan"

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quality control in China:

Worker: Boss we have a whole bunch of these parts that don't meet spec? What shall we do?

Supervisor: You know what to do.

Worker: Whats that?

Supervisor: Just ship it. The Americans buy on price and won't know the difference plus we already got paid so they are S.O.L.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just like US made stuff, there are good and bad from China. I get aftermarket body parts from LKQ. Most of them fit BETTER than an OEM part. While most US or German tools are best quality, for basic work Chinese work just fine. Ive had stubborn bolts you cant grab good with Chinese, but US made work great. Ive got Chinese air wrenches that are 20 years old, used daily and work just fine. Ive got 20 year old Chinese paint guns that also work fine. A lot depends on what I want. All your cameras, DVD players, TVs are made in Asia these days. Chrysler Hemi and Viper engines come from Mexico. You just have to get used to stuff coming from everywhere. Part of the problem is US parts are so expensive...mainly because US workers expect to make $25 @ hour soldering circuit boards. A kid in China can do the same thing for $1 @ day. I get people in here right after school in the spring looking for jobs. They have no training and no experience and want $20@ hour to start. My profit as the owner is probably about that after 40 years. They dont realize you have to start at the bottom of the ladder at usually minimum wage. Of course they dont want to do that, $200 @ week wont let them buy that brand new Camaro convertible they want.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

ac delco isn't part of g.m. and hasn't been for a while.. g.m. sold off that and delphi..

There must still be a connection of some sort. I contacted ACDelco to investigate the purchase of a possibly fake ACDelco fuel pump, and it was General Motors Global Security which responded. Details can be seen Here.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Just like US made stuff, there are good and bad from China. I get aftermarket body parts from LKQ. Most of them fit BETTER than an OEM part. While most US or German tools are best quality, for basic work Chinese work just fine. Ive had stubborn bolts you cant grab good with Chinese, but US made work great. Ive got Chinese air wrenches that are 20 years old, used daily and work just fine. Ive got 20 year old Chinese paint guns that also work fine. A lot depends on what I want. All your cameras, DVD players, TVs are made in Asia these days. Chrysler Hemi and Viper engines come from Mexico. You just have to get used to stuff coming from everywhere. Part of the problem is US parts are so expensive...mainly because US workers expect to make $25 @ hour soldering circuit boards. A kid in China can do the same thing for $1 @ day. I get people in here right after school in the spring looking for jobs. They have no training and no experience and want $20@ hour to start. My profit as the owner is probably about that after 40 years. They dont realize you have to start at the bottom of the ladder at usually minimum wage. Of course they dont want to do that, $200 @ week wont let them buy that brand new Camaro convertible they want.

American workers just need to be willing to take $2 a day as a wage- sure you starve, but hey, you can't have everything...I'm willing to spend a little more because I value my neighbors, but some people are willing to sell out the future of this country......and their children....Maybe the chinese will be willing to help out your children.....But I doubt it........Why is it alright for foreign countries to protect their companies, but we don't mind watching all US companies go under.....Please understand also, I am not racist....There are plenty of American citizens of Chinese extraction....Also, don't be so sure of the life expectancy of the US.....We have 236 years, while the Chinese have 4000 years.......

PFF
System Bot
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

The NAPA standard and premium lines are usually different and are usually made by different vendors...I think in the case of the oil pressure sender, there's only one manufacturer left for the old-style and thus all of the brands that sell them are selling the exact same part.

I love my napa store, won't go anywhere else. They all know what there talking about and can point me a in a good direct and don't sell me the wrong garbage. As for Advanced auto, they couldn't even speak English to me.
Fierology

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember Chris Farley's film 'Tommy Boy'? Tommy Callahan is the rich fellow whose father runs a high-quality american-made auto parts outfit. When his dad dies, he has to try to save the company from Mr. Zalinski, a quick-talking businessman who buys companies and rapes the names by putting his cheap parts in their premium boxes --> quick money. Here's what he says, exactly what this sort of auto parts salesman would say in real life when he's not in view of the public:

"Son, you gotta look at it from my point of view. Callahan's a premium name. That's what i'm buying. I can make the parts in one of my factories, put 'em in a Callahan box and sell 'em in my stores, at a premium price. Why keep your factory going when all i want is the god****ed box?"

We've settled that lots of car parts are cheaply made. Alright. But what companies still make quality products? American made or not, it's important that we are able to buy quality parts to keep our cars running. For instance, I rebuilt all my suspension ~30k miles ago, so my ball-joints should still be good, right? Wrong. My car was on a lift a few months ago, and a suspension shakedown indicated that some of my balljoints are shot. [u]Where can we still find good quality parts? Which companies?[/u]

-Michael
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All China Delco AKA AC Delco ---- Regretfully I have had a number of 'straight out of the box defects' especially with electronics. Personally I've had great success with the Standard Motor Products red box items and when I can find the item in the 'better than OE' Blue Streak line by Standard.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't read through all the post and the politics, so forgive me if the solution has been found, but: Referring to the original post and the problem, It's entirely possible that water may have gotten into the top of the sending unit. Not into the unit itself because it's sealed, but into the cavity where the harness plugs. It will short the terminals. That's what happened with my first conversion to the 88 style sending unit. Shield the top by using a length of 1 inch split wire loom long enough to bend over toward the upper intake. Turn the split toward the trunk side of the engine.

Another thing that works is to install a 90 degree fitting so that the sending unit lays on it's side, or pack the cavity full of dielectric grease before plugging in the harness.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Don't get me wrong, some stuff from China is good, but in my experiance, 75% of it is just basic junk.
And, you get what you pay for. Its just now we are paying the same price and we are getting crap. That's not right."

Well, You DON'T even "Get what ya pay for" anymore. Ya can pay a lot and Still get garbage. The last 2 items I bought were "advertised" as Original AC Delco parts, On the BOX said "Made in China", and On the PART, it said "made in Mexico" ! Some the parts are made in china and "assembled in mexico. It's all a crapshoot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not just us that are getting screwed, why do you think 2014 had a record number of auto recalls?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierology:
Remember Chris Farley's film 'Tommy Boy'? Tommy Callahan is the rich fellow whose father runs a high-quality american-made auto parts outfit. When his dad dies, he has to try to save the company from Mr. Zalinski, a quick-talking businessman who buys companies and rapes the names by putting his cheap parts in their premium boxes --> quick money.
We've settled that lots of car parts are cheaply made. Alright. But what companies still make quality products? American made or not, it's important that we are able to buy quality parts to keep our cars running. For instance, I rebuilt all my suspension ~30k miles ago, so my ball-joints should still be good, right? Wrong. My car was on a lift a few months ago, and a suspension shakedown indicated that some of my balljoints are shot. Where can we still find good quality parts? Which companies?

Many old brand are like this... They bought out the old Co or Old Co licensed the trademark to many. Example: Old Bell & Howell is dead and now B+H license thru http://bluestaralliance.com/bell-and-howell/ to anyone that pays for B+H name.

You BJ problem... If your car suspension is lowered and/or you're racing then you will have problem in most cases no matter how good the parts are when installed. MOST parts will not last long doing either/both. Like saying most/all 88 front hubs suck then says their racing...
Is why most warranties are voided when using commercial/race vehicles.
Fierology

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

You BJ problem... If your car suspension is lowered and/or you're racing then you will have problem in most cases no matter how good the parts are when installed. MOST parts will not last long doing either/both. Like saying most/all 88 front hubs suck then says their racing...
Is why most warranties are voided when using commercial/race vehicles.

Yeah, no racing for me (that'd be fun to do someday!) Just interstate & commuting and trying to avoid potholes. I do take some corners hard, maybe that would be enough to wear them out and I'm placing the blame in the wrong place. Either way, the more years of auto repair I have, the more I see how crucial it is to have good quality parts, and the more I search for them, the more I see that it's often hard to find.

What about racing quality? I'm sure it would be more expensive, but, if anyone would demand top quality, I would think it would be professional racers.

-Michael

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierology:
What about racing quality? I'm sure it would be more expensive, but, if anyone would demand top quality, I would think it would be professional racers.

Which parts? Many parts built for racing are not designed for longevity. They're designed to be replaced after N passes down the 1/4 mile, or N laps around a track, or similar. They are built to be strong and allow the car to get the most power to the ground in the most efficient manner, but they tend to wear much faster.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock