Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Can something be done to my horn switch? Mod it? New turn/hazard switch?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can something be done to my horn switch? Mod it? New turn/hazard switch? by cebix
Started on: 08-02-2012 04:42 PM
Replies: 5 (830 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 05-06-2015 10:03 AM
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2012 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My horn never worked and I finally got around to check what's going on. From what I've seen on other threads in the red circle (first photo) should be a switch but nothing's there. There is a black wire inside hanging loose and if I ground it the horns sound. Great, so they work fine but how to wire it to my steering wheel? Also the cancelling cam looks fishy, it's also cracked but I guess I can glue it. I guess my wheel isn't the original one that should be on the car? It's an '85 bumperpad base coupe, originally a V6 but swapped to the 2.5 god knows when and by whom. Here are the pictures:

Can anything be done to it or should I just search for a new turn switch? Keep in mind I live in Poland and getting a new one will be a pain for me that's why I'm posting this thread and hope there is a way around it. Thanks in advance for any replies.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2012 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Junk Yards might has missing/damage pieces.

GM uses many things across car lines.
Try to get same kind of column... tilt, non-tilt. etc. That might or might not affect wiring length, wire length switch to plug... (auto vs manual trans doesn't mater here.)

Horn ring is easier... those parts doesn't care what column is on.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2012 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It appears this may have already been modified in an attempt to fix the horn - I've never seen the wire attached to the horn button before. There is a tube that should be part of the horn connection that is broken off your horn ring/cancel cam:

Just before the final assembly you would put a spring and then the plunger pin into the tube

If there are no junkyards close by, I would think that you would be able to get the parts shipped to you fairly cheap, they are small and light, and as mentioned above, they were used in lots of different columns so should be quite plentiful.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 08-03-2012).]

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. Looks like that's the only way to go.
jwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwalkerSend a Private Message to jwalkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm so thankful I found this post. The pics helped me realize I had the pin in backwards.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jwalker:

I'm so thankful I found this post. The pics helped me realize I had the pin in backwards.

Sorry couldn't help myself. you not knowing how it went was not your fault

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock