GT effects removal on the drivers side by Fiero Owner Wannabe
Started on: 07-13-2012 10:56 PM
Replies: 12 (665 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 01-05-2014 02:21 PM
Fiero Owner Wannabe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero Owner WannabeClick Here to visit Fiero Owner Wannabe's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero Owner WannabeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am removing the GT ground effects on the drivers side. I have removed the 3 cover plates and the 3 rivets under the door. I have removed the two end screws, and the 7 plastic rivets. The ground effects will come loose from the front and swings clear. They seem to be attached to the ground effects above them on the rear fender some how.
Any one have tips or tricks to remove this plastic piece, it has to be something simple Im missing and I really feel a Homer Simpson moment coming.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are three tabs that lock the upper and lower together. There was one tab locking the lower to the upper on the front fender (if I remember correctly).

Fiero Owner Wannabe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2012 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero Owner WannabeClick Here to visit Fiero Owner Wannabe's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero Owner WannabeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the picture. Whats the best way to separate them? Any help would be appreciated.
Fiero Owner Wannabe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2012 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero Owner WannabeClick Here to visit Fiero Owner Wannabe's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero Owner WannabeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Owner Wannabe

37 posts
Member since Jun 2012
Is there a tool that separates the tabs or do I need to push in a particular direction, this doesnt seem to want to come apart and I dont want to break them.
turbo86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!

I'm at this exact spot on my Fiero. How do I pull the drivers side ground effects off the rear panel?
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't you hate it when a thread ends like that? It's like a TV show ending with a cliff-hanger episode and then getting cancelled

I'm going to be there soon myself, so also will be watching
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A butter knife can be of a big help. Still takes a bit of maneuvering to get the tabs to release, but I found that a butter knife is thin enough and makes the job much easier.
turbo86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. Does the rear quarter panel have to be loosened? What are those 3 tabs attached to?

Another question, once I'm ready to put them back on, what replaces the rivets I drilled out?

Thanks! War Eagle!!!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store has the rocker panel kit. http://fierostore.com/Produ...1&d=308&p=1&lp=83026

You will need a special pop rivet gun to install the 3 rivets that go underneath the 3 cover plates. It needs a larger diameter than what you usually get at parts stores, and it will need a long thin nose. I have used well nuts with good success. You can often get them at Ace Hardware stores. Brand name is Au-Ve-Co. Just push them in, tighten the screw and it's done.

The nylon rivets shown on the above page can be used underneath. You'll also need a special pop rivet gun for those. Fastenal sells it, as does The Fiero Store.
http://fierostore.com/Produ...0&d=263&p=3&lp=50930

You will need more nylon rivets than are supplied because they tend to break before they're fully tightened. I've also found that putting a stainless steel washer on the back side will keep them from pulling through the body flange.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as I remember, those 3 Plastic Posts have a Flat round sheetmetal retainer pressed on. the only way I've seen to get them off is: with inner fender loose or off, so you can get in there, use a "PICK" with a hooked end to get it in between the slots in the metal Tab and bend the tabs Outward to let go of the plastic Post. anything else, you may end up breaking iff attachment points. Hope that helps
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A small flat blade screwdriver inserted into the slot and twisted will spring one of the fingers, then you can rotate the retainer to get into the next slot and do the same until enough of the fingers are sprung that it comes off. The hardest one is nearest the door.
PFF
System Bot
turbo86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Thanks for the replies and the link to FS. I've been Fiero-less for close to 10 years now, so it's coming back to me. I remember replacing rivets at one point.

I do have a thought (oh boy!) If I'm replacing the quarter panel as well as the GT ground effects from another car, should I just leave it be and take the effects and panel off as one piece and save me a headache?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you'll need to remove the rocker panel in order to remove some rivets underneath. Beyond that, you can leave the upper aero trim pieces on the front fender and the rear quarter.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock