Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anyone currently making the Corvette Tail light panel with the Oval Lights?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone currently making the Corvette Tail light panel with the Oval Lights? by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 07-12-2012 09:15 AM
Replies: 34 (3963 views)
Last post by: jmbishop on 08-16-2014 12:31 AM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A while back a forum member was making a nice GT tail light panel that used the oval Corvette tail lights. I always believed that this panel looked better than the one that used the round tail lights. I am looking to buy one but can no longer locate the seller. I beleve that they may have been made by a guy named Al Lindsay. Anyone know where I can get this light panel?
I found this picture in the archives:

Hope that the owner doesn't mind that I posted it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-12-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am thinking Space Coast Fieros had them.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Al Lindsay no longer sells these and the entire store is gone from the web. Contact these guys. They are at $250 with the lenses included.
http://www.suncoastfieros.info/fieroboys.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-12-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the lead but It appears that the website that shows these tail light panels, Fiero Boys/Daves Automotive , represents a very small company.There is no ordering info, no email contact and the phone is answered with a generic message. Not too comforting for a potential buyer. Does anyone here know Dave and did any business with him? Is this a reputable source?
Left message and waiting to hear back.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Thanks for the lead but It appears that the website that shows these tail light panels, Fiero Boys/Daves Automotive , represents a very small company.There is no ordering info, no email contact and the phone is answered with a generic message. Not too comforting for a potential buyer. Does anyone here know Dave and did any business with him? Is this a reputable source?
Left message and waiting to hear back.

Lee (larini74) on here lives in Florida and he would know. He was the one who originally posted their information.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have a set of BROKEN gt tail lenses,(For a "mold", it's REAL EASY to make a panel with whatever tail lights you want. just the cost of the fiberglass resin and mat. I made mine in about 6 hrs.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't head back from anyone at that number. Sounds like smoke rather than substance. Its a shame because thats one of the best looking designs that I've seen.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-13-2012).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gee, you could cut out the word Pontiac or anything else and insert some thing lexican and make it look stock-ish. I always wondered why people leave off the reverse lights though, isn't that illegal?
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reverse lights are in the rear fascia where the reflectors normally would be. Thats typically how the issue with the reverse lights is addressed.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Gee, you could cut out the word Pontiac or anything else and insert some thing lexican and make it look stock-ish. I always wondered why people leave off the reverse lights though, isn't that illegal?

Its my understanding that the decal on the panel was an add on by the owner. As for the B.U. lights Fierofreak84 is correct. They go in the spot that the refletors were at. This makes the install perfectly legal but first to find the guy or company that makes them. The earth seems to have swallowed him up.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you definately against making your own or would you rather buy a completed set? The reason I ask is Justin makes a very nice panel in the mall but it is a blank. You do the cutouts for whatever lights you want to use.
Member Gokart used his panel and made himself these:

Originally posted by Gokart:

I'm thrilled with the way it came out Not bad for an amatuer. I'm going to wait till next spring to attach it with winter right around the corner. I also test fit the panel and it's perfect. I'll take some more pics next spring when it's on.

Justin is selling the blanks for $185 shipped in the U.S
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/054051.html
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2012 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Are you definately against making your own or would you rather buy a completed set? The reason I ask is Justin makes a very nice panel in the mall but it is a blank. You do the cutouts for whatever lights you want to use.
Member Gokart used his panel and made himself these:

Justin is selling the blanks for $185 shipped in the U.S
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/054051.html

The above tail light panels looks good but the recessed appearance of the lights on the panel that I posted here look far better to me. You can't get that look with a black panel without a significant and tedious amount of work to put the flanges on there.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.

Dennis, from looking around on the net it appears Al Lindsay had a heart attack sometime in 2010 and not only sold off his custom Fiero possessions but also stopped making parts. I found that info on Central FL Fieros' forum. I'm afraid the only way you're going to get the panel you want is to find a used one if you can't get one from the store IMSA GT mentioned above.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 07-15-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got through to Uncle Daves Automotive repair. They apparently are still making these panels (to order) but for such a beautiful product they are apparently doing a very poor job of marketing . It is possible that this operation acquired the molds if it fact Al Lindsay was the guy making them. They said that when their secretary arrives tomorow morning they will give me a call and take my order.We'll see.
If anyone else wants one of these panels, I suggest placing their order now. Uncle Daves sounds like a pretty small operation in Plant City Florida and who knows how long availability will be there.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-17-2012).]

IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Finally got through to Uncle Daves Automotive repair. They apparently are still making these panels (to order) but for such a beautiful product they are apparently doing a very poor job of marketing . It is possible that this operation acquired the molds if it fact Al Lindsay was the guy making them. They said that when their secretary arrives tomorow morning they will give me a call and take my order.We'll see.
If anyone else wants one of these panels, I suggest placing their order now. Uncle Daves sounds like a pretty small operation in Plant City Florida and who knows how long availability will be there.

Let us know what the price is Dennis.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Al Linsey, who originally built those GT tail light assemblies had a stroke and could no longer do the work. I was under the impression that Chris Munson and Jimmy S were going to get the molds and continue on, but Chris died last year. Maybe Dave got the molds. I did get a chin spoiler from Dave's operation several years ago. There was some interest in that style chin spoiler at Daytona, but they no longer had that mold. A business oportunity for Obama to take credit for.
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for anymore news about the availability of these fastback tail light panels.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried the number posted in the link above last week and got no answer.
It was in the middle of the day so I don`t know if they were just maybe at lunch or what.
I was going to try again this week.
I like the panels that these guys make because the light pocket is recessed as opposed to just cut out.
This allows the lights to actually sit flush with the panel.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 12-17-2012).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXGOOD

5410 posts
Member since Feb 2006
I just talked to a guy at Dave`s Automotive and he said the guy who makes these won`t be there for a couple of days but he would have the guy call me back.
So, I guess they are still doing them.
Mike
olchap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olchapSend a Private Message to olchapEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do these versions use the guts from the old taillight assemblies or are the one piece? I can only see the outside from the photos.
Thanks.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I`m not sure but would assume that since the tailights come with them, they mount by themselves.
I will ask that when I hear from the guy.
Mike
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I just talked to a guy at Dave`s Automotive and he said the guy who makes these won`t be there for a couple of days but he would have the guy call me back.
So, I guess they are still doing them.
Mike

I called Uncle Dave's this past July and got the same answer. They said that they would call me back and I never heard from them. I wish that they would be honest with us and tell us if they intend to reproduce these panels or not. I want to buy this panel as it looks nice but I really hate it when I can't get an honest answer. If you get to talk with the guy that supposedly has the molds and makes these panels, please tell him that there are probably a few orders waiting in the wings and post your findings here.
------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 12-17-2012).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will do.
I wish I had the resources to produce swap brackets, these type taillight panels and a couple of other products because it seems that some people are just waiting to give their money to get parts but some people making them are dragging their feet or don`t follow through with communication.
I know about customer service and keeping your customers and potential customers abreast of what`s going on.
Fortunately, there are other vendors on here who do go the extra mile to make sure their customers are satisfied.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 12-17-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will do.
I wish I had the resources to produce swap brackets, these type taillight panels and a couple of other products because it seems that some people are just waiting to give their money to get parts but some people making them are dragging their feet or don`t follow through with communication.
I know about customer service and keeping your customers and potential customers abreast of what`s going on.
Fortunately, there are other vendors on here who do go the extra mile to make sure their customers are satisfied.

The original owner of the company that made these panels had a stroke and went out of business. Who know's who has the molds these days. They probably still exist but apparently are not being used. Fiero parts are a nitsch business it seems and vendors often run parts, sell them off andthen run them again months later. Its not just a matter of honesty but one of dedication to ones business.
Hope that we hear something soon.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a set of those when Al Linsey was making them they where excellent quality
John Black88GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John Black88GTSend a Private Message to John Black88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did anyone ever here back from the vendor?
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I talked to one of the guys at the Auto repair place and he told me that the guy who makes these was gone for a couple of days.
He got my number and said he would have the guy call me back but I never heard from him.
My situation changed so I didn`t pursue it.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I talked to one of the guys at the Auto repair place and he told me that the guy who makes these was gone for a couple of days.
He got my number and said he would have the guy call me back but I never heard from him.
My situation changed so I didn`t pursue it.

Sounds like a lost cause. They never called me back either. The guy who has the molds doesn't seem to want to make these. He should sell the molds and allow it to go back into production.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis,
why not buy one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...em4d014b6f9f&vxp=mtr
and a blank panel sold by one of the forum members. cut the light pockets out of the ebay panel and glass it to the blank...i know it isn't cheap but it is doable. that is how i made mine except i cut up a kahines panel and used c-4 pockets. if you can't fit it over the old backs you can always glass on mounts to the blank panel.
al

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 01-11-2013).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ace5514:

Dennis,
why not buy one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...em4d014b6f9f&vxp=mtr
and a blank panel sold by one of the forum members. cut the light pockets out of the ebay panel and glass it to the blank...i know it isn't cheap but it is doable. that is how i made mine except i cut up a kahines panel and used c-4 pockets. if you can't fit it over the old backs you can always glass on mounts to the blank panel.
al

As they say anything is possible if you try hard enough. Yes I guess I could build the panel with lots of work and fitting but the Lindsay panel mold already has the pockets for the lights fitted in. I think the best idea is to find out who has the mold , but it and get it to someone who will put the panel back into production.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
true, since it is already a developed mold. i hope that happens as that is a nice looking panel.
i hate seeing those things lost for ever. good luck.
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just happen to have a cut up set of these oval vette lights in recessed buckets. I also know how to make molds. If I made them I'd want them to have mounting brackets already installed and not use the buckets from the stock lights, I'd also like to do a notchback version.t
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a plan!
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would really like the one shown above! can anyone tell me where to get the backup lights, or what they came out of?

Thanks -
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know the measurement of those, but here is a led 4x6

http://pages.ebay.com/motor...351144155307&alt=web

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock