New Clutch recommendations 88 Fiero Gt Stock by CCB33
Started on: 06-27-2012 05:53 PM
Replies: 5 (389 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 02-20-2014 09:41 PM
CCB33

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CCB33Send a Private Message to CCB33Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at doing new clutch for 1988 Fiero GT 5 Spd Getrag, Stock engine. Would like to go with something a little stronger than stock. Read thru quite a few clutch threads here. Would like to hear some opinions from members.

Was looking at a couple.

1. Ram 9 3/4 as seen at fiero store. Believe the Ram Clutches part number is (88644HD) ? Does it provide a stronger holding capacity, less slip? stock pressure feel? Any downside to going with this larger size?

Can anyone confirm the Ram Part Number 88644HD as being the correct Ram part number for oversized 9 3/4 for 88 Fiero Gt 5 spd with getrag for online sourcing Summit etc... ?

2. Rock Auto has a AC DELCO Part # 381036 {#19182345, 88989048} replaces 88989048 PLATE KIT,CLU PRESS & DRVN (W/ CVR) ; 2 DOORS; RAISED DIAPHRAGM 9 1/8X14TX1.

Belive this one would be stock GM replacement for 88 GT 5Spe Getrag?
Would this be a a Luk clutch? Rock Auto was unsure.
Safe to use throw out bearing in this kit as it ACDELCO?

3. Other opinions suggestions?

Tks

[This message has been edited by CCB33 (edited 06-27-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2012 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many here have used the Ram from Fiero Store. I have a built 3.1, and never had an issue in the past 11,000 miles. I have used Ram clutches in many a Mustang. I like them.

Tony
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or you could go with a stock pressure plate and a ceramic disc, that would up your grip by about 30%. Larry
Imnuts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought AC Delco 381036 from Rock Auto ended up being a Sachs clutch kit. It lasted 1,500 miles and fell apart. One of the springs on the disk came out. Do not buy a AC Delco or Sachs Clutch!!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been using LUK clutches for years and haven't had any issues. I've installed them in 5 cars and I drove each very aggressively in multiple Run For The Hills events. They are very streetable clutches.

It's much easier to return them to Pep Boys in the event you find something wrong, than to return it to Rock Auto, and you can see the assembly before purchasing.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CCB33:

1. Ram 9 3/4 as seen at fiero store. Believe the Ram Clutches part number is (88644HD) ? Does it provide a stronger holding capacity, less slip? stock pressure feel? Any downside to going with this larger size?

Can anyone confirm the Ram Part Number 88644HD as being the correct Ram part number for oversized 9 3/4 for 88 Fiero Gt 5 spd with getrag for online sourcing Summit etc... ?

That's the correct one. There are some pics and other info at this link. (I used that clutch with a hydraulic throwout bearing Getrag that I am using with my 4.9. I just shelved the supplied throwout bearing.)
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-085296.html

To answer your questions...
I'm pleased with the way it engages and holds. It doesn't slip, even bolted to the 4.9 tractor motor.
I smoked it a little bit, holding the car on a hill, trying to pull out into traffic. Still doesn't slip, even after doing that.
I can't give you a valid pedal pressure comparison to the stock clutch, because I'm using the hydraulic throwout bearing. I don't have any complaints, however.

(I had a Spec 2, bolted to a 3.4 in a different car. I hated it. I like this one much better. It's just like a stock clutch, only bigger.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-20-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock