Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  '86 V6 motor and auto. trans. in '88 GT? Any issues with that?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
'86 V6 motor and auto. trans. in '88 GT? Any issues with that? by hdryder
Started on: 06-17-2012 06:54 PM
Replies: 5 (167 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 09-08-2013 10:45 PM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can an '86 motor and automatic transmission be used in an '88 GT model year, using the '88 cradle?

I am aware there were motor changes for the '88 model year, but if the complete motor and trans. are replaced, there should not be an issues. Is that correct?

Will the '88 ECM and wiring harness work with the '86 (or '87) V6 motor?
I think an alternator connector changed in '88, but I can use the '88 alternator.

Thanks for the help

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 09-08-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the 88 year cars one of the heater hoses hooked to the engine and one to one of the coolant lines on the side of the car.

Your 86 motor will have connections for both heater hoses.

You will have to cap one.
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

On the 88 year cars one of the heater hoses hooked to the engine and one to one of the coolant lines on the side of the car.

Your 86 motor will have connections for both heater hoses.

You will have to cap one.

Maybe my spare motor and trans., that I want to use, are from a '87.
The heater hose connections look very similar, and the guy I bought the motor from was not really sure what year it was.

Do '87 & '88 V6 motors have similar or the same heater hose connections?

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hdryder:

Do '87 & '88 V6 motors have similar or the same heater hose connections?

Yes. There should be a plug in the side of the water pump. Earlier cars (85-86) will have about a 3" piece of pipe.

The main external differences for the 88 are the alternator, oil pressure sender, and the mating connectors on the harness.
I would use the 88 stuff, including the harness.

The exhaust heat shields are different. The 88 alternator does NOT have a heat shield, where the earlier one will. The 88 has a shield on the corner of the trunk-side manifold, nearest the alternator. The 88 Y-pipe is also wrapped in thermal shielding, where the earlier one just has bolt-on shields.
Again, I would use the 88 stuff if you can.
(The trunk blower was deleted in the 88. Possibly because of this "improved" heat shielding.)

FWIW, the 87 will have "Fiero" engraved into the plenum, instead of a sticker, as the 85 and 86 had.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-08-2013).]

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, great that information helps a lot.

It must be a '87, as the plenum is just like my '87 GT 5-speed daily driver, with no black decal, as I have seen on a picture of a '85 motor.

I will do as you suggest, and use as much of the '88 parts on this '87 motor as possible.

Are the '87 and '88 oil pans the same?

Thanks for the help!

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 09-08-2013).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hdryder:

Are the '87 and '88 oil pans the same?

I believe they are. They changed the timing covers and oil pans in 87. I know the timing covers are the same.

One thing I forgot... The "front" (under the crank pulley) bracket and lower A/C bracket are different between the 87 and 88.
Some people choose to retain the early mounting bracket, and weld an extension onto the foot, and redrill the holes. (You'll see the difference when you have them both in front of you.)
The 88 also ditches the little shock absorber on the right corner of the engine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock