Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  3800 Series II, what are some favorite exhaust systems used?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Series II, what are some favorite exhaust systems used? by hdryder
Started on: 06-16-2012 08:53 PM
Replies: 30 (5903 views)
Last post by: Tweeder on 01-20-2015 01:41 PM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a fresh 3800 Series II SC ready soon for a swap.
Trying to plan ahead, I would like to get some good ideas about exhaust system choices available for this Fiero swap.

Thanks for the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are many threads about the 3800 exhause in th esearch function.
there are lots of different ways people route them, too many to list.
I like the stock manifolds and use a spintek muffler www.spintek.com call them and tell them what you have and they have the correct muffler for you.
Buy a couple of exhaust doughnuts to cut in half for the bends and a couple of straight pipe pieces. it is easy like puzzle.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As Revin has said the choices for a 3800 exhaust are numerous. If you want to keep your trunk then you are more limited in your choices. Spintech, and the Flotech afterburner are about the same size as the stock muffler. Some guys have adapted the Camaro/Firebird Flomaster crossflow but it needs modification to fit. A stock drop in, Fiero size muffler cannot be any longer than about 13" L about 10" H and 4" W. With such a small muffler the sound at the exhaust will be loud. . If you decide to eliminate the trunk then you can use a larger, quieter muffler like the Magnaflow or even dual exhaust mufflers.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

A stock drop in, Fiero size muffler cannot be any longer than about 13" L about 10" H and 4" W. With such a small muffler the sound at the exhaust will be loud. . If you decide to eliminate the trunk then you can use a larger, quieter muffler like the Magnaflow or even dual exhaust mufflers.

Any reason a muffler longer than 13' won't fit? I'm looking at a Spintech muffler that is 15' L, 10' H and 4' W. Link below.

Spintech Street Mufflers
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use a magnaflow #12158 muffler that is a shortened F body muffler that does fit barely with the trunk left intact and works pretty well. As for the exhaust system itself it depends on a lot of things like which tranny you are using as the stock 3800 cross over interferes with the Fiero 4 speed manual shifter assembly. How much power you are planning as more power does require larger diameter piping, if you are running a CAT plus many more things. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Call Spintek. Tell them 3800/Fiero , size of pipe and they will get the correct one for ya. Many have asked for their mufflers and they know where to notch or whatever it is they do, to insure a good fit.

Mine made as I said

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 04-04-2013).]

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Revin

I like the look of your exhaust. Looks simple and clean.

Any chance you can post some audio of what is sounds like?

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YouTube has some 3800 SC Fiero exhaust sounds (just use their search box).
Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering for those who have the exhaust like Revin, how loud is it compared to the often used magnaflow?
Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@Revin

I'm following a very similar set up to yours. Question is how far below the trunk does your exhaust hang? I have mine mocked up right now and I'm worried how low the muffler would be hanging. Any pictures of it installed would be appreciated.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it possible for anyone to Post a "sound bite" of a 3800 with the spintech and duals the way you have it ?? how Loud is it ?
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Spinteck makes a great sounding muffler. I had them on my 05 GTO and my 88 Fiero w/ DOHC 3.4

I plan to do almost the same thing you did, except I am going to use a series of 90's and have it loop around to top of itself. One loop will be the cat, then below it the muffler. The muffler will be horizonal not vertical like in yours. I have a picture of it, but its at home. Its the same "loop on top of a loop" picture that many have used here. I am cutting the trunk out so space is not a problem. Great looking system.

Luke, I am just using the stock manifolds. I had them ceramic coated. If I was doing it again, I'd swap out the front manifold for a Powerlog from ZZP, and use the stock rear one.

Rob
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
only sound bite...
http://www.youtube.com/watc...UWn-_Nx85KvjHdsnC3oA

no "hangin" pic. sorry
the way I mocked it up was starting at the manifold, get that 1st bend right. From there it is just a matter of turning some of the "bends or curves" in difference directions to get the muffler tucked up under the rear. I know it seems like it is flat sitting there but there is a leaning affect once attached to the manifold. not 90* or 45* but somewhere in between. you will see once you get to that point.

I also painted a very high heat paint(black) to help hide the muffler. But you really cannot see it all that well.

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 06-10-2013).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This muffler can make anything sound good.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the response, I'm going to give it another try this weekend.
lowtrickry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowtrickrySend a Private Message to lowtrickryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much do those spintec mufflers go for
Fiero_Guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_GuySend a Private Message to Fiero_GuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Call Spintek. Tell them 3800/Fiero , size of pipe and they will get the correct one for ya. Many have asked for their mufflers and they know where to notch or whatever it is they do, to insure a good fit.

Mine made as I said

Revin is that a Cat before your muffler? Does your setup fit without cutting your trunk? I can't believe that will fit without the muffler almost touching the road. Any pictures of it installed on your car that we could see? I want a cheap easy setup to get me through the summer, because next winter I'm gonna go turbo and will have to completely change my exhaust setup.
lowtrickry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowtrickrySend a Private Message to lowtrickryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Called spintech today... muffler goes for 128.95
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, no trunk cutting here!! I can even remove it in about 10 min. if needed.

That is a cat on there. a high flow bullet type.(ebay)

I bought two exhaust doughnuts (2.5")
close to it: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/...E-21-4-/160847204842

Cut them in half, that is how to get the bends. cut one of the halves in half for the one coming off the manifolds.

simple, no trunk cutting, sounds really nice, quiet untill you hit the gas, inexpensive.
lowtrickry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowtrickrySend a Private Message to lowtrickryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anyone know the part number for the spintech muffler 2.5"in dual 2.5" out that revin used. I called a while ago and got the price and part number but have seince lost the information. also if there is a way to order off their website using the part nu,mber or even better a link to it.
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still waiting for somebody to use one of these:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/126822.html

PFF
System Bot
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is some pics of my current setup. It is a spintech with a 3 inch inlet and dual 2 1/2 outlets. IMHO it sounds very mellow, there is no rasp to this setup which I am very happy with the way it turned out. I am using ZZP's Stainless headers. There is my first startup video as well.

http://youtu.be/Q6Ul2sNg_ZU
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by daniel87fierogt:

Here is some pics of my current setup. It is a spintech with a 3 inch inlet and dual 2 1/2 outlets. IMHO it sounds very mellow, there is no rasp to this setup which I am very happy with the way it turned out. I am using ZZP's Stainless headers. There is my first startup video as well.

http://youtu.be/Q6Ul2sNg_ZU

Awesome.
lowtrickry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowtrickrySend a Private Message to lowtrickryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daniel87 what do you have into your engine for upgrades?
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I bought my 84 with a 3.8 sc, it had WC Fiero headers hooked up to the stock 4 cyl exhaust. The car was real quiet. Last week, I had the 3" single in/ 3" single outlet WC Fiero exhaust system installed. The single in/out setup came with the car and was never installed previously because the PO thought it would be too loud. It uses a Spintek muffler, which I thought might be too noisy. It was a cat delete setup, but I had the muffler shop install it with the 3" ZZP cat that was on the car already. To my delight, the car is not noisy at all, and there is little to no drone at highway speeds. Because it's a 3" pipe, I may get accused of being a bit ricer since the only acceptable stainless tip I could find was somewhat unusual by my taste. It hangs a bit lower than I would like, but that may be due to the installer. I think with a little more patience, it could have been made to fit up tighter, but after all it is 3" and takes up a lot of room under there.

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lowtrickry- My mods are
Balance shaft removed
Rollermaster double roller timing set
XP cam (520" intake, 536" exhaust)
Comp Cams pushrods
Comp Cam modified retainers
Comp Cam valve locks
Comp Cam Pro magnum roller rockers
Comp cam lifters
ARP Head studs, main studs, rod bolts
4 layer Cometic head gaskets
ZZP Stage 3 heads
Comp 130lb valve springs
ZZP Stage 2 Fullsize Intercooler
Ported intake
42lb Lucas injectors
Autolite 103's
MSD wires
Triple Edge inlet and outlet ported M90
Northstar Throttlebody
3.0 Supercharger pulley
8 Rib Blower belt
85 mm LQ4 Maf
4" CAI
ZZP Stainless 1 3/4" headers
Full 3" exhaust with spintech muffler
5 Spd Getrag with Spec Stage 4 clutch
lowtrickry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowtrickrySend a Private Message to lowtrickryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
333sc is the spintech part number for 2.5" in 2.5" duel out
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is 3" in and dual 2.5 out. Small case for 3800/fiero

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/

Everyone says spintek which is actually membrane filtration systems.

Here's a sound clip for you

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011

No trunk cutting. 3" magnaflow cat, and my small case 3' inlet dual 2.5" out exhaust system

-Mitch

Edit: to fix image sizes

------------------
My Car - 87' GT - 3800sc - Flat Black - Lowered
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 01-20-2015).]

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zac88GT:

I'm still waiting for somebody to use one of these:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/126822.html

Wow now that would be an option for me and bout the same price as ordering two mufflers like i was going to. Now to figure out what pipe tips to use.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay