Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Clutch safety switch adjustment procedure?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Clutch safety switch adjustment procedure? by imacflier
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:52 PM
Replies: 11 (4180 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 04-07-2015 04:28 PM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good afternoon all,

A nice easy one (I think). I cannot seem to find the procedure for adjusting the clutch safety switch in the FSM. My clutch pedal must be hard to the floor to start the car and I really would like to adjust it (WITHOUT just shorting the purple and yellow wires together!). Can someone point me to the page in the FSM or outline the adjustment procedure, please.

NOTE: this is NOT the neutral safety swtich!

TIA,
Larry

[This message has been edited by imacflier (edited 06-10-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are only two switches on the clutch pedal... one to disengage the cruise control and the other is the neutral safety switch, so it's not clear which one you want to adjust.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bloozberry

7760 posts
Member since Jan 2009
If you want the clutch pedal mounted cruise control switch adjustment procedure it's on page 9B-13 of the '86 FSM.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blooz,

I want the switch which prevents the starter from starting unless the clutch pedal is depressed, i.e., the clutch safety switch.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK. Most people just call it the neutral safety, but you're right it's actually called the clutch safety switch on the manual transmission cars. I looked in the shop manual for the adjustment procedure as well but could find nothing. I have one on my workbench though, so if I get a chance to look at it later and figure it out, I'll post something. I seem to remember Phonedawgz posting a nice clear picture of the switch recently but I can't remember if he also posted instructions on adjusting it or not. Might be worth a try searching for it in the meantime.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blooz,

Thanks, much, I would appreciate whatever you can find. I was unable to locate anything in search either.

Larry
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It turns out the switch is easily adjusted. Here's a pic of the innards of the switch when the clutch pedal is not depressed:

There's a set of stationary contacts (only partly visible under the spring) in the housing that the electrical connector attaches to, and a set of contacts attached to a spring-loaded slider block inside the housing. When the clutch is depressed, it pulls the rod to the left of the picture. At a given moment, the adjuster clip attached to the other end of the rod contacts a snout on the slider block sticking out of the housing. As the pedal is further depressed, the adjuster pushes on the snout and slides the block inside the housing until the contacts on the underside of the block close the circuit between the two stationary contacts.

So, knowing how it works it's clear that if your pedal needs to be pushed all the way to the floor before the contacts close, then you need to unclip the slider limiter from the end of the rod, and reclip it on a little closer to the snout. If you look carefully, there is a pair of small hooks on the slider limiter holding the two halves together. You only need to unclip one side with your fingernail to move the limiter along the rod.

Also notice that there are a pair of teeth on the inside of the limiter that must engage with the teeth on the rod to make a positive lock onto the rod.

Lastly, it might take a few tries to get it just right. The last thing you want to do is install the limiter too close to the snout on the block and end up having the internals of the switch act as the pedal stop. It will surely break if you do that.

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 06-10-2012).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice writeup!
johnfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnfieroSend a Private Message to johnfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where does the end with the hook connect. Mine snapped off but I don't see where it was attached.
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the information! Mine stopped working a few weeks ago. I have a problem with the contacts, it would take several attempts at starting, pressing and releasing the clutch to start. I think I have dirty or burned contacts since the slider limiter is tight, and this problem is recent. I have it bypassed for now and when I get some time I'll open it up and find the problem. Thanks again!
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero switch has been discontinued. Check out my post here for part numbers to a compatible switch and installation instructions!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you make it too close it won't break, but it will strip the little locking pins on the shaft. I found the easiest thing to do then is tie a bread tie on the shaft behind the slider.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock