Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  L67 gurus: which northstar throttle body to get for 3800sc 2 project car upgrade?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
L67 gurus: which northstar throttle body to get for 3800sc 2 project car upgrade? by OHNIKO
Started on: 06-08-2012 11:26 AM
Replies: 11 (7394 views)
Last post by: OHNIKO on 08-21-2014 02:36 PM
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are they all the same?

is it the one for the 4.6 engine, and does the year matter?

any info or even a pic or 2 would be helpful.

The car currently has the stock L67 tb from a 98 buick regal gs donor installed.

thanks in advance all!

ps.

i'll also need an adapter plate & maf; where to get & what to ask for?

------------------
RATE ME IF YOU LIKE MY CRUISES!!!
1985 RED & SILVER CUSTOM GT 2.8 V6...IT LOOKS NICE!

Original 18" x 8" Motegi Roja's, 225-40-ZR18's front, 265-35-ZR18's rears, coil-overs, KYB shocks & struts, 2.5" drop, K&N filters, Holley side scoop, upgraded front & rear sway bars, poly, fully loaded, tinted, & some other nice custom stuff...

1985 GT SILVER CONVERSION PROJECT, 3800 SC SII powered, doesn't look as nice (yet), but it sure goes!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought one myself for a setup I am buying that doesnt some with the TB...Get a 00-05 TB from the N*...Here is the one I bought the other day...This will match up to the adapter that ZZP sells along with all the other needed parts that they sell.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not an upgrade if you have a gen3 blower. The mess of tuning you have to do usually makes the gains not worth the hassle.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Its not an upgrade if you have a gen3 blower. The mess of tuning you have to do usually makes the gains not worth the hassle.

I liked the upgrade for the throttle responce you get from it. But I also ran it with ported blower, cam, IC, ect....
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you go with the 2000 N* throttle body it is also advisable to increase the MAF sensor size. I run an SLP LS1 MAF sensor and the combo gives the full 75mm of flow capability. The tuning is a chore. You must import the LS1 MAF table values into your PCM program then adjust the PE tables to get the fueling right. It took many tries with the wideband to get it right. IMO, without a matching larger flowing MAF it is senseless to just up the size of the throttle body.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank you folks for your advice, experience & opinions...the shopping around for the parts will commence once i get back from vacation that just started; woohoo!

any pointers as to whom u recommend for the tb, ls1 maf, adapter plate etc/anything else req'd would be great in the meantime.

be well!

------------------
RATE ME IF YOU LIKE MY CRUISES!!!
1985 RED & SILVER CUSTOM GT 2.8 V6...IT LOOKS NICE!

Original 18" x 8" Motegi Roja's, 225-40-ZR18's front, 265-35-ZR18's rears, coil-overs, KYB shocks & struts, 2.5" drop, K&N filters, Holley side scoop, upgraded front & rear sway bars, poly, fully loaded, tinted, & some other nice custom stuff...

1985 GT SILVER CONVERSION PROJECT, 3800 SC SII powered, doesn't look as nice (yet), but it sure goes!

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1995-older Northstars didn't use IAC valves, they used ISC (throttle kicker) motors which are not compatible with 3800 PCMs. So I would steer clear of this type of TB.

1996-99 Northstar throttle bodies did use conventional IAC valves. They also had a bolt-on plastic MAF housing which will accept 3800 Series 2 MAF sensors of both types (one requires modification), or you can keep the stock Northstar MAF sensor if you tune the 3800 PCM to work with it.

2000+ cable-op Northstar throttle bodies did not have a bolt-on MAF housing/sensor; which means if you use this TB you will need to get a stand-alone MAF sensor that can install into the induction system somewhere between the TB and air filter.

Personally I like using the 96-99 era TB's because their throttle cable brackets work well with the Fiero throttle cable (and Northstar cruise control unit). It is also convenient to have the MAF sensor housing bolted directly to the TB as this simplifies your induction setup. As with anything else, installing a larger TB by itself may not increase performance without having other supporting mods installed. You certainly don't want to just slap a larger throttle body onto a stock, unported blower housing IF that blower housing's inlet isn't already as big as the TB you are installed or at least opened up (ported) to match the size of the larger throttle body you want to use.

Here are some pictures of one I installed on a Series 3 SC swap I did not too long ago. The throttle body adapter plate was curtousey of Dave @ tripleedgeperformance.com.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 06-16-2012).]

Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

1995-older Northstars didn't use IAC valves, they used ISC (throttle kicker) motors which are not compatible with 3800 PCMs. So I would steer clear of this type of TB.

1996-99 Northstar throttle bodies did use conventional IAC valves. They also had a bolt-on plastic MAF housing which will accept 3800 Series 2 MAF sensors of both types (one requires modification), or you can keep the stock Northstar MAF sensor if you tune the 3800 PCM to work with it.

2000+ cable-op Northstar throttle bodies did not have a bolt-on MAF housing/sensor; which means if you use this TB you will need to get a stand-alone MAF sensor that can install into the induction system somewhere between the TB and air filter.

Personally I like using the 96-99 era TB's because their throttle cable brackets work well with the Fiero throttle cable (and Northstar cruise control unit). It is also convenient to have the MAF sensor housing bolted directly to the TB as this simplifies your induction setup. As with anything else, installing a larger TB by itself may not increase performance without having other supporting mods installed. You certainly don't want to just slap a larger throttle body onto a stock, unported blower housing IF that blower housing's inlet isn't already as big as the TB you are installed or at least opened up (ported) to match the size of the larger throttle body you want to use.

Here are some pictures of one I installed on a Series 3 SC swap I did not too long ago. The throttle body adapter plate was curtousey of Dave @ tripleedgeperformance.com.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

-ryan

Sorry to jack this thread, please reply to me via PM if it's better for everyone. I am doing a S-III swap in my 86GT w/ the N* TB. I like the adaptor plate in this picture, the alternator relocate and the dogbone bracket. If i can get more info on them or this car's build thread, I would really appreciate it. Again, sory for jacking the thread.

Cheers!
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the advantages of the northstar throttle body?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NightMare Cruiser:

\

If the engine needs more air flow such as if you are running more boost. My Gen V supercharger w 3.4L pulley puts out 11 psi of boost and that's why I run one. If you want to run this much boost, I can tell you from experience that you will never get rid of the KR's no matter how hard you try. I had to add the ZZ SSIC ( intercooler) with a Flojet RV pump and a hefty size heat exchanger.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NightMare Cruiser:

\

If the engine needs more air flow such as if you are running more boost. My Gen V supercharger w 3.4L pulley puts out 11 psi of boost and that's why I run one. If you want to run this much boost, I can tell you from experience that you will never get rid of the KR's no matter how hard you try. I had to add the ZZ SSIC ( intercooler) with a Flojet RV pump and a hefty size heat exchanger.
[/QUOTE]

AND were you able to eliminate the KR with the IC?
PFF
System Bot
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
and what size heat exchanger was used?
...I currently have an oil cooler system heat exchanger from a saab 9-5 (1999-2009)...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock