Rodney’s 2.8 V-6 idler pulley question by pcwentworth
Started on: 06-06-2012 08:12 AM
Replies: 20 (749 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 04-20-2014 09:50 AM
pcwentworth

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcwentworthSend a Private Message to pcwentworthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for a little advice. Last night I installed Rodney’s 2.8 V-6 idler pulley to take care of the horrible squeal. Any rate, installed, the startup squeal is gone. The belt seems tight; however I have a low pitched squeak now when running all the time. I did not have it before. You can tell it is coming from the belt area. Any advice on what it might be or how to track it down.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What it could be;
- the belt is slipping over the idler pulley, as something may not be lined up correctly
- you tightened everything WAY too tight, and it's causing strain on pulleys
- you have a pulley that is wearing out
- you have a water pump that is wearing out (I put that last because light squeaks from that area are typically a water pump going bad, and hope for your sake it's not your water pump. They're a lot of "fun" to replace)
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar problem. It had to do with belt adjustment. If you don't get the adjustment correct, the belt can move on the idler pulley. With the engine running, shine a light down there and the belt should be showing about ~1/8"~ on the inside if it is riding correctly. I also sprayed a bit of Jigaloo on it when I was testing it and the squeal disappeared. That's how I could tell it was squirming.

Arn
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be very cautious about spraying anything but water on the belt. As someone who worked through the noisy belt era at GM durring the 80's I can tell you that I have spent hundreds of hours trying to clean off every sort of lubricant and dressing known. They all make it quiet at first, then make i ta lot noiser in the end.

Put water in a spray bottle, spray each pully and you will find the noise. It is either a tension or an alignment issue.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be belt adjustment, or a pulley out of alignment. I'm using Rodney's idler pulley with no issues. I'd check to make sure all the pulleys are in line and square to each other.
pcwentworth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcwentworthSend a Private Message to pcwentworthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a small update. If I spray water on the new pulley, the sound goes away for afew minutes. I figured it would have made it worse.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it only makes a difference on the new idler pulley, that's where the noise is coming from. My first guess would be the pulley isn't exactly square or in line with the other pulleys.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is an old thread, but I found this in the search as I have the same problem.

The idler solves the main problem, but the idler itself is squeaking. I've actually replaced it (maybe twice) and the squeak comes back after a time. Gets a little better the more I drive it, but almost unbearable if the car has been sitting a while.

Maybe I'm over tightening my belt, but is there a better solution maybe that self tensions the belt?

thanks.

- Jonathan
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

...but is there a better solution maybe that self tensions the belt?

Yes.

I love Rodney's products, but IMO that one is better than his.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-09-2014).]

Knight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. I do love Rodney's products. But I chose Dodgerunner's tensioner because I like the self adjusting tension so never too tight or loose, and it was GM's solution to the belt issues of the 80's.
Belt hasn't sqealed for more than a second since. And only then faintly, at startup and after some really bad weather.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks I was looking for Dodgerunner's but the links I found were dead.
PFF
System Bot
whitestar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whitestarSend a Private Message to whitestarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here you go Jonathan. I tried this today and it work fine for me. Hope that helps you.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks...
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know this is an old thread, but I found this in the search as I have the same problem.

The idler solves the main problem, but the idler itself is squeaking. I've actually replaced it (maybe twice) and the squeak comes back after a time. Gets a little better the more I drive it, but almost unbearable if the car has been sitting a while.

Maybe I'm over tightening my belt, but is there a better solution maybe that self tensions the belt?

thanks.

- Jonathan

I have about 20K on one of Rodney's units with zero problems. You can take a good look at mine to see if your belts are lined up as mine are before you spend an additional 'C' note.
-Joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 04-11-2014).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I have about 20K on one of Rodney's units with zero problems. You can take a good look at mine to see if your belts are lined up as mine are before you spend an additional 'C' note.
-Joe

I don't know what the deal is with mine. Maybe I tightened the belt too much out of habit. I ordered another Dayco idler and belt in the mean time. If that fails in short time then I know something is wrong.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay something is definitely wrong because I replaced the idler and belt and it sounds exactly the same...as in something is squeaking loud and very noticeable.. Maybe its something else or the pulley bracket is bent. I really dont know whst to do next but its driving me crazy.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd check your water pump really well. I thought my tensioner pulley was making noise and replace the tensioner. Didn't help.
spun the WP with the belt off and could hear it was bad. Was making a kind of rumble/squeal.
Check the alt also of course.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

I'd check your water pump really well. I thought my tensioner pulley was making noise and replace the tensioner. Didn't help.
spun the WP with the belt off and could hear it was bad. Was making a kind of rumble/squeal.

Can a water pump bearing go bad like that? I've always had them leak but never make a little squeaking sound. At this point I think it has to be something else besides the idler. I can't imagine a new belt squeaking like that. I could bypass the ider with a stock belt, but I'm already tired of messing with it.

Is there a microphone gizmo that can pinpoint where a sound is coming from? It doesn't sound like the alternator and it's relatively new.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is there a microphone gizmo that can pinpoint where a sound is coming from?

Here you go...

Originally posted by Patrick:

Eliminate the guesswork and spend a whole 3 bucks on a Mechanic's Stethoscope !

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Here you go...

Thanks... I need to hit the Harbor Freight and pick one of those up... danger is that I'll come back with a car load of cheap crap tools.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-20-2014).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Good points, both.

I've had water pumps that growled but didn't leak. And an alternator that growled but before I got around to investigating further it seized and the belt wouldn't slip so it stalled the engine at a stop sign! It was a long walk home to get tools...

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock