How to Remove the 88 Fiero Rotor? by Scuderia Ferrari
Started on: 06-03-2012 03:04 PM
Replies: 14 (297 views)
Last post by: Racing_Master on 06-04-2012 06:13 PM
Scuderia Ferrari

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-03-2012 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scuderia FerrariSend a Private Message to Scuderia FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have been looking since yesterday morning everywhere trying to figure out how to remove my front passenger rotor from my 88 Formula. I need to go get it turned since its shuttering like crazy. My haynes manual says to remove the cap, cotter pin and nut... from what I can see there is no cap. Looks like it should slide right off but wont, We have banged it and tried to pry it but i think i am missing something. Is it just rusted on or what? here is some pics.

IMG_2242 by Daddy WhiteOut, on Flickr

IMG_2243 by Daddy WhiteOut, on Flickr

IP: Logged

Raydar

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 425
Rate this member

06-03-2012 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your removal info is for the earlier years. The 88 hub is a one piece sealed unit. (Be careful. The OEM ones are no longer in production. All that are available are Chinese repops or good used ones.)

The rotor is just rusted on.
Tap around the edges with a hammer. Inside and outside edges. Not too hard. Just repeatedly.
You might try spraying some PB Blaster around the hub and studs to see if it will penetrate through and dissolve some of the rust.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Scuderia Ferrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-03-2012 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scuderia FerrariSend a Private Message to Scuderia FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok thanks, so then it will just slide off, do I need to watch for anything falling out as I pull it off or is it all incaased?

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

06-03-2012 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just smack it with a hammer a few times and it will work itself loose. The rotor is just 1 piece, so nothing else will come off (besides all the loose rust inside the rotors).

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 06-03-2012).]

Timpilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-03-2012 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageClick Here to Email TimpilotSend a Private Message to TimpilotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I recently took the rotors off my Formula. Seemed really stuck at first. I sprayed WD-40 around the studs and the center protruding part. Then started hitting the edges and face of the rotor while turning it - with a big rubber mallet. After a couple of minutes, the rotor popped off easily.

gmctyphoon1992

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-03-2012 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Click Here to Email gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It usually gets stuck on the face of the hub where it rusts together.. just spray penetrating oil like pb blaster not wd-40 on back of the rotor torward the center and the front stud holes along with the center cap and work it up and down and side to side it should pull loose pretty easily..also tap the ends of the rotor lightly with a rubber mallet that may help too

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 06-03-2012).]

Racing_Master

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-03-2012 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racing_MasterSend a Private Message to Racing_MasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When the rotors are rusted on, the tool called the BFH (Big F**kin Hammer) comes into play. A small one may not have enough force. Use a 3lb sledge or dead blow hammer (Reccomend dead blow), and beat the crap out of it, Putting one lug on a couple threads will prevent the rotor from jumping off when it breaks free, and can save your feet or anything under the rotor.

TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-03-2012 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Use a 3 or 5 lb hammer and hit the rotor on the front face right between the studs. It sounds crazy hitting it that way but it works every time. Sometimes the rotor is still good and you don't want to hit it on the brake surfaces.

gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-03-2012 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Click Here to Email gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racing_Master:

When the rotors are rusted on, the tool called the BFH (Big F**kin Hammer) comes into play. A small one may not have enough force. OUse a 3lb sledge or dead blow hammer (Reccomend dead blow), and beat the crap out of it, Putting one lug on a couple threads will prevent the rotor from jumping off when it breaks free, and can save your feet or anything under the rotor.

I'm pretty sure a sledge hammer is not the best tool to use when taking off a simple rotor..you can damage the hub, bearings in the hub, or possibly any fragile suspension components from the shock

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 06-03-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

06-03-2012 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

5lb sledge smack to the hub part of the rotor. If its really bad then some heat to the hub section will help too.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

Racing_Master

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-03-2012 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racing_MasterSend a Private Message to Racing_MasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gmctyphoon1992:

I'm pretty sure a sledge hammer is not the best tool to use when taking off a simple rotor..you can damage the hub, bearings in the hub, or possibly any fragile suspension components from the shock

This is the method I use to get the rusty rusty rotors off at work, and the way I was trained to do it. Living in NH, we get some BAD Rotors. I have even had some rotors that REFUSED to come off with a hammer, slide hammer, or any form lubing... the method that was used then was cut the hat of the rotor with a cutoff wheel to make a pie slice, and air hammer chunks of the hat off until it snapped the rotor free of the wheel hub.

99% of the hubs should be strong enough to take a 3lb sledge hit, with most of the force being exherted on the rotor itself not on the hub it sits on. I generally smash the hat and sometimes opposing corners of the rotor surface if its being changed. I have yet to see it damage any suspension components of any returning customers. Those suspension components see much harsher treatments from roads and potholes (especially around MA... Boston MA... Rim killer central right there), than a 3lb sledge will ever give it.

I would refrain from using heat as that could travel down the hub and damage the bearing seals. but when you're in a pinch... sometimes you gotta risk a little damage.

Scuderia Ferrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-03-2012 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scuderia FerrariSend a Private Message to Scuderia FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After we all went to the pool I grabed up a 40oz of Bud, PB Blaster and 2 min after application banged about 5 - 10 times and glory behold me it came off.
I originaly did not want to bang on it much as i was not sure if i was missing something or not, but i guess it was just rusty. Went and had it turned and back on the car within an hour. All is gravy now thanks for the help. I have had to change the heater core, frozen caliper, get rotor turned and change pads all in this past week... first time to realy get down and do so work on my formula since I grabber her up. Now on to find exactly what the H is hising and leaking out oil at the block ner the EGR area.

IMG_2246 by Daddy WhiteOut, on Flickr

gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-04-2012 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Click Here to Email gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racing_Master:

This is the method I use to get the rusty rusty rotors off at work, and the way I was trained to do it. Living in NH, we get some BAD Rotors. I have even had some rotors that REFUSED to come off with a hammer, slide hammer, or any form lubing... the method that was used then was cut the hat of the rotor with a cutoff wheel to make a pie slice, and air hammer chunks of the hat off until it snapped the rotor free of the wheel hub.

99% of the hubs should be strong enough to take a 3lb sledge hit, with most of the force being exherted on the rotor itself not on the hub it sits on. I generally smash the hat and sometimes opposing corners of the rotor surface if its being changed. I have yet to see it damage any suspension components of any rAeturning customers. Those suspension components see much harsher treatments from roads and potholes (especially around MA... Boston MA... Rim killer central right there), than a 3lb sledge will ever give it.

I would refrain from using heat as that could travel down the hub and damage the bearing seals. but when you're in a pinch... sometimes you gotta risk a little damage.

That's fine I'm sure you have had that..but this is somewhat drastic and more of a last resort..he still had plenty of options to get that rotor of and honestly his rotor doesn't look half as bad as mine did and I live near the ocean in florida lol...and I'm not questioning your skills either..I would just try to do other things first before beating the crap out of it..

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 06-04-2012).]

TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-04-2012 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hitting it with a 3 or 5 lb hammer a few times isn't going to hurt anything. I've been doing it for years and have never had issues with harming bearings.

Racing_Master

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-04-2012 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racing_MasterSend a Private Message to Racing_MasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gmctyphoon1992:

That's fine I'm sure you have had that..but this is somewhat drastic and more of a last resort..he still had plenty of options to get that rotor of and honestly his rotor doesn't look half as bad as mine did and I live near the ocean in florida lol...and I'm not questioning your skills either..I would just try to do other things first before beating the crap out of it..

no offense was taken, and I understand the differences in our living conditions :P. Generally for me, I am replacing the rotors since turning them ends up being more expensive in the long run. I do not care about damaging the rotor itself, and the fastest most proven method is to beat the hell out of them... also is a good way to get rid of anger if they are REALLY stuck on.

The problem with using oils on rotors is the fact they are cast iron, and cast iron is porous. Oils such as PB Blaster, Break Away, Deep Creep, etc, and even Brake Fluid, can soak into the rotor like a sponge and leak out through its pores. The fact that they are thin is what makes it so they can seep in there. Axle oil (75w-90) can also contaminate brake rotors/drums and make them feel funny, even if you use brake parts cleaner to try and lift the oils out of the rotors. Generally if I find a contaminated rotor I change it.

They come pickled most of the time, but usually that oil they use burns off rather fast after the first few braking attempts, its really just a form of rust proofing.

That being said, a home mechanic might not look for the fastest way because they aren't on the clock when working on a job like I am, so they have more time to explore different avenues that more suit their tastes in how they want to work on their car. As long as the same goal is reached, then who cares how you do it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock