Fiero Traveling Tool Kit by avlonfrg
Started on: 05-26-2012 03:36 PM
Replies: 19 (924 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 03-27-2014 11:27 AM
avlonfrg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avlonfrgSend a Private Message to avlonfrgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For any car I own, I like to have enough tools that I can change an alternator or starter, belts etc. , when out on the road. In the past, I have overdone it and had enough tools to rebuild the engine, (well, it seems like it). I would like to have a modest collection of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. for my newly acquired 87 GT.

Has anyone out there come up with a studied approach to the above? If so, I would appreciate any input.

John W
Baltimore
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I carry one of those fold up kits with tools, a couple of belts, coolant and window cleaner.
The minimum I would carry, the belt and the tools to change the belt.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avlonfrg:

I would like to have a modest collection of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. for my newly acquired 87 GT.

Its been mentioned many times here before. But in a nutshell, you'd want a basic Metric socket set (or if you're buying them seperately, you'd need 7mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 19mm... Possibly 18mm for ball joint castle nuts). A 5.5mm socket or nutdriver for your ignition module and distributor cap screws. Battery terminal bolts are 8mm if I remember right. Screwdrivers, etc.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Torx 15, and an ICM. A few feet of wire and some wire nuts. A fire extinguisher.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Torx 15, and an ICM. A few feet of wire and some wire nuts. A fire extinguisher.

Also a screwdriver to remove the distributor cap, and the socket and nut driver to unscrew the ignition module. The size of those little bolts was 1/4" or 5/16" I believe? Someone here will know. The tools to replace the coil too, I was stranded due to a bad coil on my freaking 4 cylinder car for crying out loud!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like a spare belt, small set of wrenches, small set of sockets and a driver, flat and philips screwdriver, vise grips, spare ignition module, spare stock coil, small coil of electical wire, tape and a knife/razor blade. Usually all fits in a small old handbag or soft lunch cooler.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I like a spare belt, small set of wrenches, small set of sockets and a driver, flat and philips screwdriver, vise grips, spare ignition module, spare stock coil, small coil of electical wire, tape and a knife/razor blade. Usually all fits in a small old handbag or soft lunch cooler.

That sound like just about the perfect list. I would only add the fire extinguisher, and I am still looking for a very small one that could be attached near the spare tire.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Other than the stock jack and spare, my main 'tools' are a spare ignition module and a screw driver with replaceable tips so I can change it out. Small torch because you can guarantee it'll be dark when it dies. I don't carry much else unless I am going on a longer trip (in which case I take everything and the kitchen sink) and just rely on my mobile phone and AAA.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer to have more than I should need. Here is my typical travel kits for longer trips. It fits nicely in the bottom of the truck or up front with the spare removed.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I prefer to have more than I should need. Here is my typical travel kits for longer trips. It fits nicely in the bottom of the truck or up front with the spare removed.

I basically carry this kit with less connectors and add a few tie wraps, large water pump pliers (radiator/thermostat housing caps can sometimes be hard to remove), racheting box end wrenches, four way tire tool, SAE sockets, and sometimes a Haynes service manual. Sometimes a set of belts also accompany me. This travels under the front deck lid and on top of the spare tire.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 05-27-2012).]

tucsonsean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2012 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tucsonseanSend a Private Message to tucsonseanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My God! Now i'm scared! I've driven older British Leyland vehicles around with far fewer tools--and those cars are notoriously unreliable. I've only had my 2m4 for six months. Are they really that prone to breaking down without notice?
PFF
System Bot
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2012 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tucsonsean:

My God! Now i'm scared! I've driven older British Leyland vehicles around with far fewer tools--and those cars are notoriously unreliable. I've only had my 2m4 for six months. Are they really that prone to breaking down without notice?

Depends on the state of repair, or disrepair...
Heat in the engine compartment messes up many things, and getting cooling working with ground effects and such helps.
But the age of the parts and the mileage can be a big factor too.
My first Fiero I had, I drove for 13 years, (over 300K miles!), summer and winter here in Michigan, and it rusted out very badly. Now I use winter beaters to help preserve my fieros.
By the way, my biggest failures has been the v belts, I have not had a serpentine belt engine, so I can't say how they hold up in a Fiero, but my Buick and Chrysler had serpentine belts and they held up well.
But, like any vehicle, they can and do break down at any time for any reason...
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2012 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your phrase 'without notice' reminds me of one particular Fiero failure that may be the reason for this entire thread, and that is the ICM. The usual failure mode is at freeway speed with everything working beautifully. Then your right foot falls to the floor and you are coasting. Often when it cools off the car will start, only to do it again, and these things always seem to happen on the weekend.

The little electronic box was 'state-of-the-art' in 1984, but that was a long time ago.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2012 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

That sound like just about the perfect list. I would only add the fire extinguisher, and I am still looking for a very small one that could be attached near the spare tire.

I dont add a fire extinguisher to the list because I think ANY car worth keeping should have one as standard equipment. Every vehicle I own has one.

tucsonsean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2012 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tucsonseanSend a Private Message to tucsonseanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The previous owner of mine kept pretty good records, which include TWO ignition control modules and TWO coils. I keep a metric half-inch drive kit, couple of vise grips, an open-box end wrench set, along with automotive multi-bit screwdriver and fire extinguisher. I think I'll add the v-belt, spare stock coil, and ignition module. Seems like I may need them as often as the spare tire. (Not that often, really; but you're really glad you have them when things go bad.)

[This message has been edited by tucsonsean (edited 05-28-2012).]

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2012 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"For any car I own, I like to have enough tools that I can change an alternator or starter, belts etc. , when out on the road. In the past, I have overdone it and had enough tools to rebuild the engine, (well, it seems like it)."

Ford man?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2012 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To keep the tool kit small, I carry two, GearWrench Quad Box reversible ratching wrenches. That gives you eight different metric sizes on only two wrenches. Add a 3/8", 1/4" socket set, vice grips, a couple of screwdrivers and the small torx screwdriver for the trim , a fender cover and that should take care of all of the on-the-road fixes. I also add vinyl, goves, Fast Orange Hand wipes and a roll of duct tape to the kit.
Fire extinguishers are standard equipment and I usually carry two or three. If you have the room a gallon jug of water/coolant can also be helpful. For any needed oil I'll just stop at Wallmart.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just passed the toolkit test! Driving at 55mph Thursday afternoon and the Tach went to ZERO. I coasted into a Target parking lot......I turned the key and the tach did not move, so I figured I lost the ICM. I pulled a new one out of the trunk and installed it in 30 minutes. Back on the road!!

Time to buy another ICM!
Macarchie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good discussion... good information.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out the obvious omission; the essential elements of the "redneck" toolkit. (Duct tape and WD-40). If it moves and it is not suppose to, use the duct tape... if it doesn't move and it is suppose to, use the WD-40.

But seriously, I will be pulling a toolkit together based on this discussion - thanks.

- Jimmy

------------------
1987 coupe; Blue; 2.5L; 5spd

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not really when you consider that even new cars brake down.

I worked for GM assembly plants over many years and can tell you from experience that even brand new cars off the assembly line can and do brake down. when I was repair I was asked to take one home all the time, at least once a month because I was utility repair, absentee replacement, plant wide. I can tell you stories that would curl your hair about brand new cars braking down. This was during the time our Fieros were made, 1973 to 1991

But that is not what we are driving now is it, they are at least 25+ years old and have many 25+ year old parts in them. There was a thing I read many years ago when working there, that there are 25,000 moving parts in a car all of those are subject to wear. and that's not the electronic parts that can go when you say Boo or have a short, power surge or drop. having the most common of those on hand for immediate replacement can save your ass when you are out on the road no where near a parts store, on a Sunday, out of cell phone range or any other time when anything can happen.

oh ya and if no one has mentioned it already, add a flashlight to that list, indispensable at night and even sometimes during the daytime.

Better safe than sorry.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 03-27-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock