When should you replace heater hoses? by masospaghetti
Started on: 05-20-2012 12:04 AM
Replies: 13 (1721 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 04-27-2014 08:41 AM
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should heater hoses be replaced as often as radiator hoses?

The Fiero has a bunch of them and AFAIK, mine are all original. They don't look bad (no cracking or swelling) but they are pushing 27 years old now...

Thanks all.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hoses attached to the heater core are hard to locate. Just insure that the hoses aren't cracking or bulging. On my 25 year old Fiero the hoses were replaced once years ago and still seem to be in good shape. When I replaced the heater core, I kept the old hoses in place.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I somehow "suspect" that the 26 year old hoses, if they are still soft, not bulging or cracked, MAY "still be better" than the New Chinese hoses available today !
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your input.

The reason I'm asking was, yes, the heater hoses are hard to find in parts stores - but it seems logical that heater hoses and radiator hoses should be replaced at the same time, even though I rarely do.
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

Should heater hoses be replaced as often as radiator hoses?

The Fiero has a bunch of them and AFAIK, mine are all original. They don't look bad (no cracking or swelling) but they are pushing 27 years old now...

Thanks all.

Replace them before you see this:

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

[This message has been edited by nmw75 (edited 05-23-2012).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always replaced mine AFTER they leaked. Definitely replace them if they leak!
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nmw75: Did you mean, replace them now before they fail, or replace them when they start to leak?

Any other comments on the subject? Do you replace your heater hoses or keep riding with the originals?
kalel14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kalel14Send a Private Message to kalel14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two weeks ago I noticed that one heater hose coming from the water pump had to be original. It still had all the factory markings and numbers replacement hoses lack. I was already changing radiator hoses that were also original (and swollen) so I figured what the hell. It looked fine, but the system was already drained and it was easy to get to.

It was stuck to the water pump so I grabbed a utility knife to cut it away. The knife went through the hose like I was cutting butter. Near zero pressure applied, one swipe.

So don't judge a book by its cover, or a hose by its appearance.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heater, engine-pipe and radiator hoses that are 25 years old should be changed. You will either end up changing them now or end up changing them later. Trouble is that later may be 50 miles from home in the rain in an area with no cell service. Changing water hoses is cheap insurance. Far cheaper than a towing bill and a service station repair.
As for hoses I use Gates, Goodyear and NAPA hoses. They are still made in the USA or Mexico.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only replace as needed. Either I see a leak, hose feels soft or spongy, or has bulges or cracks. Ive seen specially shaped/molded hoses stay in good condition on older cars for 40 years with no problem. On older Ford engines, I dont think I remember ever having to replace the short 3" hose that connects water pump to timing cover except when i put a new pump on (think that was on the old ' Y ' blocks)
rickburns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rickburnsSend a Private Message to rickburnsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine are original (85) and still look new. Hate to replace when they look so good. Have owned the car since 86.
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Hoses attached to the heater core are hard to locate. .

Should not be. The heater core hoses that were not available for a long time I have in stock now. 88 with A/C and 84 with A/C. If there are any coolant hoses that are not available let me know and I'll look to have them made.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney beat me to the punch.

Kevin
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I only replace as needed. Either I see a leak, hose feels soft or spongy, or has bulges or cracks. Ive seen specially shaped/molded hoses stay in good condition on older cars for 40 years with no problem. On older Ford engines, I dont think I remember ever having to replace the short 3" hose that connects water pump to timing cover except when i put a new pump on (think that was on the old ' Y ' blocks)

I think its our age Roger, if it ain't broke don't fix it. but I got to agree, mine are originals and are not showing any problems so as said, if it ain't broke don't fix it. My 1979 GMC yard plow still has all the original hoses on it and it get driven when ever we have snow, any time I have fencing to do around the farm or just need to do something that needs a full time 4 wheel drive truck, it doesn't have 2 wheel drive.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-27-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock