door rattle!!!!!!!! by Bleau29
Started on: 05-18-2012 04:48 PM
Replies: 19 (1320 views)
Last post by: BrittB on 03-28-2014 02:32 PM
Bleau29

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bleau29Send a Private Message to Bleau29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My passenger and driver side door on my 88 has started to rattle, they sound like they arent shut all the way. Just running down the road I dont hear any noises, rattles, air, etc. But if i was to hit a bump or a little rough spot they sound like they are open or not shut all the way. Ive checked and everything seems to be in good order but I cant place what it is.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gmctyphoon1992

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you pulled the interior door panel off yet to see if anything is loose?
there could be a bolt or a nut or something on the floor of the door causing it to bounce and make noise when you hit a bump.. (happened to me.. couldnt figure it out what that noise was until a bolt fell out of a hole in the corner of the door)
have you tried to make the noise sound by moving the door back and forth to pin point the noise better?
Check the felt guides on the top of the door with the interior panel off..
does the window have any play?
Have you checked the door brackets in the front of the door to see if they might be loose? (also happened to me a simple tightening and the door wasnt moving anymore up and down when i hit a bump causing a noise)

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Gt (fully optioned, factory leather, 5-speed, CJB T-Tops: Black w/ gray interior and blk wheels)
1992 GMC Typhoon #0203
1971Chevorlet Corvette 454cu/ LS5/ 4-speed/ convertible
1993 BMW 850 Ci 6-speed V-12

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 05-18-2012).]

Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably worn door striker pins, or latches. There are some doorman Ford striker pins people have used to tighten up the latch.
Bleau29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bleau29Send a Private Message to Bleau29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I havnt had the door panel off yet, but it doenst seem like there is anything in the door loose. But i could be wrong, and yes the windows are very loose. I bouth this fiero for $500, its a 88 with the 2.5 and 3speed w 130000mi. It had sat for 7 years out under a tree, plus Im entirely new to Fieros so im lost. There are several puzziling issues with it.
Bleau29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bleau29Send a Private Message to Bleau29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bleau29

45 posts
Member since May 2012

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

Probably worn door striker pins, or latches. There are some doorman Ford striker pins people have used to tighten up the latch.

Would you know where I could possibly order the strikers or latches new?
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dont think there are any NOS latches left, but this thread is what I was talking about.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-101817.html
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Ford door pin will fix you up. The old ones might look pretty good, but they are worn just enough to make the noise. Get rid of the rubber part.

and good luck with your new Fiero!....there are lots of odd things to learn on these cars, esp. if they have sat under a tree for 7 years!

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-18-2012).]

Bleau29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bleau29Send a Private Message to Bleau29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes! that is exactly what mine is doing, Ole kyle here is gonna make a trip to napa tomorrow. Thankyou guys a million!
Bleau29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bleau29Send a Private Message to Bleau29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bleau29

45 posts
Member since May 2012

Originally posted by Gall757:

That Ford door pin will fix you up. The old ones might look pretty good, but they are worn just enough to make the noise. Get rid of the rubber part.

and good luck with your new Fiero!....there are lots of odd things to learn on these cars, esp. if they have sat under a tree for 7 years!

Thanks! Ive always wanted one amd when I came across mine I just sprang and bought it on an impulse. Its pretty rough, but it runs, drives, everything works save for the cruise and A/C. so i think i did well
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look around a lot. Previous owner of my car flattened out the lid to a can of Skoal and used it to hold up the headliner by tucking it behind the plastic at the top of the door. Over time that lid worked it's way down behind the plastic and was the noisiest SOB ever. Took me quite a while to find that thing.
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to your autoparts HELP section and grab a $8 Door striker for a Ford. Cut the plastic bushing off and then replace your factory striker. Your door will true up and stop rattling. Worked perfectly for me.
PFF
System Bot
Bleau29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bleau29Send a Private Message to Bleau29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks eveerybody for the replys, I found the problem. It was the door striker issue, so Im gonna make a trip to napa to find the ford strikers. Thanks to everyone for the help, i would have never guessd that what it was, I thought my doors were going to fall off one day when i went around a curve lol.

No skoal cans yet, but on another note the previous owner was a HEAVY smoker...... so im chasing ciggerette butts and burns. -_-
Ry86GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2012 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are all ford strikers the same? Or should I be looking for one off of a certain year/model.

My new to me Fiero has this issue on the driver's door, I can feel the door assembly boucning under my arm over larger bumps while driving. It's minor but I'd like to fix it. Thanks in advace for any advice.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2012 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2012 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which bolt is the striker bolt? Is it the one that meets the door locking mechanism (door to frame)?
Thanks!
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2012 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another thing to check is the mirror, there are bolts/screws behind it, you can get to from the edges of the mirror.
When they get loose they cause a rattle, when the door is shut, hit bumps etc. sounds just like the door itself has a rattle.
I have seen it MANY times on Fieros.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

black84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black84seSend a Private Message to black84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old topic but I did the ford striker fix today and my car is quiet and smooth. Car made little bumps feel like the car was going to fall apart. And the constant rattle and squeals are also gone. Best $16 spent...........HELP! brand striker bolt for a FORD #38421

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another way for me to determine my striker bolt swas the issue is with the windows up there was no rattle, the window kept the door from shaking.

black84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for black84seSend a Private Message to black84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Another way for me to determine my striker bolt swas the issue is with the windows up there was no rattle, the window kept the door from shaking.

My door jumped around and rattled even when the windows were all the way up. I had my door panels off for a couple days and I could not locate anything in the door and started searching the forum. The lower part of the glass would allow air in and now the new striker closes the door tight enough to seal the window gap I had.

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I had a door rattle but I found out it's coming from the area where the gas door lever is. It will have to wait until I replace the headliner which will be after the rainy season moves on so I can do the smelly work outdoors!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock