88' swaybar bushings - will these fit? by Axl_Rose
Started on: 05-15-2012 02:03 PM
Replies: 15 (700 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 10-13-2013 04:07 PM
Axl_Rose

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Axl_RoseSend a Private Message to Axl_RoseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys,

So i need new bushings for the swaybar mounts and i may have found a source of universals that would fit:

http://www.energysuspension...tail.asp?prod=9.5163

this bracket/bushing set is for a 28mm bar and from what i gathered from another thread these brackets should be ok for the distance between mounting bolts. i think it was blooz who measured from center to center for the front to be 2-3/4"(thanks blooz) Is there any other critical dimentions im missing? What about the distance fromt he center of the bar to the frame? is that a critical dimmention? it has all the remaining dim's on the website.

Thanks Guys,

Dan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's really the only things that matter (size of the swaybar & distance between bolts).
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No - they will not fit.

The front sway bar bushings on the 88 have a flat side - not rounded as shown in the picture.

With patience, they might be trimmed to fit the stock bushing clamp.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

No - they will not fit.

The front sway bar bushings on the 88 have a flat side - not rounded as shown in the picture.

With patience, they might be trimmed to fit the stock bushing clamp.

I just looked at the link & they DO have a flat side. No need to use the stock clamps if these have the same distance between the holes.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Axl_Rose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Axl_RoseSend a Private Message to Axl_RoseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah...as far as i can see, they def have a flat side to them. I ordered them yesterday, and ill be sure to post a follow up when they get here. A whole 20 bucks with shipping so even if they dont fit, ill only be out 20 bucks

Thanks Again,

Dan
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there was a thread about these just the other day.

The zerk fittings are not going to be in the "right place" for adding grease under the Fiero.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The product, as pictured in the link, will not fit the front of an 88 Fiero.

Look at the front end of your car, at the bushings you want to replace, and see what they look like.
Axl_Rose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Axl_RoseSend a Private Message to Axl_RoseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The product, as pictured in the link, will not fit the front of an 88 Fiero.

Look at the front end of your car, at the bushings you want to replace, and see what they look like.

I understand what you are saying now. I will more than likely wind up trimming some material off the bushing to use with the old bracket.
Axl_Rose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Axl_RoseSend a Private Message to Axl_RoseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Axl_Rose

138 posts
Member since Jan 2011
The people at energy suspention parts are VERY nice and made my order change super easy! I switched to the non greaseable bushings without the zurk fittings with part number 9.513. They should fit without too much of a fuss, and i know that part # has been referenced on this forum before...if they need a little trimming or modification, its alright. Ill be sure to update when they come in.

Thanks Guys,

Dan
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drill and tap them, and put in your own zerk fittings in a convenient location.
Axl_Rose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Axl_RoseSend a Private Message to Axl_RoseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Drill and tap them, and put in your own zerk fittings in a convenient location.

yeap, thats what my plans are as of now. ill let you all know how it turns out when completed. Thanks Again!

Dan

PFF
System Bot
Axl_Rose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Axl_RoseSend a Private Message to Axl_RoseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an update...

They fit great! no issues what so ever. Here are some pics for anyone who was interested.

Thanks All,

Dan
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone else found a replacement bushing, poly or rubber?

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Axl_Rose:

Just an update...

They fit great! no issues what so ever. Here are some pics for anyone who was interested.

Thanks All,

Dan

same thing I did for my 88 front. I had the zerk fittings, I just removed them before I installed everything.

RJ
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is from my front suspension build thread:

88 swaybar bushings are a pain. I took a different route as usual. A friend of mine gave me a pair of spare 1 1/8" bushings from his Mustang. I figured what the heck...

Unfortuneately, I did not get pics of the process, so words will have to do.

I had to trim about a 1/8" off each side edge of the bracket so that the bracket was narrow enough to fit in the raised edges of the bushing. Then I used a Dremel with a flapper wheel to cut a v-shaped grove around the middle of the bushing. Once the bushing would seat into the bracket, I needed to grind the flat into the bushing. (This is all obvious if you have the pieces in your hand.) Once the bushing seats all the way into the bracket, the bottom of the bushing will need to be trimmed off. I left about 1/16" overhang. A little sandblasting and paint and this is what you should have.

Fits perfect on the bar.

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 09-14-2013).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For anyone who's used these bushings...

The zerk fitting is in the wrong place on the 9.5163 bushing to clear the '88 Fiero front sub-frame.

But the 9.5130 bushing doesn't appear to have any grooves in the poly to at least initially apply the proper grease.

I wonder if the poly from the 9.5163 bushing can be bought with the bracket from the 9.5130 bushing?

Or just get the 9.5163 bushing and remove the zerk and plug the hole?

So many questions for such a simple task!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-13-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock