Started on: 05-13-2012 03:06 PM
Replies: 16 (680 views)
Last post by: revin on 03-11-2015 02:41 PM
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2012 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello..
anyone know if that connector that connects the seat headrest wire to the wire on the floor, used by g.m. any other place/car..
can't find a 84-85 car in junkyard to grab the wire harness.. for the connectors...
can't see g.m. only use'n that connector only here..
my radio head unit, from 1998 kenwood allows you to turn on and off the internal amp..
I want to use this feature and wire the head rest drivers as the rear and pass headrest as the fronts.. this way when playing sports radio or talk radio/news I can have the headrest speakers on.. and the volume low.. wiring those headrest speakers to the amp in the car would kill them.. so I'll wire them for use when not rocking out..
rather not cut the factory harness, just need to find a connector that came out of the floor, so I can run wire to pass side..seat..
any help thanks..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
x2
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you post a picture of said connector?
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the seat side of the connector

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exactly, so I need the female side.

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011

Need that connector.

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011
NOTE: Some of you may see the part number on the wiring, it reads 3468.

-Mitch
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Closest I could find:

http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/radio.html

"The style of radio socket/connector shown above is commonly used on 73-77 GM pickups and many Chevy cars (except Camaros and Novas) starting in 1971. I believe Novas used this connector style for 1977 only. It features three separate connectors, all of which use female Pack-Con terminals. The 3-terminal power/light/ground connector is part of the under-dash harness and the wire color coding on this is usually:

Radio ground = black
+12V feed to radio = yellow
Dial light = gray

The 4-terminal and 3-terminal speaker connectors are part of the speaker harness(es) and the wire color coding depends on the particular radio and application. Not all wires/terminals are used for single speaker and front/rear mono applications. The speaker harnesses on some 2-speaker stereo setups ran one speaker off the front, the other off the rear, and used 5 foot sections of 2 Ohms-per-foot resistance wire (10 Ohms total) to take the place of the other two speakers.

Some stereo radios use a very similar looking connector except it has a 4-terminal (instead of 3-terminal) connector for the rear speakers; giving each rear speaker it's own ground/return wire.

Some of these radios featured a digital tuner and clock display. These will have an additional 2-wire pigtail/socket on the back with orange and brown wires that are connected as shown for the following style."
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's 100% the bottom green and black connector. I just need to find one now.

Thanks!!!

-Mitch
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gm part number for the radio harness to the seats is 20423468 has been discontuined and no replacement part or pigtails availabe. I did check the ac delco pigtail chart, 2 pigtails look like they mey work, both are female ends. these are 4 cavity connectors.

pt703 (12126432) corresponds to ec87 at napa
pt465 (12117332) did not cross to either napa or az

dan

[This message has been edited by bonaduce (edited 03-06-2015).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a thought: Is it worth any trouble to get a connector? Why not just cut and solder? In six years and two Fieros I've never removed or installed a seat, let alone one with speakers.

They were only offered for a short time and many if not most are no longer working. If you have to take the seat out again you'll have to cut and solder (or use some other connectors such as RCA, stereo plugs or mini-plugs, or a DIN connector), but in the mean time there will be only one joint to go bad. No one can see back there. Not even prospective buyers.

It sounds like you plan to run wires anyway. Maybe the best thing would be to replace the speakers (see Mr. Mike's (Seats) web page) and run wires all the way from there to the radio. Maybe you could attach a stereo headset connector at the radio end. Then if you decided to remove the seats you would only have to fish the wires out. You could still install them in another car or put them back in after repairs or mods, etc.

Even better you could get bluetooth speakers and just run power to them. That would give you even more options, such as using your phone or tablet to drive the headrest speakers, with or without the radio being on. For instance, you could have a mapping program on a phone or tablet use the headrest speakers and at the same time use the twentieth century radio for music. Wired stereo is getting pretty passe, like rearview mirrors.

[This message has been edited by 85 SE VIN 9 (edited 03-08-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2015 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

Just a thought: Is it worth any trouble to get a connector? Why not just cut and solder? In six years and two Fieros I've never removed or installed a seat, let alone one with speakers.

They were only offered for a short time and many if not most are no longer working. If you have to take the seat out again you'll have to cut and solder (or use some other connectors such as RCA, stereo plugs or mini-plugs, or a DIN connector), but in the mean time there will be only one joint to go bad. No one can see back there. Not even prospective buyers.

It sounds like you plan to run wires anyway. Maybe the best thing would be to replace the speakers (see Mr. Mike's (Seats) web page) and run wires all the way from there to the radio. Maybe you could attach a stereo headset connector at the radio end. Then if you decided to remove the seats you would only have to fish the wires out. You could still install them in another car or put them back in after repairs or mods, etc.

Even better you could get bluetooth speakers and just run power to them. That would give you even more options, such as using your phone or tablet to drive the headrest speakers, with or without the radio being on. For instance, you could have a mapping program on a phone or tablet use the headrest speakers and at the same time use the twentieth century radio for music. Wired stereo is getting pretty passe, like rearview mirrors.

Car is an Indy..
I do take the seats out, easier to work under dash/etc
the speakers do work
and I'd rather not cut the cars wiring.. and why I'd like to find the connector that plug into the seat,
I doubt, g.m. only used the connectors, here..
the in seat speakers was for 2 years, out of a 5 year run..

I can very easily cut and wire in different connectors.. I'm try'n not to go that route..
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would go with just getting a pair of known good 4-wire connectors and splice them instead of the original ones. I don't see this harming the originality of the car and it will save you your time and money.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a place that has all sorts of connectors but no website. You call them on the phone. Supposed to be real reasonable. Someone on the forum has the number or you might be able to find it by searching.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here you have some power supply connectors from a PC. You can buy them at any computer store, look almost the same as the headrest ones, they are called molex sockets:

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cebix:

Here you have some power supply connectors from a PC. You can buy them at any computer store, look almost the same as the headrest ones, they are called molex sockets:

Great suggestion! I'm building a custm gaming PC and I rewired a bunch of stuff and I didn't even think of those!

For those of you trying to figure out why on earth I'm trying so hard to find connectors,

Its for my chairs in my shop... I'm hooking them up to my receiver and want to be able to quick disconnect them without having those ugly crimp blade connectors...
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
trailer light harness.
has the 4 prongs you want, and you could tuck them in the seat to hide them?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock