Click here to visit The Fiero Store | View all sponsors
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
   Source of 4.9L swap front engine mount bracket?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Source of 4.9L swap front engine mount bracket? by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 05-13-2012 01:17 PM
Replies: 12 (424 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 05-15-2012 08:24 AM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
Rate this member

05-13-2012 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Experimenting with my first 4.9L swap right now. The 4T60e uses std 4T60 brackets and stock Fiero mounts. The engine left side is easy to fab using an L channel and a prothane poly mount. I was just wondering if anyone is making and selling the right side engine bracket that goes to the front cradle bracket? I can make one but rather save some time and purchase it.

Found it at West Coast Fiero $75. Seem to fit the budget.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-13-2012).]

IP: Logged

Reallybig

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

05-13-2012 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I couldn't find one either. I ended up fabricating just about everything for my 4.9 swap. The few things I did order still have not arrived or were near impossibe to find. For the most part I'm never happy with stuff I have to order as it is seldom what I actually want. Good luck though!

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

05-13-2012 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Click Here to Email josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis I have an AutoCad image I can send you for a pre 88 cradle. After printing it, a local welding shop made it for me for $25.00. PM me your E address and I will can it to you as an attachment.
-Joe

Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

05-13-2012 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i got mine from west coast fiero but when i was cruising their site not to long ago i couldnt seem to find it. maybe you could call them?

mattwa

Feedback score:    (36)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

05-13-2012 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaClick Here to Email mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Dennis I have an AutoCad image I can send you for a pre 88 cradle. After printing it, a local welding shop made it for me for $25.00. PM me your E address and I will can it to you as an attachment.
-Joe

And I'm the one that currently has this bracket!

But otherwise I would have made it myself, I made all the mounts for my 3800/F23.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

05-13-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

-Joe

Thanks much email sent

And I'm the one that currently has this bracket!

But otherwise I would have made it myself, I made all the mounts for my 3800/F23.

Yeah making mounts is not that hard but I sometimes farm it out to save time. I have a mig, drill press, chop and band saws, a supply of metal so whats the big deal, right?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

mattwa

Feedback score:    (36)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

05-13-2012 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaClick Here to Email mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Yeah making mounts is not that hard but I sometimes farm it out to save time. I have a mig, drill press, chop and band saws, a supply of metal so whats the big deal, right?

If you can get it made for $25, sure why not. Problem is I just don't have that extra money to spend right now....

Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

05-14-2012 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinClick Here to Email Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have said it before.... Use a front engine mount from a 1981 to 1984 north south caddy. Then two pieces of angle on the 'Fiero frame to meet it. Nothing could be easier...

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

05-14-2012 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark A. Klein:

I have said it before.... Use a front engine mount from a 1981 to 1984 north south caddy. Then two pieces of angle on the 'Fiero frame to meet it. Nothing could be easier...

The Northstar engine wasn't made until 1995. In 1981-1984 Cadillac used the infamous HT-4100 (4.1L) engine that brought all types of problems with it.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 223
Rate this member

05-14-2012 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

North/South = Longitudinal

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

05-14-2012 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark A. Klein:

I'd love to see a picture of this setup if you know where one is!

jtsordel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

05-15-2012 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jtsordelSend a Private Message to jtsordelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieroseverywhere fabricated the mounts on my swap using scrap metal he had laying around the garage. You could try sending him a PM to see if he can send you the pencil drawings we made and took pictures of (they're on his camera or I would post them).

Thanks!!!

Josh

olejoedad

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

05-15-2012 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You only need 4 mounts to keep the drivetrain under control - the two stock-style tranny mounts and two fabricated mounts for the engine.

The front mount uses the Caddy stamping and brace rod and is attached to a fabricated mount on the front crossmember, the rear mount is angle iron welded to the trans-to engine reinforcement plate, it is the attached to a weldment on the rear cradle crossmember. Use urethane biscuits, large fender washers and double nut the bolts.

The 5th mount under the balancer is completely unnecessary.

PM me your email and I'll send you some pictures.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 05-15-2012).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock