Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Spark Plugs - Which are the best for stock 2.8L?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Spark Plugs - Which are the best for stock 2.8L? by NetCam
Started on: 05-10-2012 09:45 PM
Replies: 35 (5978 views)
Last post by: Knight on 03-19-2014 10:25 AM
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to do the first tuneup on my 85 GT. What are the best plugs for the V6? On my old bike I used NGK Iridium and they were pretty amazing. Do they make them for the 2.8L V6? Also, I've heard some stories about how hard it is to get at them. Is this true of overstated, as a lot of Fiero tales are?

Any other 'best' choices for tuneup parts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use the stock AC plugs and you will be happy.

I screwed them in one of my 2.8`s thus far, and another set will be screwed in before the Dells Run in the other.

Yup, used AC in the 2.5 Fiero as well.

Remember, these are 25-30 year old ignition systems.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-10-2012 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just simple one strap basic AC delco designed for your fiero
the passenger side front is difficult to install if you have A/C
A good idea to soak it in penetrant,overnight before removal
there is a small performance gain to index 60o V6 spark plugs
at least make sure the strap does not block the spark for best performance
or at least point them all the same way,with in reason
use a plug socket with the rubber still in it
I install the spark plugs from the bottom
it is easier if you remove engine lid & do it from top
but Im to lazy to remove hood lid
make sure the valve cover nuts are tight.good & snug

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 05-10-2012).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use any normal plugs. If they have a sale/rebate Most platinum can be used.
Changing plugs every 3-4 year max or rust can, likely will, cause headaches for Fiero owners. (Faster in Rust Belt areas.)

DIS2, 87-88 Duke and some swap V6, Hates Bosch Platinum.

Use search for more.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting the front bank spark plugs changed is not very bad if you remove the air tube between the air cleaner housing and the throttle body, and then reach along the front side of the engine. You can easily reach all of the plugs and get a good grip on the boots.

All you need is a good sense of feel, a 3/8 ratchet and plug socket, and long arms. Do one cylinder at a time and make sure the plug wires don't touch the manifold.

armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a highly overrated job IMO. First time I did it, I was relieved it wasn't near the ordeal I had been led to believe. Some people lay on the engine and look at them, I'm not sure why, but whatever. I just find them with my hand, put the socket on them and remove them. The hardest part is sometimes the boots are hard to pull from the awkward angle.
I get frustrated with the V6 alternator though, or working on the rear brakes. Everybody has a different nemesis I guess.

I might be wrong, but I've always been under the impression copper plugs are best in the short term, and the advantage of platinum and iridium is just longevity. Since corrosion can be a problem on the firewall side plugs, you don't want to leave them in for too long, so copper is the best choice. That's also the type of plug GM had in mind when they designed this ignition system, but I don't know how much that really matters.
I haven't been through enough plugs to have an independent opinion on brand, but ACDelco R42TS and NGK V-Power are widely recommended. I used Autolite last time but don't have enough context to say if they're good or bad. My next set waiting to go in are the Delcos.

I always used Delco in my old 2.5 car, but it's been so long since I drove it that I can't give much opinion of them. But I was happy with them apparently.

[This message has been edited by armos (edited 05-11-2012).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NGK UR4's

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As for leaving them in too long doesn't anti seize help? The copper plugs are rated for 30k miles I think.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by armos:

That's also the type of plug GM had in mind when they designed this ignition system, but I don't know how much that really matters.

From what I hear if you run a fancy one like an E3 or diamondfire it over works all the parts that lead up to the plug, parts in the distributor, and can shorten their life.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to repeat a lot of the above.

AC Delco all the way. Don't use any other plug.

Getting to the front ones is not hard. I hit them with some PB blaster, let sit a day, then hit them again and let sit. I then get a 6" long extension on a spark plug socket. It reaches just onto the plug, while putting your ratchet right where it needs to be so it's not too high or too low in regards to what's around it.

Never broken a front plug and never had any other issues doing it this way. I typically remove the decklid too but you can do it without doing that if you have a flashlight and extra minutes of patience.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another vote for AC Delcos on the 2.8. I tried many and ACs ran smoother. I used NGKs too but ACs are cheaper.
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Another vote for AC Delcos on the 2.8. I tried many and ACs ran smoother. I used NGKs too but ACs are cheaper.

Yes, but the criteria was "best" and not "cheapest" :-)
firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock AC Delco’s (make sure they are the stock one’s. AC Delco does make “high performance” plugs). Early GM fuel injected cars (early 80’s thru mid 90’s) have programming in the ECM that relies on several known factors including the heat and duration of the flame front which is dramatically affected by the heat and duration of the spark. While there might be some aftermarket plugs that have similar enough specs to match the stock plugs most do not and there isn’t any way to tell. Changing the plugs changes the performance of the flame front and the ECM doesn’t know it’s changed so it can’t react appropriately. I specialized in GM onboard computers during most of that time and I spend a lot of time replacing aftermarket plugs (in all kinds of GM’s) because of “it just doesn’t feel right” drivability complaints. The AC Delco plugs weren’t always the only problem but they did always make the car run better. Go with the AC Delco’s.
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by firejo24:
Stock AC Delco’s (make sure they are the stock one’s. AC Delco does make “high performance” plugs). Early GM fuel injected cars (early 80’s thru mid 90’s) have programming in the ECM that relies on several known factors including the heat and duration of the flame front which is dramatically affected by the heat and duration of the spark. While there might be some aftermarket plugs that have similar enough specs to match the stock plugs most do not and there isn’t any way to tell.

The only problem I have with that is I don't know how much we can really assume any of today's ACDelco parts are the same as they were 25 years ago. After so many years they might just be another name on a box.
But if experience shows their plugs run better, then that's the bottom line so I'll happily run them.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll admit I was partial to the NGK plugs, but after reading the responses there are some very good arguments for the AC Delco plugs. I will be going with them, thanks all!

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 05-25-2012).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Yes, but the criteria was "best" and not "cheapest" :-)

Exactly. And I gave the correct answer. The ACs are best for this application
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm using Bosch Iridium on the theory that I won't have to change them again, but I can't point to any improvement in mileage. I also added a higher performance coil and larger wires on the theory that the Iridium plugs need more power to function effectively. The ICM died within a month, but a new one has lasted over a year since then.

The idea that the ECM can't take advantage of such improvements seems a little weak - can't the ECM be tweaked to take advantage of the newer plugs, etc.?

If I had it to do over I wouldn't bother with the better plugs, wires, and coil simply because they don't seem to be necessary; Fieros seem to run great on old plugs.

I subscribe to the long arms, lie across the engine plug-changing strategy. Pull the boot, then put the socket on, then figure out what extensions and swivels you need to turn it. My front plugs were very loose. Fifteen foot-lbs seems to be the proper torque, but they work loose anyway.

I asked a similar question of Summit Racing before this project. I didn't take that advice, but it seems to have been good. Bosch has some good advice about spark plugs and heat ranges and not using silicone because it damages the O2 sensor. I think the site I bought them from is sparkplugs.com, in California. It also had some specific recommendations.
firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The statement I was making was referring to a stock ECM setup. If you have the ability to program the ECM (or prom to be more accurate) then there is a lot you can do (hotter plugs, multiple firing coil, etc…) but most people don’t go down that road and as you’ve pointed out “Fiero’s seem to run great on old plugs”. I must also admit that of all of the older GM’s I’ve worked on over the years Fiero’s (along with Vette’s) did always seem to run the best. Nice clean simple ignitions and fuel injection systems without trying to “over do it”.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero ECM is not that complicated. It really doesn't care what plugs you put in as long as you match the plug gap to the compression of your engine. From there it's all about the plug itself.
DAVES85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DAVES85GTClick Here to visit DAVES85GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to DAVES85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have always put AC rapidfire in all my GM cars and change them every 50,000, the Fiero V6
you might be able to go longer? I never seem to keep mine long enough to find out, on my 19th one currently.

------------------
D A V E ' S
FIERO
GT

Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old thread revive since I'm currently looking into plugs myself.

I have Champion RV15YC4 currently (also did cap/rotor/wires when I bought the car Jan. '12 and corrected a poor initial timing setting), but I'm getting close to the interval for copper plugs (current plugs are showing some wear), and I'm debating on a switch to platinum.

I'm curious if anyone has any back-to-back experience between copper and platinum. My '92 full size pickup averaged 24.5mpg (4.3, 3.08 gearing) on its drive from Michigan to Arizona, and I also found that with stock replacement Delco coppers, it failed emissions horribly (no testing in MI) compared to just a minor failure with the Bosch platinums that were already in it (turned out I needed a new cat beside the fact). I since built a 383 for the same truck, and it had a seemingly intermittent miss around 1900-2100rpm with replacement copper plugs (Vortec heads, not TBI heads), which was resolved with stock replacement platinum plugs (happened to be Bosch as well).

The total price difference between the copper and platinum plugs I'm looking at is only about $.50 per plug, so a grand price spread of about $3.
PFF
System Bot
rcm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The po had bosch platnums and I replaced with good ol ac delco.Runs better...
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Bosch Platinum Plus plug in my 2.8 and have for years. There is one primary reason I use the Bosch Platinum plugs instead of Delco plugs. The Delco plugs have a carbon steel outer sleeve that is black in color (paint?, electro-coating?) My car is a hobby car and never sees rain. The Delco plugs always acquire a heavy coat of rust on the outer threaded sleeve. The Bosch Platinum plugs have an outer sleeve that appears to be nickel plated and they do not rust.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed that about the Bosches as well. I never had a problem removing them in my truck, even after about 3 years of driving.

Something else I noticed that's irked me the past few days. I had what I thought was an exhaust leak that's gotten worse as I was driving the car, turned out not one but 3 plugs had loosened up slightly (maybe 1 full turn tops, the plug wires kept them from coming out too far)... 1 on the rear bank and 2 on the front bank. I only discovered it because I removed the plugs to see what kinda shape they were in. Has anyone else had this happen? The plugs don't feel like there is any 'stretch' like you feel when torquing a bolt down, I don't know if the threads have just hardened that much or what, but with the torque I'm applying, they don't feel normal compared to past spark plugs I've changed.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

As for leaving them in too long doesn't anti seize help? The copper plugs are rated for 30k miles I think.

Antisieze works great. Always use it on plug threads. As for plug choice...R42TS A/C.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 11-13-2013).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Taper seat plugs go finger tight plus one sixteenth of a turn.......

Hi Kevin!
ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed some NGK UR55IX Iridiums in my 84 Indy 2.5 and noticed that it ran smoother ( better idle was very noticeable).
Someone posed the question regarding the differences between the stock AC plugs from 1984 vs. the 2013 AC version.
There must have been changes ( improvements?) along the way to the point where the new one is much different that the
original plug.
VF1Skullangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had bosch plugs in my car, it ran like **** , then I replaced them with the AC Delco ones and it runs a lot better.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To the top again......

How about the E3 plugs. We run them in our 1996 4.3 Vortec Blazer and there was a noted power and economy improvements.

My Fiero does not have a stock ignition, I have an MSD Coil, MSD Digital 6AL Box, MSD Wires, MSD Cap and Rotor plus a rebuilt distributor with the heat sink mod on the bottom under the module.

The one benefit I can see to the E3 is that the plug electrode is actually so big, that it decreased head chamber volume slightly, giving a small boost in compression ratio. Plus having multiple strike points for the plug it might help with fouling out.

When the Fiero programing in the ECM was written they had no idea we would all be running 10% or more Ethanol in our fuel, and frankly the cars are not designed to use it. I am running about 15 degree's timing to compensate for it. So far between 13 and 15 is the sweet spot. (13 in the summer, 15 in the winter)

So E3 Plugs, what do you think about them. Anyone got any comments. I normally just run NGK UR5's and they last about a year (10,000 miles) on my MSD Ignition.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought Bosch platinum plugs for my 85GT 2.8 v6. The electrode doesn't even protrude form the porcelain insulation. There is just a small pinhole, and one strap of course. My car does burn oil a bit.
Should I just get delcos and not even bother with these boschs? Especially that the spark plug job seems to be a PITA. My car hasn't had service in a long while I can see. Those plugs must be on pretty bad, but they have been well oiled.The valve covers are leaking all over everything and the rear main leaks too. At .89 cents a plug it isn't worth return shipping to return them to rock auto i guess.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple weeks ago I did my plugs... was considering platinum, but it happened that we had the correct size copper AC plugs in stock, so I used those.

I also discovered the exhaust leak I mentioned is from the manifold, the rear passenger side was missing a bolt - or so I thought... the 'missing' bolt is broken in the head, far enough in that I'll have to drill it to remove it.
PFF
System Bot
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Used ngk u-groove and a v nothed plug in the past. I am running RapidFires right now with MSD coil in stock location, guided by a Summit sourced distributor with MSD brass red cap, and Taylor 8.8 wires. Runs real strong, fires right up and is very responsive.
IIRC, thry are copper plugs.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it's a GM car stick with AC deco,
Ford stick with FORMOCO
Stick with the brand made for the car and you will never regret it. Get the proper heat range and numbers tell you the right plug to use. I have owned GM, Ford, Dodge over the decades and that has never been wrong. A little bit of neverseze doesn't hurt as well. just enough, never glob it on there and you will never have any problems removing them, and I have lived most of my life in New England.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's an informative page:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.co...stallation/index.asp

I've used UR4's on a stock 2.8 but on my 9.9:1 compression 3.4 I used UR5's...
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lets go back about 14 years to this thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...010219-2-004646.html
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow...!
Old Lar, I am amazed that vinny did not get banned. Was that before the rating system and The Trash Can catagory? I kept reading as disturbing as it was, just becuase i wondered how it would end.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock