Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Need pics of the 88 power steering rack (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Need pics of the 88 power steering rack by Rickady88GT
Started on: 05-10-2012 01:18 AM
Replies: 41 (2070 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 06-16-2015 06:02 PM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see some pics of the original 88 Power steering rack.

Thanks, Rick.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See following PFF member post:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/083104.html

------------------
Now new owner of a Black TTop 88 Fiero GT and owner of a Silver 88 Fiero GT. Also a second time owner of an 85 Fiero GT. Bought my first fully loaded Red Fiero GT new in 1985. Fiero's are Fabulous, Fix'em and have Fun! Note, Avatar picture is Mr. Bean (not me, ha ha).

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a couple of photos on my 88 EHPS. It is a bit dirty but I hope to, clean it up and install it on one of the 88 Meras later this year after I get new hydraulic lines.

Nelson

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Here are a couple of photos on my 88 EHPS. It is a bit dirty but I hope to, clean it up and install it on one of the 88 Meras later this year after I get new hydraulic lines.

Nelson

Thanks for the pics. Could you get me some closer pics of the rack.
Also wondering if you could measure the total travle and how many turns lok to lock.

Thanks, Rick
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick,

My EHPS is in Atlanta right now at Whodeanie's and I just got back from Atlanta last night. Other photos will have to wait until my next trip back after Dean has moved into the new shop.

Nelson

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Thanks for the pics. Could you get me some closer pics of the rack.
Also wondering if you could measure the total travle and how many turns lok to lock.

Thanks, Rick

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rick,

My EHPS is in Atlanta right now at Whodeanie's and I just got back from Atlanta last night. Other photos will have to wait until my next trip back after Dean has moved into the new shop.

Nelson

Thanks

PRJPerformance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PRJPerformanceClick Here to visit PRJPerformance's HomePageSend a Private Message to PRJPerformanceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't think GM release the EHPS to production? Were these a late run option, or dealer or aftermarket installed option...

Reason I ask is I just picked up an 88 GT (TTop) and it is on it way from California to me. The idiots from the transport company hooked the winch cable to the rack to pull it up on the hauler, and busted something on the rack (it looks like one of the 87 and earlier dampers is what they broke) so wondering if a 87 rack was installed as a replacement on the car, or a damper was added to the 88 rack.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PRJPerformance:

I didn't think GM release the EHPS to production? Were these a late run option, or dealer or aftermarket installed option...

Reason I ask is I just picked up an 88 GT (TTop) and it is on it way from California to me. The idiots from the transport company hooked the winch cable to the rack to pull it up on the hauler, and busted something on the rack (it looks like one of the 87 and earlier dampers is what they broke) so wondering if a 87 rack was installed as a replacement on the car, or a damper was added to the 88 rack.

There were some cars with power steering released to the public (for feedback). They shouldn't be out there, but they are

GM official did not release them, dealers didn't install, or service them ... officially. Of course, there are examples out there and some made it into the hands of individuals.

FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are correct- the EHPS never made production officially, though as jakispyder said, some reports suggest that a few of the pre-production cars that had the units may have made it into private hands.

The '88 rack certainly doesn't have a damper on it so I'd say it's likely someone has rigged something up on the '88 you just bought though.I highly doubt you lucked into an EHPS equipped car.

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 06-21-2013).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick, I sent you a PM.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanatic13:

The '88 rack certainly doesn't have a damper on it so I'd say it's likely someone has rigged something up on the '88 you just bought though.I highly doubt you lucked into an EHPS equipped car.

Or he didn't buy an 88... Got the VIN number right?
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney used to sell a Tru-Line steering dampner for the 88's, so maybe it has one of those.

http://my.execpc.com/~rodney1/damper.htm
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Rodney used to sell a Tru-Line steering dampner for the 88's, so maybe it has one of those.

http://my.execpc.com/~rodney1/damper.htm

Excellent point!
PRJPerformance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRJPerformanceClick Here to visit PRJPerformance's HomePageSend a Private Message to PRJPerformanceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Or he didn't buy an 88... Got the VIN number right?

Yes, I got a VIN and it is indeed an 88. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. BTW, I didn't buy it, it was given to me. Just had to pay for transport. I did have to buy some replacement TTops as they were missing, but scored some in a junk yard in decent condition for $180. I also need to get a replacement drivers window, but those look pretty easy to find and several within an hour drive from me.

PRJPerformance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRJPerformanceClick Here to visit PRJPerformance's HomePageSend a Private Message to PRJPerformanceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it got delivered today. It looks like the whole front suspension might be a pre-88 suspension (going by drawings in AllData) Bummer if it is. Anyone have pictures of what the 88 GT Front suspension should look like. Or what to look for to tell the difference. The rack is definitely a pre-88 rack with the damper (no EHPS) and it looks like perhaps the whole front end was replaced from an accident (red/burgundy paint under the black)

Almost no rust an where (some very minor surface rust on the front suspension components) But every piece of rubber is dry rotted from baking in the California sun for 25 years (he last 14 of which it was non-operational)
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, it got delivered today. It looks like the whole front suspension might be a pre-88 suspension (going by drawings in AllData) Bummer if it is. Anyone have pictures of what the 88 GT Front suspension should look like. Or what to look for to tell the difference. The rack is definitely a pre-88 rack with the damper (no EHPS) and it looks like perhaps the whole front end was replaced from an accident (red/burgundy paint under the black)

Almost no rust an where (some very minor surface rust on the front suspension components) But every piece of rubber is dry rotted from baking in the California sun for 25 years (he last 14 of which it was non-operational)

That sucks if they really did replace the '88 front suspension with a pre-'88 set up. Here is a pic from another thread on the forum of the '88 front end where you can see how different the controls arms and spindle/hub carrier actually are, plus the shock is INSIDE the coil spring:

PRJPerformance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRJPerformanceClick Here to visit PRJPerformance's HomePageSend a Private Message to PRJPerformanceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanatic13:

That sucks if they really did replace the '88 front suspension with a pre-'88 set up. Here is a pic from another thread on the forum of the '88 front end where you can see how different the controls arms and spindle/hub carrier actually are, plus the shock is INSIDE the coil spring:

Thanks for posting that... Ya... Definitely don't have that setup 8-(

I'm betting it is gonna be pretty hard to find a complete 88 front suspension.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's not something that can just be unbolted and replaced with the earlier (or later) version.
What does the rear suspension look like? If each side has two horizontal (one is adjustable) links and a trailing link, it's an 88. If it has a lower A arm like the front, it's the earlier suspension.

I'm wondering if someone swapped VINs on you. I know you said that it was given to you, but be careful.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-25-2013).]

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't there a secondary VIN that can be seen under the driver's speaker? Also 87&88s have VIN stickers on the panels. Look for sticker at rear of drivers door for a VIN, even though door could've been replaced.
PRJPerformance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PRJPerformanceClick Here to visit PRJPerformance's HomePageSend a Private Message to PRJPerformanceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll will look at the alternative VIN locations and the rear suspension tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Disappointed that it doesn't have the 88 GT front suspension, and if it isn't a real 88 even more disappointed... But it is a good clean chassis. Amazing how a 25 year old Fiero can have nearly no rust, while my 15 year old Grand Prix is rusting away from being in the Midwest all those years (strut towers and rocker panels going badly, and have lost both rear brake lines from rust)

Was the improved suspension on all model of the 88's? Or only the GTs?
PRJPerformance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PRJPerformanceClick Here to visit PRJPerformance's HomePageSend a Private Message to PRJPerformanceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PRJPerformance

32 posts
Member since Aug 2009

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

Isn't there a secondary VIN that can be seen under the driver's speaker? Also 87&88s have VIN stickers on the panels. Look for sticker at rear of drivers door for a VIN, even though door could've been replaced.

I'm actually pretty sure the drivers door has been replaced. It is still missing the drivers window, and the outside handle is not functional.
PFF
System Bot
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

That's not something that can just be unbolted and replaced with the earlier (or later) version.
What does the rear suspension look like? If each side has two horizontal (one is adjustable) links and a trailing link, it's an 88. If it has a lower A arm like the front, it's the earlier suspension.

I'm wondering if someone swapped VINs on you. I know you said that it was given to you, but be careful.

Second this. It isn't a quick change to do this, so either you DO have a car with a swapped VIN or somebody REALLY wanted to retrofit an '88 with the earlier suspension...

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 06-25-2013).]

PRJPerformance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PRJPerformanceClick Here to visit PRJPerformance's HomePageSend a Private Message to PRJPerformanceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Checked the rear suspension, it looks as you describe (two horizontal lateral links, front one is adjustable) Looks just like the drawing of the 88 in AllData

Drivers door no VIN on it and definitely been replaced. VIN at base of windsheild on drivers side matches VIN on passenger door. Hood and drivers inner wheel well have a different VIN on them than the other two. Didn't check on passenger inner wheel well (covered by washer fluid bottle probably)

So looks like the whole front end has been replaced on this 88 with an earlier version.

I suspect the front end was wrecked, and the proper 88 parts weren't available so shop retrofitted the earlier stuff to it.

[This message has been edited by PRJPerformance (edited 06-25-2013).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Was the improved suspension on all model of the 88's? Or only the GTs?

The 1988 Fieros have the 1988 suspension... it was the same all around.

Again, it was asked but it looks like it was missed... does the car's rear suspension have two lateral links and a trailing arm? Or is it a lower A-arm with a ball joint and a tie rod?

EDIT: We were both writing our post at the same time...

It is possible that the car was an 84-87 modified with an 88 rear cradle swap, it is not that uncommon. I would definitely look for other VINs on the car. An 88 would have had VINs all over the body panels.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 06-25-2013).]

PRJPerformance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PRJPerformanceClick Here to visit PRJPerformance's HomePageSend a Private Message to PRJPerformanceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

The 1988 Fieros have the 1988 suspension... it was the same all around.

Again, it was asked but it looks like it was missed... does the car's rear suspension have two lateral links and a trailing arm? Or is it a lower A-arm with a ball joint and a tie rod?

It has the two lateral links.

BTW, if a moderator wants to move this discussion to a new thread, please do so.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It has the two lateral links.

BTW, if a moderator wants to move this discussion to a new thread, please do so.

If you post a picture of the top of the struts in the engine bay we can tell you whether or not it is an '88 chassis for sure. Otherwise it's still possible someone put an '88 rear suspension in an earlier car.
PRJPerformance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRJPerformanceClick Here to visit PRJPerformance's HomePageSend a Private Message to PRJPerformanceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

If you post a picture of the top of the struts in the engine bay we can tell you whether or not it is an '88 chassis for sure. Otherwise it's still possible someone put an '88 rear suspension in an earlier car.

All the VIN's I have found on the back half match up with the 88 VIN that is on the metal tag under the windshield. The rivets attaching that tag look original. I'll snap a few pics of the engine bay/strut tower and then start a new thread for my build and post link to new thread here.

I started a new thread for by build with pictures of the rear strut towers and rear suspension
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/092178.html

[This message has been edited by PRJPerformance (edited 06-25-2013).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I learned from another Fiero owner when I was at Carlisle that West Coast Fiero makes or once made an adapter bracket that is used to mount a Trans am power steering rack. Then you add an electro hydraulic pump, have lines made up, connect a relay and wires and you've got power steering. If you must have P.S. the electric pump is the way to go since it doesn't rob much horsepower. Unless you parallel park a lot, I can't see that power steering is needed.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I learned from another Fiero owner when I was at Carlisle that West Coast Fiero makes or once made an adapter bracket that is used to mount a Trans am power steering rack. Then you add an electro hydraulic pump, have lines made up, connect a relay and wires and you've got power steering. If you must have P.S. the electric pump is the way to go since it doesn't rob much horsepower. Unless you parallel park a lot, I can't see that power steering is needed.

And there he is.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe it took Dennis over a year to find this thread!

I can't see that power steering is needed.

Or, because racecar.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis,

With 265 x 50 x 15 tires on the front, power steering would be nice at low speeds. You do have to muscle those tires a bit to get going in anything other than a straight line.

Nelson
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis,

With 265 x 50 x 15 tires on the front, power steering would be nice at low speeds. You do have to muscle those tires a bit to get going in anything other than a straight line.

Nelson

What is the advantage in putting 265 x 50 x 15 tires on the front???
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the aftermarket Link Racing 12.5:1 power steering kit in my 88 Mera. It is the best addition I have made to my 88 Mera. One hand fast ratio power steering. What a joy to drive.

I'm amazed at how many can say it is not needed but yet have never driven a Fiero with it in. How can you judge it if you have never experienced it???

Rodney Dickman
1988 Mera
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I put the aftermarket Link Racing 12.5:1 power steering kit in my 88 Mera. It is the best addition I have made to my 88 Mera. One hand fast ratio power steering. What a joy to drive.

I'm amazed at how many can say it is not needed but yet have never driven a Fiero with it in. How can you judge it if you have never experienced it???

Rodney Dickman
1988 Mera

Rodney: All of my daily drivers have power steering. My Fiero does not. In all the years that I have driven it, I have not experienced any problems. I turn the wheel and the car responds. The car drives fine and I like the direct road feel. . Fiero manual steering is fine for my use but maybe not for a heavier Mera.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis,
I would assume that this is on Nelson's Mera... Probably the beautiful SC's one...

Originally posted by Rodney:

Rodney Dickman

Rodney,
Do you have a link for the power steering kit?

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I turn the wheel and the car responds.

So does mine but at a 12.5:1 ratio. Just like factory sports cars like the Trans Ams and such. What a joy to drive. Tight instant response. One handed one quarter turn of the wheel to go around a corner. Lane changes on the freeway is just a slight twitch of the wheel. Again: what a joy to drive it with 12.5:1 ratio power steering. You can change the pressure relief spring to make it easier or harder. I left in the spring he had it in. I like it as is. Just slightly firm.

Rodney
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
There are no more Link Racing power steering kits available. He sold out of them many years ago.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
A reasonable comparison would be a base model Camero against the top of the line Camero steering wise. The top of the line Camero will have a faster ratio tighter feeling steering than the base model. Like the now long gone 93-02 base Firebird compared to the 93-02 Trans Am. I had a 1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am long ago with the 12.5:1 ratio steering (standard equipment in that model). What a joy that steering was. Tight, fast and very responsive. That is what I have now in my 88 Mera. I really feel like I have a very fast ratio sporty steering in my 88 Mera.

Rodney
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They happen to fit there and are still available in a few places. I have not seen a 245 x 50 x 15 tire in several years. The factory stock size was 245 x 50 x 15 on the fronts and 265 x 50 x 15 on the rear.

Nelson

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Race car, of course.

Anyway, if you're never in a situation where you actually have to turn the car quickly, then there isn't really any need for power steering. But if you need to transition the car quickly (e.g. autocross and technical road courses) it's impossible to turn the wheel fast enough with the stock steering. The ratio is simply too slow.

I actually don't like the power steering all that much on the street. It's a little to easy. But the slow stock rack was still worse.

The true benefits are:
* Fast ratio
* Newer racks with WAY less play in them than the old worn out Fiero crap

You may now proceed to the next thread on power steering where you can say "I don't know why anyone would want power steering in a Fiero."

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 07-02-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock