Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  what factory stereo was offered with premium sound?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
what factory stereo was offered with premium sound? by TejasFiero
Started on: 05-09-2012 03:43 AM
Replies: 14 (1206 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 01-19-2014 12:09 AM
TejasFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TejasFieroSend a Private Message to TejasFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What was the premium sound system in 88? What stereo was used? Any othe pontiacs have the same head unit?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cassette with the EQ.
I believe the pushbutton volume/balance controls had gone away by then.
Of course, the subwoofer and amplifier.
The cassette with EQ was a fairly common unit in other Pontiacs. (Other GM cars too, but they didn't have the red backlighting.)

Within a year or two a CD headunit became available that looked just like the factory cassette.
They're fairly uncommon, though.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-09-2012).]

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The above Delco Pontiac CD head unit is the one that most closely matches the factory cassette/EQ radio that came with most performance sound systems in 87/88. I have this unit in my 88. It plugs into the factory perfomance sound wiring using a factory GM harness and antenna adapter kit. These units were only available in early top end Bonneville's, Grand Prix's and Firebirds. I believe the last year this style was available was 1994. Thre are not many of these early CD's out there, but they look like they could have been installed in the Fiero from the factory.

I have run this system in my Fiero for years and it has been trouble free. Later Delco units tend to develop problems with the volume control. You should check this before you purchase one of the newer versions.

Delco also offered a similar EQ Casette in the Fiero that was all push button instead of having the volume and tuning knobs. They are not as easy to adjust while driving but were an available option on the Fiero with Performance Sound.
deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about this...will a Cadillac Symphony Sound AM-FM Cassette with equalizer from a 1990 Deville interchange with the stock radio in a 1986 2m4 ?

On another subject...anyone need a 1990 Deville, 4.9 ???

------------------

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deceler8:

How about this...will a Cadillac Symphony Sound AM-FM Cassette with equalizer from a 1990 Deville interchange with the stock radio in a 1986 2m4 ?

On another subject...anyone need a 1990 Deville, 4.9 ???

Probably will fit but you will still need the harness/antenna adapter kit, and the lighting will not be red like the Pontiac radio
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this was one model up as well.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-10-2012).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15145 posts
Member since Nov 1999
First one is similar to Delco Part # 16182625 http://www.mnrelectronics.com/deamcdpa161.html

Second one is similar to Delco Part # 16168841 http://www.mnrelectronics.com/deamcdpa16.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-10-2012).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will any of the Delco CD units mentioned here play MP3 or WMA files burned onto data CDs (which will provide several hours of music), or are they all limited to playing "proper" audio CDs (which basically use large WAV files)?
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-10-2012 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^ no..
and the red back lighting is nothing more than a bulb change..
the catt unit is better as you can mod it and add a aux input. for i pod/mp3 players
XgovernmentAgent

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.mnrelectronics.com/demopa16amcd.html

The Monsoon from a early 2000 Trans Am is a common swap and the GM9-Aux allows for an aux input.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XgovernmentAgent:

The Monsoon from a early 2000 Trans Am is a common swap and the GM9-Aux allows for an aux input.

Yup. The GM9 (has 2 RCA jacks) connnects any MP3 using the headphone jack.
For an iPod use a P.I.E PXDP iPod adapter (PXHGM1 cable connects to deck).
http://www.sonicelectronix....PXDP-Peripheral.html

PXDP manual http://peripheralelectronic...XDP_instructions.pdf

See here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000031.html

Keep in mind there's other brands of interfaces available, but I've only used these two.

PFF
System Bot
sniper69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sniper69Send a Private Message to sniper69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By chance is there a factory Pontiac stereo that has both cd and cassette along with an equalizer? I ask as I'm assuming an equalizer is needed to work with the performance sound in an 86 GT.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sniper69:

By chance is there a factory Pontiac stereo that has both cd and cassette along with an equalizer? I ask as I'm assuming an equalizer is needed to work with the performance sound in an 86 GT.

http://replacementradios.co...208&products_id=1778
sniper69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sniper69Send a Private Message to sniper69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

http://replacementradios.co...208&products_id=1778

Thanks for the link. Will that stereo work with the performance sound? And is there one like that stereo that also has the equalizer - or is the equalizer not needed?

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The description on that one says it has a tuneable equalizer. Guess they went that route because there wasn't enough room for a slide button equalizer. My Ford radio is designed that way. I don't know about the performance sound compatability. Someone else will need to answer that, but if the premium sound gets its input off the standard Fiero harness, then by using the plug and play adapter, it should function.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock