Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  My first Fiero and a 3800sc swap (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My first Fiero and a 3800sc swap by BlownFiero86
Started on: 05-04-2012 11:55 PM
Replies: 197 (25331 views)
Last post by: BlownFiero86 on 11-13-2013 10:46 PM
BlownFiero86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last night I built the coil overs and drilled one of the ones to prepare for the 88 cradle and tonight I ordered my cables from cali push pull for the F23 trans. Spent the other part of the night working on the front brakes for my plow truck (85 k5 blaser) only to find out I have a leak in a rear line also. Oh well, I still love working on old cars.

IP: Logged
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My c4 vette rotors came in yesterday and should be getting the engine block back this. Lots of work and pics to come.
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O.K. so I bought a set of rims off craigslist. They are not the best looking rims and the chrome has some issues but I got them for $250 with halfway decent tire on them. I bought them so I could continue on with the corvette rotors.

The corvette rotors are very impressive looking, especially when put beside the factory rotors.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
I made a tool out of an old wheel bearing hub as suggested in another thread and drilled out the corvette rotors to fit the fiero. Once I got the tool the way I wanted it, drilling out the rotors was surprisingly easy. Here are some pics.

This is before

The finished product
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once again the rims are either just for now or will be done something to make them look better, (with that being said) here are what the rotors look like mounted on the cradle with caliper and wheel.

85bluegtma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good job on the build i like them brakes
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

85bluegtma

151 posts
Member since Sep 2012

Originally posted by BlownFiero86:

After some poly motor mounts from WCF and some new axles, bearings, balljoints, poly suspension bushings, toe links, and seals it is actually starting to look like something

where did u get the bearings and axles for the swap?
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2012 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bearigs and axles are new in the pics, but they are just stock replacement Fiero axles and bearings. Nothing special, just picked them up at the local auto parts store.

[This message has been edited by BlownFiero86 (edited 11-13-2012).]

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2012 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The bearigs and axles are new in the pics, but they are just stock replacement Fiero axles and bearings. Nothing special, just picked them up at the local auto parts store.

ah ok just was wondering cause they looked so pretty
so your swap uses both stock fiero axles?
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2012 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, using both stock fiero axles in pic with stock trans. Currently using both stock axles with f23 trans swap. Thanks for the questions, Ben
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2012 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the custom f23 cables in today from california push pull and they are sweet!! I will probably work on the car this weekend and get a few pics of the cables.
PFF
System Bot
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been very busy st the garage and have unfortunatly forgot to slow down enough to take some pics. I have my shift cable mount bracket fabrication complete and ready for paint. I picked up my motor from the machine shop on monday and began putting everything back together again. I spent both of my days off working at the garage after running some errands. I basically have a long block now and have it on the cradle with the trans. Now I need to fab up my front trans mount and I am thinking about adding another engine mount for strength. I am using zzp H beam rods and dimond pistons in the motor which has lightened the the pistons from factory about 7.5 lbs total and also deleted the balancing shaft which weighs in at 5.5 lbs. I need to finish porting and modifying the intake manifold. Hopefully in the next week I will be about ready to install the cradle back into the car. I am sooooo excited to see how it runs with all the modifications and the new f23 trans. Here is some pics the finish this update.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
I just realized that I bolted up the sway bar wrong. Looking at the pics after I posted thinking something wasn't right. OOOPPPPSSSS
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

O.K. so I bought a set of rims off craigslist. They are not the best looking rims and the chrome has some issues but I got them for $250 with halfway decent tire on them. I bought them so I could continue on with the corvette rotors.

The corvette rotors are very impressive looking, especially when put beside the factory rotors.

Hey! I like your choice in rims... Look familiar? Mine were corroded so, I sanded them down and I re-sprayed them in a metallic gunmetal Before!

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project now tearing up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels, suspension and more! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still love the brakes... Ill be interested in how they are biased
so thats a 88 caliper with c3 vette rotors?
any additional mounting brackets and where did u get them?
are you using stock master and booster?
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made the brackets off of a pattern I found here on the forum. I am going to design a bracket for the front which is still 86 so I can use an 88 caliper. I plan to use stock master cylinder with the 88 calipers because according to what I have found they have the same bore piston as the 86 caliper. Using these calipers should keep the factory bias with larger rotors that should improve the brakes by about 15% because of the extra leverage on the center of the hub. I may upgrade the booster but am unsure at this time. I will probably drive it and see what I think. The rims that I have are corroded on the chrome so I will probably end up doing the same thing with mine as you have done.
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O.K. it has been a little while since I have posted so I have a lot of pictures and info to add. I have mainly been assembling the motor and taking my time doing it. However the last couple of days have gone really well for productivity. The first thing I have is my front mount for the f23 trans. There is not a lot to mount to on the one that I have, except for the top, where it mounted in the cobalt. I took some scrap metal that was under the welding bench and through together a rough structure.

After some modifications for strength and aesthetics, this is what I ended up with. It may not be the best, but I think it is strong enough and it didn't cost me anything.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
I also got the shift cables changed out with the new ones from cali-push pull and changed out the 86 e-brake cable that goes into the car for the 88 so it will work with the new cradle. I did not get pictures but hope to post some later of the radiator in the car. Before I came to work tonight I put the altenator on and a few other things and took the cradle off the saw horses and put it on the roller. Then put the wiring harness on and hooked up all the vacuum and intake pressure hoses.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
Almost forgot that this time around I stole an idea that I seen on the forum here a while back. I can't remember where I seen it, but they drilled and tapped the coolant port in the intake and the water pump housing to a 3/4 pipe thread. I put a plug in the water pump housing instead of capping it off at the port in the tensioner pulley bracket and used a barb fitting with a 90 barb fitting to send the out going line along with the main coolant tube to the firewall for the heater core. I think it will clean up the install a little and it keeps me from running the extra 3 feet of hose I had run before from the heater core to back side of the engine. Here's a good pic of the barb fittings.

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. It's a shame that those rods wont be able to stretch their legs with that blower.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 12-06-2012).]

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to stick with the supercharger for now but I do tend to be one of those people that just can't leave things alone. Only thing I own that has never been tweeked is the wife's car because she said NO!!! LOL
PFF
System Bot
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have driven the car for over 250 miles and I am loving it. The looks that people give you are hilarious. I walked out of a store with my wife and as we are walking throuh the parking lot one says to a another "dude do you not see the fiero sitting there" the other guy " that is awesome". I walked up to get in the car and they asked if it was mine and told me I had a really cool car. The best part is I didn't show them what was under the hood.
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have driven the car for over 250 miles and I am loving it. The looks that people give you are hilarious. I walked out of a store with my wife and as we are walking throuh the parking lot one says to a another "dude do you not see the fiero sitting there" the other guy " that is awesome". I walked up to get in the car and they asked if it was mine and told me I had a really cool car. The best part is I didn't show them what was under the hood.

Yeah, the wow factor makes it worth all the effort to keep them going, especially when they're done up nice like some of the member's cars here.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 12-23-2012).]

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for updates! Great build thread, should probably be in the construction zone with some of the innovations presented.

HAGO!
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Sage, I got the fender changed out today that I got off of you. The car looks a lot better already. Hope to see you agian soon when the weather breaks.
fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, Sage is a great guy and I need to get down to see him again and take him a ride in the fiero he sold me. Nice build by the way!!!. Thanks Lonnie
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I need a ride in both the cars you guys built! Good to see you back FF25.

Glad the fender worked ok for ya. Man it got cold here since you were here! Any wind damage in your area? We had some helatious winds last night (Wednesday).

HAGO!
peterh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Enjoyed read your thread. What size is your garage?
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as measurements go I am not sure how big the garage is. The garage is my dads, which he doesn't use all that much anymore and I kind of inherited. The tools are a collection of the one he inherited from his dad, his, and now mine that I have added. I do not claim to be this great mechanic, but we have always worked on our own cars and been taught well enough to get by from father to son. By the way he is really proud of how the car is coming and that probably means more to me than anything.

[This message has been edited by BlownFiero86 (edited 01-31-2013).]

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
I went with a buddy today to Lancaster, which is about an hour away. He wanted to go look at a fiero and ended up buying it. On the way home we stopped at the local lake and took a few pics of the cars together.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2013 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the car out tonight and ran it a little bit to see what it had. I changed out the break in oil the other day and everything looked pretty good, so this is the first video since the forged internals, ported intake, and balancing shaft delete. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY1BXG2Qpwc
PFF
System Bot
tntcary

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2013 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the most original builds I have followed. Just amazing work, well done dude!
fierolover87

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just watched your video. I've been wanting to do a 3800 SC conversion. Love it! I think I'll save the F23 conversion for when I do it.
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took my brother for a ride and was showing off, ran it up to 2000 rpm and and dropped the clutch in first and the car did not move. Engine reved, but the car would not go in any gear. After looking under the hood I found that I had sheared an axle clean in two. It twisted off so quick that it broke off striaght as if you cut it with a knife. Here are some pics.

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work!

Now, get yourself some stock Fiero inner cups an be done with that problem. Replacement parts are known for inferior quality.
86gt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86gt3800Send a Private Message to 86gt3800Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing build. I am wanting to do a 3800sc swap aswell but going with the automatic. Would u be willing to make another lower alternator bracket?
loudecuz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loudecuzClick Here to visit loudecuz's HomePageSend a Private Message to loudecuzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What trans is on the 3.8 is it an auto trans? I am having issues keeping the trans from coming apart during a race any suggestions?/

------------------
Lou

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sold the original 3.8 trans out of the riviera because I wanted to stick with the manual trans. As far as what I had read before the F23 is one of the stronger trans so that is what I went with. As for my opinion goes, I love the F23. Using the 09 cobalt trans for the higher gearing and the smoothness of the shifting compared to the original getrag, it makes driving the car even that much more fun. I have beat on my trans pretty hard, I even went so far as snapping an axle without any problems out of the trans. Highly recomend the F23 if you do not mind having a standard, because I love mine. With all the things on the car that I would go back and do differently the transmission is not one of them. Thanks for checking out my thread and let me know if you need anything else.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock