Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  My first Fiero and a 3800sc swap (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My first Fiero and a 3800sc swap by BlownFiero86
Started on: 05-04-2012 11:55 PM
Replies: 197 (25327 views)
Last post by: BlownFiero86 on 11-13-2013 10:46 PM
akademikjeanius

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

I'm gonna go with Motegi Track Lites I think and some Nitto drag radials...

+1!
IP: Logged
BlownFiero86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the car done machanically and have been driving it. It is a blast to drive, even if it is not as pretty as I would like for it to be. It seems like people can't help but to look at it going down the road, some even wave or give me a thumbs up. I love the car, the way it handles, and all the power ir has. Now starts the long journy of restoring the interior and exterior a piece at a time. Here is a video of the exhaust I chose to run, they are true dual 2.5 inch stainless to magnaflow mufflers. Let me know what you think of how it sounds and looks. Oh and about the belt squeal, I got that fixed the next day.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...re=player_detailpage

[This message has been edited by BlownFiero86 (edited 10-31-2012).]

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds pretty neat! Loud but neat!

how do you have the 02 sensor hooked up Do you have it in a crossover between the 2 pipes?
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no crossover, the pipes are true dual. I actually put the O2 sensor in one side only, I know that it should meter both sides but one side should get me close enough. I have thought about adding another sensor for the other side but have not made up my mind yet. By the way, the garage makes the car sound a little louder than what it really is. It is by no means quit, but you can talk to your passenger without raising your voice while driving down the highway.

[This message has been edited by BlownFiero86 (edited 07-03-2012).]

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't need an o2 sensor anyway if you tune it right and don't have to pass emissions in your area.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ask about the O2 because Have a Running driving 3800 fiero right now and would love to have a exhaust set up like that.

I had my Pcm tuned by Darth I wonder if the pcm would support the single O2 just in one side of the pipe?

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am getting code related to the egr, O2 sensor number 2, which I no longer have, but no problems with number one O2 sensor. By the way plan on having dyno tune and fix code then.
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2012 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I changed the break in oil today and trans fluid again because I am hoping it will clean out the tranny a little. I also installed a ADDCO rear anti-sway bar and WOW!!! End result is a car with a little easier shifts (or so I think) and alot tighter handling. If anyone is thinking of getting a rear anti-sway bar, my vote is a YES. It really helped the stability when backing out of the throttle and quick manuvers.
deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2012 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if I did a small crossover to put the single o2 sensor I have in if I would have issues?
Or if it would change sound all that much.

I really would like to have that style exhaust setup for sure.
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After doing some break in on the motor I am finally able to play around with it some. By the way this car is a lot more fun than I expected it to be. It hadles a drives suprizingly well, and is very quick. To show just how quick it is I shot some video to show you guys. Here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLKnpN6Th6Y
Let me know what you think. Thanks, Ben

[This message has been edited by BlownFiero86 (edited 07-12-2012).]

Axl_Rose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Axl_RoseSend a Private Message to Axl_RoseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wanna do mine?! hahaha
PFF
System Bot
slideways

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slidewaysSend a Private Message to slidewaysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds incredible, paddling through the gears like a row boat. I can't wait to get mine going...
Leukay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeukaySend a Private Message to LeukayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That car looks and sounds fantastic! When I get back to Athens you are definitely gonna have to take me for a spin in that thing regardless of whether I have my car done yet or not haha. It's gonna make me look foolish with my little 84 duke
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deezil:

I ask about the O2 because Have a Running driving 3800 fiero right now and would love to have a exhaust set up like that.

I had my Pcm tuned by Darth I wonder if the pcm would support the single O2 just in one side of the pipe?

Yep. NP Just program the second o2 out.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by BlownFiero86:

After doing some break in on the motor I am finally able to play around with it some. By the way this car is a lot more fun than I expected it to be. It hadles a drives suprizingly well, and is very quick. To show just how quick it is I shot some video to show you guys. Here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLKnpN6Th6Y
Let me know what you think. Thanks, Ben

Take that puppy to the drag strip and get a 1/4 mile time. Also it looks like the head gaskets sealed ok?
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Take that puppy to the drag strip and get a 1/4 mile time. Also it looks like the head gaskets sealed ok?

Yes, with video please.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Me and my buddy from took the cars out this morning and put them up agaisnt each other to see what they had. I was sitting pretty in front of him through first second and third, but at the end of third gear every time he would pass me. By the way he is running a built motor with a turbo putting out 20# of boost in a nissan 240sx. I don't feel that bad about it because his car is awsome. I was extremly happy that I could pull on him through the first three gears. Maybe some videos of that later.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bet it's more trans than engine. Aren't the Getrags geared pretty short?

Jonathan
slideways

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slidewaysSend a Private Message to slidewaysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm curious what you've done for the intake, air box or no? Sounds like a nice balance of blower whine / exhaust
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The intake is from west coast fiero and the exhaust is my own creation.
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been driving the car some and enjoying it. Trying to break in the new motor, so I haven't done much to the car lately. I parked it the other day because it has developed a oil leak behind the balancing pulling. I think because the rings are not fully seated in, I have to much crank case pressure. I bought a relief filter from ZZP that goes where the oil fill cap is. Also just recieved my shifter assembly rebuild kit from rodney and the hurst shifter (which by the way looks awesome). I will try to get some pics on here soon, it has just been crazy this week. I will probably get around to fixing the oil leak and installing the parts from Rodney next week. Until then I thought I would post this cool pic (or at least I think it is cool) of the car that I took in the drive way after a storm that we had.

PFF
System Bot
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey! where did the girl go? Please tell me you kept her.
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to talk the wife into a photo with it. She calls the car my mistress, so maybe they shouldn't get a pic together.LOL
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recently had some problem with the motor after about 1200 miles. Main bearings look horrible, I think it is a problem with the crank shaft. While I have the motor out I going to go ahead and replace my 282 with a F23 so I hope to have pics soon to show the continued build. I should be picking up a 2009 cobalt trans tomorrow and have 2001 cavy transmission lined up for the bell housing. Wish me luck.
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dropped off my other 3800 block today to be cleaned, bored, and fitted for forged internals. Also ended up buy a f23 trans out of 01 cavalier and a fy1 3.63 f23 out of an 09 cobalt. I am sorry I did not take any pics because by the time I got back to the garage to unload my truck, all I wanted to do was go home and sleep after being up for over 24 hours. I am hoping to start on the trans swap early next week and will take some good pictures for you guys then.
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the housings split and it is amazing that two transmissions 8 years apart and for two different vehicles and bell housing and just exactly the same. Except for final drive that is.

eljibaro127

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2012 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eljibaro127Send a Private Message to eljibaro127Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates?
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, here lately a few things have drawn me away fromthe car but the last few nights have went back into full swing. I was able to pick up an 88 cradle from Sage here in Ohio. So now it looks like I will also be doing an 88 cradle swap. Here are a few picks of the cradle. Iwas able to clean it up last night and put the first coat of paint on it last night but unfortunatly forgot to take some pics.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been getting a lot done this weekend, I will try to post updates with pics here in couple of days. Had to through up a post because I am so excited with how much I have gotten done. See ya later!!
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O.K. so over the weekend I made an effort to spend some time on the car. The first thing I done was sand blast all the suspension links for the 88 cradle and the cleaned and sand blasted the cradle. Unfortunatly I did not think to take pics once I cleaned the cradle before I started painting it but here are some pics of the cradle after some paint.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
After I got all the parts painted I started putting the new poly bushings in all the link and attaching them to the cradle.

PFF
System Bot
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
While waiting for the paint to dry on the cradle and other parts, I pulled the original radiator and started getting things ready for the new champion 3 row aluminum radiator and new fans. The only promblem I had is the supports for the A/C condensor were rusted in two. So I pulled the set off the parts car I had sitting out side and started to clean and paint them. Her are some pics of the old and new radiator.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had some help stop by the garage over the weekend. My niece made Mamaw bring to the garage so she could see Uncle Ben.

She was alot of help

After she left I went to the parts car to pull the cradle on it so I could start breaking it apart for some parts I needed and a friend is looking at buying a fiero with a rod knock and wants to rebuild this motor (because it is believed to be undamaged).

[This message has been edited by BlownFiero86 (edited 10-26-2012).]

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
The coolest thing that I done this weekend was I took a set of old front rotors and put the on the layth and turned them down and cut the rotors off so the would fit a set of 88 Beretta rotors. However now I think I am looking more towards doing the 12 inch corvette rotors and 88 caliper upgrade. It was still cool seeing how well they turned out.

------------------
86GT, 3800SC, GETRAG, true duals, 3.4 pulley, comp VS cam, zzp match flow injectors, zzp power log, WCF air intake, ARP bolts, comp lifters and push rods, 90# springs, SI stainless valves, aero-force scantech meter.
Here is my build thread //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122548.html

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the trans together, all the seals on it, and the input shaft grinded down to match the input shaft of the original 282 getrag trans. It has the rear mount bolted on, I am going to get the engine bolted to the trans and the cradle and use the two mounting points and measurements off the original cradle and trans to make the front mount.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
Last night I made and speed buffering cricuit to go from the ECM to speedo. I wanted a way to house it and keep it from having any issues with moisture. I also wanted to be able to go back to it fairly easy if there was ever a problem with it. So I took a relay out of a late 90's grand am, pulled out the guts and cut them off and threw it away. I took a waffer disc and built the circuit on it and soldered it to the base of the relay, then super glued it back in the relay housing. Now I can wire the tail off the relay into the wiring harness and if I ever have any problem I can just unplug it and build a new one.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
I started making a set of brackets for a corvette rotor upgrade on the 88 cradle the other night. I got the info for the deminsions from this thread here on the forum. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/112414.html . I finished them last night and order the vette rotors, so here in a couple of days I should know how well they will work.

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow looks great! With all your doing it will drive fantastic too, it's always fun doing more modifications! It seems you know a lot about exhaust, I want to do a simple, cheap, loud one... Would a y pipe 2.5" comming straight off the manifold with a flex joint, then straight piped 2.5" into resonator tips be a good way to go? Noise is not a problem but I have no welding skills, it needs to be done for me... Sound like a good plan?

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project soon to tear up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as knowing alot about exhaust, I do not. There are alot of people out there that know way more than I do, I just try to get by on doing my stuff. With that being said, if you know a local small exhaust shop (you know the kind of guys who are not afraid to go agaisnt the rules). Usually you can tell them about what you want and they will take care of you. Something you should think about though, quiet does not always mean restricted it just means well managed if it is dones right. If you listen to my video's, all I am running is one muffler on each pipe which is very little restriction considering you can stick a 2 inch pipe right through the muffler. Even with that being the case it is not that loud and kind of hides what is going on under the hood. It is no fun when you can't hold a conversation with your passenger going down the road. Good luck with your exhaust and I'll check you build thread to see how it goes.
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks I appreciate that, it's more of I don't mind it loud because loud is cheap kinda thing

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project soon to tear up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock